New ARP Odyssey synthesizer!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
acatcalledanarchy

New ARP Odyssey synthesizer!

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

latigid on

Re: New ARP Odyssey synthesizer!

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Just go straight to the source

8)

http://thehumancomparator.net/

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Interesting that Moog Music Inc. still owns the trademark...

http://www.trademarkia.com/arp-75097449.html

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm

latigid on wrote:Just go straight to the source

8)

http://thehumancomparator.net/
I fail to see how this is relevant to the announcement made by Korg this morning.

As I have only ever experienced the Odyssey through recordings and Youtube demos, I can't wait to finally have the opportunity to get my hands on a brand new one and see what it's really like. This is exciting news indeed.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm

It's a really great time to appreciate analog.

For those of you who watched the I Dream of Wires documentary about Modular synths, one of the things that I think they left out was the fact that Bob was probably responsible for this renaissance when he released the Voyager.

This is good.

So Roland needs to release their Jupiter 8.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm

The relevance is that you can skip the Oddy and go straight to the 2600, if you can DIY. Let's wait and see what the Kodyssey sounds like though. For sure it's nice to see some classics returning!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:07 pm

I for one am very excited about this. One of my all-time fantasy synths and now I'll be able to get a new one (probably with better sliders too). Nice to see the ARP label back - I was just talking yesterday to a synth-head friend of mine about how Moog, Dave Smith and Oberheim made comebacks but ARP hadn't - and here it is!
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

nickster

Post by nickster » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm

The Arp Odyssey is a lovely instrument when in good condition and of course is a direct derivative of the 2600 with one distinction being the high pass filter (without resonance control). I'm wondering if Korg will be tempted to improve upon the original design. Which in a way I hope that they do if only the small stuff (bournes sliders etc). Interesting times and weirdly the last 2 DIY projects that I have decided to embark upon have later been announced as re-issues which kind of makes me wish I had decided to diy a poly synth. :o

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:35 pm

"WONDERFUL" !!!
Just another MONOphonic peep-mouse ("No. 1135389") in the synthsworld of users.........................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

robml

Post by robml » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:15 pm

just remember the osc waveforms are in the mixer section! lol ;)

cheers

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:21 pm

latigid on wrote:Interesting that Moog Music Inc. still owns the trademark...

http://www.trademarkia.com/arp-75097449.html
"The current federal status of this trademark filing is ABANDONED - DEFECTIVE STATEMENT OF USE. The correspondent listed for ARP is MOOG MUSIC, INC. of 10500 MONTGOMERY ROAD, BOX 313, CINCINNATI, OH 45242"

One, the trademark is abandoned. Two, the Moog Music is not Asheville NC it is the infamous "Don Martin" Moog Music whom Bob fought to get his trademark back. "10500 MONTGOMERY ROAD BOX 313" turned out to be the storefront for MailBox Etc, much to the chagrin of process servers.

Yeah I've been following that 2600 clone discussion on MW - there are a LOT of parts for a DIY project.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Just read the Korg page and am disturbed by this

"Korg is also proud to welcome Mr David Friend as our chief advisor on the Odyssey. David Friend established ARP Instruments, Inc. along with Alan Robert Pearlman and is a past president of ARP Instruments, Inc. He was also the lead designer of the original Odyssey in addition to designing or co-designing many other products."

Friend is the LAST person linked to the classic analog era I would want on a reissue project. And that description is stretching the truth. Friend was responsible for the interface of many ARPs but he's not even an EE or engineer of any kind and he was largely responsible for ARP's troubles with the infamous ARP Avatar debacle.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

eXode

Post by eXode » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm

MC wrote:Just read the Korg page and am disturbed by this

"Korg is also proud to welcome Mr David Friend as our chief advisor on the Odyssey. David Friend established ARP Instruments, Inc. along with Alan Robert Pearlman and is a past president of ARP Instruments, Inc. He was also the lead designer of the original Odyssey in addition to designing or co-designing many other products."

Friend is the LAST person linked to the classic analog era I would want on a reissue project. And that description is stretching the truth. Friend was responsible for the interface of many ARPs but he's not even an EE or engineer of any kind and he was largely responsible for ARP's troubles with the infamous ARP Avatar debacle.
To play the devils advocate a bit. KORG isn't reviving the entire ARP line, they are doing the ARP Odyssey. So in relation to that, isn't it useful to have the lead designer for the synth they are doing as an adviser, regardless of that person's wrongdoings as a company leader?

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I don't particularly like the miniaturization of the old classics. Hopefully, the Oddy won't fall into this like the MS20 did. Some friends of mine have mentioned that ARP synths were kind of crappy (but good sounding), hopefully they won't carry these designs into the new stuff.

Some of us younger folks may have wished we were old enough in the 70's to purchase some of these old classics. I think it's great that we live in a time where these (including the modular gear) are being produced again.

I would love to be able to afford the Two voice and pair it with a couple of (or just one) Son of Four Voices.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

A tech friend of mine found a pristine condition ARP 2600 that sound fantastic with no bad slidepots or anything. He got it from a retired military guy who kept his Omni because it played chords.