Minitaur Editor update and Presets discussion JAN2014

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
miamigroove

Minitaur Editor update and Presets discussion JAN2014

Post by miamigroove » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 am

OK, so I see there are 28 pages in the latest thread on the firmware, so rather than tack more onto that thread I thought Id start a new one here.

Here's what im using:

Minitaur Editor Software Version: 0.9.2
Minitaur Firmware Version: 2.0.28
Windows 7, 32-bit w/latest updates

First off, I would recommend to anyone thinking about posting grievances with the Editor/Firmware to include the above two lines of information with every post. As far as I can tell, there have been multiple firmware revisions and Amos appears to be hard at work on improving the latest version of the editor (thank you Amos!). However, people using different OS'es, different firmware and editor versions, all seem to further enhance the frustration and obscure common solutions. Posting specifics on what you are using will help insure we are all comparing apples to apples here.

I was experiencing numerous problems with my unit (which was only purchased a few months ago) that have been resolved since I a)upgraded to the latest firmware b)installed the latest editor version c)switched my OS (upgraded an old copy of XP to Win7 and installed all of the latest Windows Updates). I could not get the editor to work at all on XP nor could update the firmware in my unit with MIDI-OX sysex until I switched to Win7 for example. The only issues im having currently are the Sending/Receiving/Saving of Presets via the Editor which doesn't seem to be working at the moment but was what brought me here to the forum. Unfortunately the forum is quite cluttered, hence this post.

I am confident that these issues will be resolved by Moog in a timely fashion. The Minitaur is a really fantastic sounding unit. Even though it still has some kinks to work out, think of the alternatives (Roland?, ugh).

HAPPY 2014!! :mrgreen:

nezzyidy

Re: Minitaur Editor update and Presets discussion JAN2014

Post by nezzyidy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 am

I'm using editor version 2.0 for OS X. Is that the latest one so far?

floating tank

Post by floating tank » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:03 am

hi all (no native english speaker :D ),

I have finally been able to save my selfmade patches.

system spec:

minitaur editor software :2.0
minitaur firm ware :2.0
win8 64 bit w/latest updates

the way it works for me:

1. make shure the MT editor communicates with your MT in both directions ( if you turn a knob on the MT, the equivalent knob on the editor has to turn and the other way you have to hear changes made in the editor on your MT) (i had to use "loop be" and "midi ox" to get it to work) (in the "under the hood settings the firmware version should be dispayed, if you see a "?" somthing is fishy)
!!note: if you have problems with this maybe this thread and the information from user stuka (big tx to him) can help http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14726 !!

2. capture your MT presets in the presets window of the editor with the "captur bank " button
3.select a category folder in the presets window of the editor
3.click on a init preset (the only way the following step works in my setup)
4.capture your patch from within the editor with "cntr +c" (the MT editor should now have the same knob-positions and settings as your MT)
5.click on the "save" button in the presets window of the editor
6.rename and save again
7.done

Now the patch is saved in the editor and you can transfer it as normal onto your MT

btw if you want a own preset category for your patches just make a new folder in this place: MT editor folder > data > presets. it will then show up in your MT editor

well if something is unclear dont be affraid to ask , hope this helps ! a good and have fun

Freebot

Post by Freebot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Hey Guys,

Good call on the Firmware/specs. etc.... at the top of the post

Editor: 3.0 Beta
Minitaur Firmware 2.0.28
Mac OS X 10.8.5

You guys need to pm Amos and ask for the new beta editor. It is seriously amazing! Not only is it a standalone/plugin hybrid, but it saves presets (names and all) 100% correctly. I hear there are a few bugs with exact readings on dials, etc... but they haven't hung me up in the least.
I have owned my MT for almost two years and I pretty much hated on it the whole time due to none of the functions I required working properly. Now that Version 3 is in my computer, no kidding, it's my favorite synth right now. The sound has always blown me away but now the whole package is kicking the crap (in a good way) out of my mixes!!!

I hear that Amos will have a release version in the next week or so, but thanks to this beta, I don't have to check this forum every single day anymore.

Oh yeah, Amos, if Moog ever chooses to release a new styled Minitaur (i.e. Minitaur XT, or something) you should add an lcd screen, allow the full note range, and then , most importantly, do the front panel like the "extended" screen on the editor. I absolutely love that panel, it's so much easier to look at and having all the functions on the front would make this the ultimate Bass Synth on the market....Seriously!! (maybe add another oscillator wave type too and or one more mod routing :)

I came so close so many times to ditching this thing but I couldn't be happier that I didn't. Thank you Amos and crew for bringing the Gem back into the spot light.

Cheers,
FB

ps. my roomates aren't as excited as I am, hehehe

Genric DeFaulde

Post by Genric DeFaulde » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Minitaur Editor Software Version: 2.0
Minitaur Firmware Version: 2.0
Windows 7, 64-bit w/latest updates
FL Studio
Harrison Mixbus

Unit is connected USB and MIDI (MIDI1 on MCU)
Unit is routed to the DAW by MIDI
Unit is routed to the standalone editor by USB

Quite often there seems to be a conflict between the two Programms accessing the Minitaur in this configuration. When that happens MIDI CC gets either doubled or blurred.
Saving and recalling from _only_ within the DAW does work very rarely. Most of the time I have to save the patches in the standalone editor and recall them from there. Sometimes the patches get stored wrong and I won't notice unless I restart the DAW and the editor and reload the project and patch.
Sometimes the Minitaur will get stuck unless I powercycle it.
Two times (so very occasionally) a continous loop happened - some 'stuck' CC got repeated all over.
I did not try every one of the beta firmwares, but my unit seems to work best with the official REV2 firmware. With some of the beta firmwares I had stuck notes, the high-pitched noise and so on. Now I only have a slightly annoying click in the attack of which I'm not sure if it was there before I tried differend firmwares - probably I'm just imagining things or didn't listen closely enough in the past.

About the beta editor:
Well, I did PM Amos and asked for the beta. Never got an answer. That was directly before NAMM, so of course Amos had his hands full at that time.
Any kind of answer at a later point would've been nice though.

Since I'm more of a programmer than a player my workflow relies heavily on DAW automation and stuff. My previous attempts to get the standalone editor and the DAW to work along where way too technichal. Using both connection possibilities at the same time (MIDI and USB) makes this possible, but that 'hack' never worked very well, as described in the technichal side of this post. I do of course like to fiddle with the unit. I bought hardware because I wanted hardware. But without total recall and fully integrated automation it's just a pretty expensive toy to guys like me.

Sadly my personal situation forces me to sell my Minitaur within the next three weeks. So I guess I'll never kow, what a real VST-Editor could've done for me. Or worse - get a last glimpse of glouriousness before I have to say goodbye to my little no.33

Nice to hear from someone who already got his hands on the VST-Editor that it's as great as I would've imagined.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 am

Genric DeFaulde wrote:Quite often there seems to be a conflict between the two Programms accessing the Minitaur in this configuration. When that happens MIDI CC gets either doubled or blurred… Sometimes the Minitaur will get stuck unless I powercycle it… Two times a continous loop happened - some 'stuck' CC got repeated all over.
Hi GDF,

I don't use my Moogs with DAWs much (I'm more of a live performer) but, everything you're describing sounds like a MIDI feedback loop.

Sorry if you've already thought of this, but:
Did you try turning LOCAL OFF (CC#122) as described on page 21 of the manual?

LOCAL CONTROL OFF (CC# 122):
This parameter allows the front panel controls to send MIDI, but disconnects the Minitaur sound engine from direct control by the panel. Per the MIDI spec, only values of ‘0’ and ‘127’ work (0 = OFF, 127 = ON). If you are connected to a DAW using USB MIDI patched through, you may need this to avoid feedback artifacts. After changing the state of LOCAL CONTROL On/Off, the Minitaur remembers the last setting after power down.
Genric DeFaulde wrote:Unit is routed to the DAW by MIDI
Unit is routed to the standalone editor by USB
As I 'm re-reading your routings, I'm also wondering if you're getting duplicate MIDI signals from using both MIDI and USB MIDI.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi everyone!

I did go through my private messages after NAMM and I thought I replied to them all... there was a lot of mail though, so I am sorry if I missed anyone.

The most recent Minitaur firmware is v2.0.32... I have had no bug reports since releasing this version, so if nobody else reports any problems with it, this version will be released as v2.1.0.

Here it is if you want to check it out:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_32.zip

here's a list of changes:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... atures.rtf
This documentation is still in progress, so if you are aware of any new features which I failed to document please let me know :) I should also document bug-fixes, I realize, which are not listed in the above document yet.

firmware update instructions:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... README.txt
Last edited by Amos on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Amos,

The "list of changes" link seems broken.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Amos wrote: here's a list of changes:
Thanks Dan -- fixed :)

robml

Post by robml » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Amos wrote:Hi everyone!

I did go through my private messages after NAMM and I thought I replied to them all... there was a lot of mail though, so I am sorry if I missed anyone.

The most recent Minitaur firmware is v2.0.32... I have had no bug reports since releasing this version, so if nobody else reports any problems with it, this version will be released as v2.1.0.

Here it is if you want to check it out:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... 2_0_32.zip

here's a list of changes:
This documentation is still in progress, so if you are aware of any new features which I failed to document please let me know :) I should also document bug-fixes, I realize, which are not listed in the above document yet.

firmware update instructions:
i found some bugs, i posted them in the firmware thread.

for some reason i have not been receiving any mail from you amos, i dont seem to be getting email updates on the editor or firmware? could you please have a look at why i am not? thanks for your effort ;)

cheers

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Can I use MIDIOX (http://www.midiox.com/) to
upgrade? Any recommendations on which
software is "safer" for the task?

I'm afraid of doing something wrong and having to send the
equipment for Moog (I'm in Brazil ...)

Thank you for your attention.
=====================
Casper
=====================

Genric DeFaulde

Post by Genric DeFaulde » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 am

Hi _DemonDan_ ,

you are right, the LOCAL OFF feature does solve most of the problems but it also breaks the ability to use the old editor and the DAW at the same time, which was needed to correctly save patches in the editor. In fact I'm not too sure, what exactly was the problem since I didn't try that route since last summer. I do know I tested the LOCAL OFF thingy and as long as I don't want to save patches to use in different projects it's great.
When I use the Minitaur in a project, I have LOCAL OFF turned on all the time. This way I'm able to link the knobs on the Minitaur to different VSTi. That gives me the possibility to control any Synth within FL Studio with great hardware knobs. Using the omnilink feature I'm even able to control different VSTi - the controls do stick to the focused plugin and don't mess with other plugins (wich would be controlled if they were focused).

Since the new editor was announced as 'coming out very soonish' I didn't hassle with that anymore and waited. After all a real VST editor would eliminate all of my problems at once and give me some much appreciated features on top.

Casper,

I did all the updates with midiox. So yes, it is very much possible.

Step one is copied from the official update instructions:

1) Enter bootloader mode: press and hold both VCO1 Wave and VCO2 Wave switches while plugging in power to the Minitaur.
Keep holding those two switches, and press the Release switch.
You can now release all switches; you should see the Glide switch LED blinking slowly. This indicates you are in bootloader mode.
Connect the MInitaur to your computer via USB.

2) Connect Minitaut in midiox
Open midiox
Go to OPTIONS -> MIDI DEVICES
You'll get a popup with the possible MIDI devices hooked up to your computer. Select the "Moog Minitaur?Moog Mini" for input and output to fully connect it to midiox. Click OK
You should now see the Minitaur connected in the window "MIDI Port routing"

3) Sending erase SysEx
Go to ACTION -> SEND -> SysEx File...
In the new popup window select the firmware erase SysEx that came with the Update. It will start to transfer immediately (this doesn't take long)
If you don't have the erase SysEx file, please refer to the official update instructions as posted by Amos before:

4) Sending the new firmware
After the old firmware is erased you'll notice a new window that opened when sending the SysEx but din't close afterwards. (SysEx view and scratchpad)
In that window go to FILE -> SEND SYSEX FILE... (or close that window an just repeat step 3 with the new firmware in place of the erase command)
Choose the new firmware. It gets transferred immediately.
Your Minitaur should boot into normal mode after the firmware is transferred.

5) Resetting the unit.
If your Minitaur is not behaving like you would expect try using the 'factory restore' SysEx as described in the official update instructions.

6) You are ready updating.
Enjoy testing the new firmware. If you don't like it, you can alwas go back to a former version of the firmware.
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but really hard to break anything, so If you get stuck along the way just repeat the process from step 1.

-edit-
Fixed spelling
Better formatting
additional information at point three of the update process
added point 5 and 6 of the update process

-2nd edit-
Deleted the instructions. I did an update and something went wrong. I am really sorry if I caused any trouble.

-3rd edit-
undeleted the update instructions
There was nothing wrong with the instructions, but with me. Never do updates directly before or after cleaning your desk.
I simply switched the audio cables for input and output and therefore had no sound. The update went perfectly well.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 am

Genric DeFaulde:

Thanks!
=====================
Casper
=====================