Parallell Voyagering!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
MBlom

Parallell Voyagering!

Post by MBlom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm

Thought I'd discover the posibilities with two outputs and Moogerfoogers, so I've started trying out different ways of processing it. 101 on Env Follower and high Res for a little rubbery twirk and still a solid bass on the other output. 103 w deep phasing and clean w 104 on the other. Of course it punches through a little better when there's no layering. But it's fun to explore with subleties!
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

David Smyth

Re: Parallell Voyagering!

Post by David Smyth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

So I take it you're running each side of the Voyager's stereo output through different Moogerfoogers/leaving clean?

Sounds like a fun idea, I can't wait to try things like this when I get my Voyager XL, come April. 8)

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Exactly. It sounds really great on it's own but I'm a little more ambivalent when it comes to playing in the band (w SH101, string machine, Voyager OS, Octatrack & Nord Drum). Then it doesn't really cut through.
Latest gigs

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 am

I never really thought the Voyager was a synth that "punched through the mix" very well. That's not really a bad thing, just tends to blend in a little more. I think the Voyager is the one Moog synthesizer that sounds the least "Moogy". The Phatty series are a lot more aggressive and "Moogy" to my ears.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm

True. Initialy I was a little discontent with the lack of in-your-faceness that a friends Model D has. But I really like the smoothness of the Voyager and I'd much raher have the modulating possibilities it has, than the classic Minimoog sound. And another thing I realised, though it might be due to settings, was that when we were playing toghether w our Moogs another guy on SH101 and a MachineDrum, it (Mod D) took way too much space. Awesome standalone sound and I bet it really competes w guitars and drums. But w our set up it had to be harnessed firmly, which he wasn't that into or capable of. My Voyager much more easy takes a reasonable space soundwise.
Latest gigs

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I just got a second 104m to use with the stereo out of the voyager. I have the left out going to 104A and the right out going to 104B. the mix out of A ( set dry) goes to the left channel of my interface the delay out goes to the right channel. and for 104B it's flip flopped so it creates a ping pong delay. uses four channels on my interface but wow does it sound amazing!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:22 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:I just got a second 104m to use with the stereo out of the voyager. I have the left out going to 104A and the right out going to 104B. the mix out of A ( set dry) goes to the left channel of my interface the delay out goes to the right channel. and for 104B it's flip flopped so it creates a ping pong delay. uses four channels on my interface but wow does it sound amazing!
Damn, I haven't even received my Voyager XL yet and I already want a second MF-104M, based on this description alone! :lol: :roll:

However, I'm running through a Presonus FP-10 Firewire Interface, which doesn't exactly have any hardware panning controls for each channel. Do you use monitoring through your DAW to get the stereo (panning) effect?

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 pm

David Smyth wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:I just got a second 104m to use with the stereo out of the voyager. I have the left out going to 104A and the right out going to 104B. the mix out of A ( set dry) goes to the left channel of my interface the delay out goes to the right channel. and for 104B it's flip flopped so it creates a ping pong delay. uses four channels on my interface but wow does it sound amazing!
Damn, I haven't even received my Voyager XL yet and I already want a second MF-104M, based on this description alone! :lol: :roll:

However, I'm running through a Presonus FP-10 Firewire Interface, which doesn't exactly have any hardware panning controls for each channel. Do you use monitoring through your DAW to get the stereo (panning) effect?

David.
NZ
I do it with daw and without. I run everything through my motu 828mk2 FireWire interface which has 2 Mic/ instrument ins on the front and 8 assignable line ins on the back so I can pair neighboring channels in stereo.
so I have channels 1 and 2 paired in stereo and channel 3 and 4 paired in stereo for the voyager/ 104m

I'm shocked that you can't set like a default or something for your interface. I'm not too familiar with that one though
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:52 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:I do it with daw and without. I run everything through my motu 828mk2 FireWire interface which has 2 Mic/ instrument ins on the front and 8 assignable line ins on the back so I can pair neighboring channels in stereo.
so I have channels 1 and 2 paired in stereo and channel 3 and 4 paired in stereo for the voyager/ 104m

I'm shocked that you can't set like a default or something for your interface. I'm not too familiar with that one though
I've been working with mono (output) synths all this time, until next month when I receive the Voyager XL in all it's stereo glory - so I haven't really had to explore that side of things yet. My unit has a bunch of jacks on the back like yours, although on mine they appear to be mostly outputs.

I'm now investigating further so I put a question about this up at the Presonus forums, as I'm keen to get this panning idea working for all the stereo effects that can be had with the Voyager.. Come to think of it, it would be handy for my Korg SV-1 Stage Piano too - I've been recording that using it's stereo outputs into two channels, but before mixing I'm pretty sure the two sides are both coming through both studio monitors (i.e. not panned L/R).

Sorry if this has hijacked the thread somewhat!

David.
NZ

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 am

Good news! I got my audio interface's stereo signal panning correctly sorted, using Ableton to monitor the inputs (software is required for panning with my model interface)..
Good-er News! I have a second MF-104M on the way - so me and my new Voyager XL, can partake in the stereo madness described above!

Also, another routing I've got planned in my head is, in mono, chaining the two MF-104M's in series and tapping the delays like a drum beat (similar to the stereo idea). It should be interesting hearing a delay, delayed again at a different tempo!

For anyone that cares, other gear I've on the way with the second MF-104M:
- Voyager XL ATA Flight Case & Dust Cover.
- Rode NT2000 Variable Pattern Condenser Microphone, Shockmount, Pop Shield, Flight Case and Boom Mic Stand.

Who buys this much gear?! :lol:

David
NZ

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:27 pm

David Smyth wrote: Also, another routing I've got planned in my head is, in mono, chaining the two MF-104M's in series and tapping the delays like a drum beat (similar to the stereo idea). It should be interesting hearing a delay, delayed again at a different tempo!

Who buys this much gear?! :lol:

David
NZ
i actually do this also. in series, you can get some pretty nauseating (in a GREAT way) chorus/flange/vibrato sounds. if i could afford it i would actually buy more...i cant wait to get them synced up to ableton via midi

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu May 08, 2014 6:54 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:i actually do this also. in series, you can get some pretty nauseating (in a GREAT way) chorus/flange/vibrato sounds. if i could afford it i would actually buy more...i cant wait to get them synced up to ableton via midi
Awesome! I can't wait to try out these ideas when I get my second delay next week! I'm also looking forward to modulating the timing of both delays with CV cables, while they're set up in these various configurations.

Regarding buying more, I was actually thinking the same thing! I'm thinking of maybe three racked up in a row eventually.. :roll:

I'm already moving my MF-107 Freqbox out of the rack to fit the second delay next to the other. I figure I'll put the Freqbox on the floor and use it (mainly) as a synthy-fuzz/distortion for my bass guitar.
I can still patch it into the synths if need be, especially since it's envelope follower is a useful feature for making side-chain compression synth patches!

Exciting times anyway!

David.
NZ