Any Advice for a Sampler?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
archer

Any Advice for a Sampler?

Post by archer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm looking to purchase a serious hardware sampler. What do any of you use or recommend?

I generally don't like samples, I like to craft my sounds myself. However, I feel if I found the right tool I could get more into sampling. It would primarily be used for atmospherics for tracks, as my moogs/drum machines/guitars do everything else. It would be cool to learn some tricks and use the sampler for more than atmosperics though. Maybe for drum sounds actually sampled from live drums?

I'm considering the Akai s3200xl just because I hear its workflow is very synth-like, which sounds awesome to me. I've tried the MPCs and I just don't see the hype. After working with my Voyager for so long, the MPC's interface is horrible! Need something more straightforward.

Also thinking about the Octatrack, but I have a good feeling that this would just be a cool extra piece of gear and not good for a main sampler. Plus I hear it takes a while to get used to its interface.

Anything that will sequence or work with my Voyager and modular would be an extra plus!

kamilof

Re: Any Advice for a Sampler?

Post by kamilof » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 pm

For a couple of years I've been using the Elektron's Octatrack and I love it. Besides being used as a sampler mostly for drums, it's also my MIDI sequencer for a couple of Moog synths (Minitaur, Voyager Rack), a Yamaha Motif Rack XS (for pianos) and my Moog Voyager Performer which is also my keyboard controller. Drums are all on the Octratrack which I can processes with the filters and effects that can also be used to process external audio in real-time. I love how easy and powerful the Octatrack is, it sounds really good, timing is tight, and has permitted me not to touch the computer at all when creating music (my mac is merely an audio recorder now). Love jamming with the Octatrack and my Moog(s)!

psynthetic

Re: Any Advice for a Sampler?

Post by psynthetic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 am

+1 on that..

Elektron + Moog = Success