Disable software tuning

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ikazlar

Disable software tuning

Post by ikazlar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Moog went crazy about oscillator drifting and implemented a software routine that makes fine-tuning of the oscillators next to impossible. It seems to me that it recognizes small amounts of user oscillator detuning as ... unwanted drifting and it retunes them in the background to where they "should" be.

Does anyone know how to disable this internal re-tuning? I am going crazy over this, I need to have this implemented ASAP. Maybe in the next OS upgrade, I don't know..

What do you guys think? Anyone else who wants to have this slight detuning?
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

MC

Re: Disable software tuning

Post by MC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:44 pm

The Voyager does not have software tuning.

1) I have seen the schematics and there is no provision for it. Software tuning requires a feedback path to monitor each VCO through hardware, the hardware doesn't exist.
2) I have owned a Voyager since they first came out and have updated the OS every time from v1.0. No OS has ever implemented software tuning.
3) The Voyager has no autotune at all.
4) Tuning compensation is done in hardware. But it is not autotune, it is temperature compensation to compensate for errors in exponential CV conversion due to offsets introduced by temperature changes, a necessary evil for a living breathing v/oct VCO.
5) If you are hearing fine-tuning being retuned, this is not autotune or software tuning. This is "oscillator lock" which is a tendency for VCOs to sync up at small tuning intervals. This is a fault and you should contact Moog technical support. My Voyager does not do this.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi MC,

where did I got this information about software tuning? Was it Amos? I don't remember. Anyway, I might be wrong..but I can't for the life of me detune the oscillators properly. I mean +3 for OSC2 or OSC3 is already too much. I got the d@mn software editor and it won't work either.

I mean all the vintage Moogs, Minimoog, Prodigy you name it, you detune slightly VCO2 and you get that wonderful light phasing. Voyager, no way. :(

Edit: I don't actually get perfect VCO tuning after detuning them lightly. It's just that I can't get the light amount of detuning I want in the first place. So +1, +2 does nothing, +3 is already too much. Where are the in-between values?
The walls of Jericho were brought down by a Minimoog.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

The numbers don't mean anything. They cannot possibly display the resolution of the analog pots. Ignore them and just turn the knob to sound.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 am

If you don't get subtle oscillator detuning, they there is something wrong with your Voyager.

As I usually am fond of saying, Contact Moog.

Stephen

till

Post by till » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 am

The display shows parameter values in a sort of rounded number. Actually the pots and the preset memory use a way finer resolution.

Switch the displaying of the values off (PANEL menu item PARAMETER DISPLAY) to get a smoother adjusting. And trust your ears first. Then numeric values.

I am able here to get real slow to medium beatings here easily that way. It reacts nearly like my Minimoog and Prodigy detuning. So there is nothing wrong with the Voyager detuning.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

RL

Post by RL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

@ikazlar

make sure to switch off the local controls when you are using MIDI in and out on a computer interface.
Rudi
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

till wrote:The display shows parameter values in a sort of rounded number. Actually the pots and the preset memory use a way finer resolution.

Switch the displaying of the values off (PANEL menu item PARAMETER DISPLAY) to get a smoother adjusting. And trust your ears first. Then numeric values.

I am able here to get real slow to medium beatings here easily that way. It reacts nearly like my Minimoog and Prodigy detuning. So there is nothing wrong with the Voyager detuning.

This is so true. those numbers on the display are great for a rough guide on all of the parameters, but your ears should be what you trust. If your ears are good, and the Voyager still doesn't react properly, then you have an issue with your synth that needs to be addressed.
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL