Time for Moog to balls up.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Fantastca

Re: Time for Moog to balls up.

Post by Fantastca » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

MC wrote:
Fantastca wrote:How about a smaller design?
That's a crowded market already, plenty of products. What's so innovative about being a copycat?
Making a small design is being a copycat? Oh dear...
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm

latigid on wrote:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... balls%20up
1.balls up
In current usage, any disastrous situation. The balls referred to are NOT testicles. The term dates from the days of wooden sailing ships when the existence of a shipboard disaster, such as plague, lack of food or water, mutiny, etc. was communicated to the outside world by hoisting large-ish, brightly painted wooden balls up into the rigging. Balls of different colors represented different disasters and therefore served as either requests for assistance or warnings to stay clear.
Ed: What a complete Balls Up!
Ted: You said it.

Considering the source I hate to know what the #2 definition was.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:15 pm

MC wrote:Why was Bob really against it? A lot has changed since he released the Voyager.
Market - there isn't the market for a $5000 analog polyphonic like there was in the 1970s/80s. Back then there were plenty of customers willing to shell out that kind of dough. Not so today. It's a race to the bottom with everything measured against price - Bob learned this back in the 1960s. Polyphonics like the Andromeda and P12 have raised the bar on features at a price. The minute a 21st century Memorymoog is even announced and not yet in production, people will complain that it doesn't have the programming depth of the A6 or the wallet-friendly price of the P12. I can get around those limitations with my arsenal but I acknowledge that many others are not as fortunate as me.

Back in the "golden era" of analog polyphonics they didn't have samplers, VAs, softsynths, and all this other technology we have today. There were no alternative back then. Today most people would scoff at the price and settle for their VSTs.

I wouldn't say that Bob was against a polyphonic. He was looking for the technology to make them economic for the market. I don't know why he did not go the CEM route.
Very sensibly explained.......

I'm starting shaking my head when I'm reading here some people don't like polyphonics but even more I'm wondering that there's so less interrest and also in all other forums in dealing and playing with "Velocity" and "Pressure-Sensor". This gives a Poly a kind of infinite dimension, and not spoken about playing with long release times.
I've got my second P 08 last week, and either playing poly-chained or stacked, it's the REAL, REAL HEAVEN ON EARTH. BUT SOUNDS HAVE TO BE SELECTED AND HANDLED WITH CARE !!!!!!!
Of course in the most cases they must to be tamed down to avoid getting muddy........

Why not all this with a fine MOOG ?????????????????????????????????????????? Real Analogue................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:32 am

So if your 2 P08s are "real, real heaven on earth", why do you need a Moog poly ?
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:11 pm

EricK wrote:Considering the source I hate to know what the #2 definition was.
Well the OP was mos def referring to definition #3 in this case...

Stephen

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:04 am

fyvewytches wrote:So if your 2 P08s are "real, real heaven on earth", why do you need a Moog poly ?
That's a very good question, but easy to explain.
Heaven on Earth, yes, but only to a certain degree.
I.ex. a Memorymoog has a beginning of the contours at 1 ms. The P 08 is not that fast and not that sharp.
And secondly the Curtis filter is in the upper area kind of sizzely and buzzy, but one can live with very fine as for the other fine things the P 08 has.
Let me tell you like this:
A Moog might give me a "Second Heaven".............................O.K. ?
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

CV_Wonder

Post by CV_Wonder » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a MemoryMoog + and it's the nicest poly i've ever heard. Super organic and powerful. If you've never heard a MemoryMoog in person or a Polymoog than I don't totally blame anyone for not enjoying a polysynth. They may have their problems (many) but when they are in good shape it's a whole other league! Sound wise Moog did poly right. Build quality wise...Not so much. I think the MemoryMoog sounds much better than the Prophet 5 and there are many who agree. My point is, it's not even a question if the moog sound works in the poly realm.

Dear Moog,

If you did a divide down poly (keeping costs down) with the filter section from the polymoog plus a few actual innovations thrown in people would be all over it. Please stop with the mono re-packagefest. Take it to the next level. Or if you have to stay mono then again, take it to the next level.

Hugs!
-E

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:07 pm

I can second the MemoryMoog comment above. I love mine and it is truly something I have never had access to in a synth! I could easily get lost in it's pads forever. 18 Oscilltors of pure power, richness, softness, brassy goodness, wild modulation and detuning possibillities. Then you add to that patch memory and an arpeggiator!

I think the MemoryMoog is a perfect synthesizer if they were to re-release an updated version of it with a better internal design and build quality (like they currently offer).

The main obstacle to a re-release is that the MemoryMoog used Curtis Chips to shrink some of the circuits and they are only being produced for Dave Smith Instruments at the moment (which is why they can release poly synths). Moog would benefit from developing their own Curtis style chips to usher in a new chapter in Poly Synths.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 pm

THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 pm

megavoice wrote:
fyvewytches wrote:So if your 2 P08s are "real, real heaven on earth", why do you need a Moog poly ?
That's a very good question, but easy to explain.
Heaven on Earth, yes, but only to a certain degree.
I.ex. a Memorymoog has a beginning of the contours at 1 ms. The P 08 is not that fast and not that sharp.
And secondly the Curtis filter is in the upper area kind of sizzely and buzzy, but one can live with very fine as for the other fine things the P 08 has.
Let me tell you like this:
A Moog might give me a "Second Heaven".............................O.K. ?
These are more "details" I've written above, but the main thing is, of course, the real MOOG sound to have.
And secondly not to be always in fear of the parts that are probably getting broken one day and not being available any more, even on the used market.
I'd like to use the instrument on the road and that's why I absolutlely need a new and modern one.
I know, I'm a coward but in the same moment I've great respect with people who take their Polys and Memorys on the stage.

The dream of reshaping the Memorymoog or the Poly had been for a long time in my head too, but isn't technically to realize 1:1. This I've been told by my tech recently who has them on his table day by day.
1. The production lines from that early days CANNOT be reinstalled any more.
2. To produce the afforded ICs would need an order of a few hundred thousands. And no one would take that risk.
But mabe MOOG is able to find another practicable solution.

See Mini and the Voyager.
But I'd be very satisfied with a solution of 80-95 %
**** with everyone.