Why should i get a Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
XAXAU

Why should i get a Voyager?

Post by XAXAU » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm either getting a Voyager with slew rate mod, 1V/oct calibration plus a VX-351 or a SUB 37 plus a few Strymon pedals (Big Sky and TimeLine) with money to spare. I have a MF-102 Ring Mod which feels useless unless I get a Voyager or some DAW to CV plugin using DC outs on DA converters which I don't have.

My setup is mostly ITB but I have a DSI P08 PE and an Eventide Space. I'm basically looking to get a easily programmable Moog mono with big sound. Recently sold a Slim Phatty because there was too much under the hood stuff (plus slimy buttons and wobbly pots didn't help) and a Sub Phatty with too much hidden controls. The Voyager feels great in every way but has some stuff under the hood, basically like a Sub Phatty plus a display but the 37 has almost everything on the surface plus an arpeggiator, however there no CV outs (silly silly Moog).

If you disregard the looks of the Voyager as well as the wood, keys, analog VCA's and sturdy build quality, what is it about it that makes it better than the Sub engine? You'd have to imagine the 37 of course!

I'm torn between the two options, please help! :)

voyager0500

Re: Why should i get a Voyager?

Post by voyager0500 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 am

Hey XAXAU,

I have the EB Voyager and am planning on getting the SUB37 when it comes out. Even though I have a few moogers, VX351 and the CP, I find that since I mostly focus on making sounds that I can use to play live, the moogers,vx and cp rack is of no use there.

If I didnt have the Voyager I would probably go for the SUB37 with its updated oscillators, multidrive and feedback circuits.

Now if you really need the cv stuff then the choice would clearly be the Voyager.

Hope that helps!
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:54 pm

voyager0500 wrote:Hey XAXAU,

I have the EB Voyager and am planning on getting the SUB37 when it comes out. Even though I have a few moogers, VX351 and the CP, I find that since I mostly focus on making sounds that I can use to play live, the moogers,vx and cp rack is of no use there.

If I didnt have the Voyager I would probably go for the SUB37 with its updated oscillators, multidrive and feedback circuits.

Now if you really need the cv stuff then the choice would clearly be the Voyager.

Hope that helps!
I could get a Sub 37 and a Motu 828x which has DC coupled outs and I need more I/O anyway. That way i can control the Sub 37 and the MF-102 Ring Mod with CV from Silent Way or Volta!

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Which one has the features you want ?
Like do you want the ultra stable Osc's and multi drive,ect or do you want 3rd osc,touchpad, dual filters ?

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:Which one has the features you want ?
Like do you want the ultra stable Osc's and multi drive,ect or do you want 3rd osc,touchpad, dual filters ?
They both have their different feature sets and if I had the cash I'd get both!

I want the voyager to have more control and the 37 to have more sound! :)

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm

XAXAU wrote:
I want the voyager to have more control and the 37 to have more sound! :)
So why not get a Voyager and then add pedals later when you can afford it ?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 pm

i have a voyager, don't feel no urge anymore to go for the 37.
maybe that answers your question ?

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm

The control I wish the Voyager had is missing on the faceplate! :)
It's engine is superb but it's full potential is not yet unlocked!
Maybe I'm just too used to the ease of operating software? :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 pm

What control is that?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:42 am

only annoying thing i discover is the fact that the resonance is not immediate under the cutoff-frequency, like on all other synth's in the whole world is standard :wink:

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

XAXAU wrote:...the ease of operating software...
Never heard anyone say that before...

Stephen

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 am

Vsyevolod wrote:
XAXAU wrote:...the ease of operating software...
Never heard anyone say that before...

Stephen

Well, everything is just there in front of you. Hardware is great if its knobby and buttony, but terrible if there's awkward menus. Maybe I'm just not used to the outboard workflow?

psr

Post by psr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

I have the Voyager. Maybe less than 6 months now. Prior to the sub37's announcement. I do love it and I've certainly not maxed or even nearly explored its full potential yet. but i find myself very interested in the sub37 (ever since playing with it at NAMM )and its added features like MultiDrive, Duo Mode, i believe there is a sequencer / arp... just to name a few. Still the Voyager is its own beast and if I ever decide to go Modular idk if can think of a better companion for a modular set up. So the Voyager has a lot of growth potential in that regard. if I could justify and afford it I'd likely get the sub37 too.
The intersection where HipHop & Technology meet!
http://www/Bboytechreport.com

Moog - Rhodes - Linn - Jobs
Slim Phatty | MK I | MPC | iOS

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:14 am

XAXAU wrote: Well, everything is just there in front of you. Hardware is great if its knobby and buttony, but terrible if there's awkward menus. Maybe I'm just not used to the outboard workflow?
but the Voyager menus aren't awkward.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 am

Acid Mitch wrote:
XAXAU wrote: Well, everything is just there in front of you. Hardware is great if its knobby and buttony, but terrible if there's awkward menus. Maybe I'm just not used to the outboard workflow?
but the Voyager menus aren't awkward.
truth. the menu on the voyager is very quick to navigate. nothing is " hidden" to deep. I would say voyager + modular will blow the Sub37 away any day. But that is also WAY more expensive and requires more patients while building your system. the only thing I can't get out of my voyager/ modular/ daw configuration that the Sub37 had is the paraphonic mode and the hold setting on the envelopes ( delay can be created with slew limiter)
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step