Sub37 Poly chain to my Sub Phatty PLEASE

Everything Sub.
Z-one

Re: Sub37 Poly chain to my Sub Phatty PLEASE

Post by Z-one » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:18 am

namahshaman wrote:Please, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is a great idea. :mrgreen:
Imo this is not a great idea.

A true polyphonic Moog would be a great idea :idea:

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:25 pm

And what about poly chaining 2 sub 37 or more ? Feasible ?
Thank you
Last edited by Solaris on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 pm

The plan is that one will be able to chain any combination of Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty, and/or Minitaur, up to 16 units in total.

mixpan

Post by mixpan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:58 pm

"The plan is that one will be able to chain any combination of Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty, and/or Minitaur, up to 16 units in total."

YEEEESSSSS

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 pm

I am so glad you added the Minitaur I to that list, it is sure to be my next purchase now that I have preordered the sub37.

cjolson80

Post by cjolson80 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Amos wrote:The plan is that one will be able to chain any combination of Sub Phatty, Sub 37, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty, and/or Minitaur, up to 16 units in total.
Is that the plan over all? Or just the plan for the 37?

I decided to pick up a brand new Voyager instead of the 37. I just got it last week; so I won't be in the market for a Sub 37 until maybe next year... Depending on what you unveil at the winter shows in 2015 :D

It would be nice to poly chain the Sub Phatty with my 2 Slims and or my Voyager.

abc47

Post by abc47 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 pm

As the Sub Phatty & MF-104m were my 1st Moog purchases last year before pre-order of the Sub37 in Feb. I was so very happy to read through this threat.

Moog, u rock!

With this forum, things like poly-chaining of older products, Amos becoming an demonstration legend and all round nice guy, plus the products. I feel my previous fondness for DSI fading fast and Moog becoming my preferred Synth manufacturer.
I cant express how important I believe it is for manufactures not to forget there older products.

I'm looking forward to a Voyager and Minitaur next year :D unless you have a new treat in 2015.

Great work Moog team!

mr-emulator

Post by mr-emulator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Oh yes an voice expansion rack/box/desktop unit would be nice. But it should contain at least 5 voices, so you get 6 voices alltogether when polychained with a Sub Phatty or Sub 37. No filters, no LFO, no ADRS etc. are needed on this box though.
And yes, i will keep my Sub Phatty too. Mainly because i refuse to sell it with a 30 % loss for having it just a bit more than one year. Still good for bass while the Sub 37 will be leads, arps and stuff. :)

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 am

I really don't understand why people ask for this... Moog already have this option by using Little + Slim, to chain up to 16 units. I ask: how many of you did this?
Chaining just 2 units makes no sense at all, since you're not able to do even some simple chords. :)
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 am

IgorCristo wrote:I really don't understand why people ask for this... Moog already have this option by using Little + Slim, to chain up to 16 units. I ask: how many of you did this?
I understand that, Igor: we are often more thrilled about possibilities than by doing things themselves. But hey, maybe everyone asking that is already polychaining, who knows :)
IgorCristo wrote:Chaining just 2 units makes no sense at all, since you're not able to do even some simple chords. :)
Aaah I have to disagree. Adding one note is way more valuable when you start from one note that when you start from two notes. Adding that second voice is a huge step, musically speaking. Harmony is not only perfect chords.
The Sub37 paraphony stuff excites me, I have to say.

Look, I discovered this vid only last week. So good!!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Look, I discovered this vid only last week. So good!!
I had not seen that demo before. Awesome :!:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:The Sub37 paraphony stuff excites me, I have to say.
He's using the Mod Wheel to bend only OSC 2 up a whole step and Pitch Bend is bending both OSC 1 + 2.

The cool thing about that trick is, if you own a Sub Phatty, you can approximate what he's doing.

Just use a very slow square wave in the MODULATION section, light the PITCH AMOUNT OSC 2 ONLY button, and then, using the SHIFT MODE, light the PITCH AMOUNT OSC 2 ONLY button again to activate LFO GATE RESET.

Now, leave the SHIFT MODE and use the OSCILLATOR FREQUENCY knob to raise OSC 2 to +7 (a Perfect 5th).

Push the Mod Wheel all the way up and use the MODULATION PITCH knob to raise OSC 2 up an additional whole step.

Now you can have two notes at once with a choice of Perfect 5th, minor 6th, or Major 6th intervals.

The big difference with having the SUB 37's DUO MODE, is that, whenever he plays just one key, he's getting unison instead of always having parallel harmonies.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:13 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:
IgorCristo wrote:I really don't understand why people ask for this... Moog already have this option by using Little + Slim, to chain up to 16 units. I ask: how many of you did this?
I understand that, Igor: we are often more thrilled about possibilities than by doing things themselves. But hey, maybe everyone asking that is already polychaining, who knows :)
IgorCristo wrote:Chaining just 2 units makes no sense at all, since you're not able to do even some simple chords. :)
Aaah I have to disagree. Adding one note is way more valuable when you start from one note that when you start from two notes. Adding that second voice is a huge step, musically speaking. Harmony is not only perfect chords.
The Sub37 paraphony stuff excites me, I have to say.

Also wit the Sub 37 chained you'll be able to play 3 notes a time.

I don't understand how polychaining works between the different synths tho, how can a Sub be chained with a slim when they have different sound circuits?

breun

Post by breun » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Dapifer wrote:I don't understand how polychaining works between the different synths tho, how can a Sub be chained with a slim when they have different sound circuits?
Each synth will be contributing its own sound to one of the voices.

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 pm

I agree. I had a three phatty poly for a while and even three of the same synth sounds way different than a three+ voice poly analog synth like a DSI.

The whole is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

What were bummers with that particular poly chain, though, were tuning issues with the slims (even after plenty of warm up and calibration routines), as well as erratic midi behavior at times. Here's to hoping those won't be an issue with the sub/minitaur chains