Taurus III dust cover

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
EMwhite

Taurus III dust cover

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Anybody got one? Anybody know where I can get one?

Is it made by the same US based outfit that makes the Voyager cover (I hope so); Considering the somewhat limited edition that the Taurus III was, I'm having a hard time finding the dust cover. Any leads (Europe / UK fine also).

Thank you.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EMwhite

Re: Taurus III dust cover

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:27 am

Nothing? Tough crowd.

Anybody ever hear of "DigitalDeckCovers.com". They are the one source that I've found that will build to order, a dust cover using either very inexpensive material, or slightly better, low-cost material, to a set of specification that they keep on file or that you supply.

It cost about 2/3rds of what a real Taurus cover might cost but is likely 1/3rd of the quality. Can somebody tell me otherwise?

Anyone?

Thank you...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:42 pm

If you sew or know someone who does, it can be done pretty cheaply.

I'm working out a plan to make a gig bag for mine using heavy cotton canvas from probably 3 army surplus duffel bags.
It should be strong enough to hold the TIIIs weight, and I'll have foam padding sewn into the bag to protect from bumps.

It will be necessary to transport the TIII from home to practice and close gigs, as te road case I have geared up for the unit is too big for my car.
I will be able to place the bag inside the road case for longer trips in the band truck when needed, and that will give it some extra protection as well.

I'll post a link to pics when it's finished, hopefully early this spring.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Don't think it's a tough cowd so much as probably not many people bought them. I fancied one but $89 for the cover plus $60 delivery was a bit excessive (I'd have had to add another £30 or so import duty too). So over £120 for a dust cover.

I ended up getting a padded soft clam case from Studio Slips which doubles nicely as a dust cover which cost less than that dist cover would have and protects it more:

http://www.studioslips.com/clamshell.ph ... CabID=4577
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply, Mr. A.

I suppose if not too many folks bought them then at least one retailer would have one but no luck! I even searched UK/Europe shops as I would be willing to pay the shipping you quoted for a quality cover. {sad face}

I'll wait another week then will just order one of those home sewn jobbers.

Thanks!

stale

Post by stale » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I got one included in a bundle when I bought my Taurus 3. I will look at it when I get home. I am out of town this weekend.
Little Phatty Stage 2 CV Out, Taurus 3, Minitaur, Sub 37, mother 32, Mopho X4, Tetra, Korg BX-3, CX-3, SV-1 88, Krome 61 + 88, Kingkorg

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 am

I tried to buy one from Moog leading up to Christmas, instead of a confirmation email, i got silence and then the website update to show them as "Sold Out" *sigh*

Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

VOYAGER SOLAR-CHERRY/T3/MF-101/MF-104M/MF-105M/MF-107/MP-201

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 am

Good catch. Still a bit rich for my tastes though, but I think EMWhite will be all over this.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 am

I just use towels for dust covers. Cheap at Walmart.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:24 pm

I tried the link above and contacted them. No response yet (as of yesterday). My guess is they are not too keen to ship to U.S. but I have a contact in France that I might try to see if he'll act as go-between. $100 U.S. (plus shipping) is not too much to spend on a $2,000 instrument. I've had a Voyager cover on it up until now but re-arranging my home studio make me want to tidy up a few things.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

(and MC, I boycotted Walmart otherwise I'd do the same; you have about 5x as many keyboards as I do :D )

kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:Don't think it's a tough cowd so much as probably not many people bought them. I fancied one but $89 for the cover plus $60 delivery was a bit excessive (I'd have had to add another £30 or so import duty too). So over £120 for a dust cover.

I ended up getting a padded soft clam case from Studio Slips which doubles nicely as a dust cover which cost less than that dist cover would have and protects it more:

http://www.studioslips.com/clamshell.ph ... CabID=4577
That sounds pretty interesting.
Any pics?

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:04 pm

kcole4001 wrote:That sounds pretty interesting.
Any pics?
Your wish is my command (click for bigger pics):

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Wow, that's really nice actually. Two questions:

1. Have you dragged it around much, seems to hold up ok?
2. What options did you choose in order to get that configuration and how much did it cost (minus shipping for you).

Fabric seems very nice.

Oh a third question; do you think it would be feasible to have the Taur III sitting in the clam part all the time, and zip tight when not in use or is that a silly notion?

Thanks!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 pm

1. Not been moved too much, but seems OK. I would use a folding luggage carrier to wheel it around - it's far too heavy to carry - although the handles are good and even the strap seemed pretty sturdy - although carrying it on you should is back breaking and you're always thinking "when is that strap going to break?" so I don't carry it like that.

2. I chose double thickness padding. So standard cost is $135 and double padding $35. I didn't bother with any of the other options. I seem to remember getting stung an extra £35 at UK Customs, not an issue for you. P&P will be a lot cheaper too.

3. How you see it in the third picture is how it sits under my keyboard the whole time. As the top part isn't firm (something to consider if you think you can drop heavy things on it - don't) it can be rolled up a bit behind the T3 to save space, which is fine as the cables come out the side. The pedals are completely playable like this.