Feature request (Animoog ) - multi midi in

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
StewD

Feature request (Animoog ) - multi midi in

Post by StewD » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi folks,

Correct me if I'm wrong (would love to be), but I can't seem to get Animoog to respond to more than one midi input at a time?

If this is not possible I would love to have this feature added!

The scenario is this:
  • Ableton sends midi via network to StepPolyArp on the iPad.
  • StepPolyArp is set to receive midi clock via network midi (Ableton).
  • Animoog is responding to midi from StepPolyArp.
  • Hit play on Ableton and StepPolyArp kicks off (in sync) and Animoog plays the arpeggio (COOL!)
The final piece of the puzzle is sending CCs from Ableton to control various functions in Animoog (filter freq etc.) but I can't see a way to do this without having Animoog receive from both StepPolyArp and from Network Midi at the same time.

:?:
Peace,

hmtx

Re: Feature request (Animoog ) - multi midi in

Post by hmtx » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I would try sending SPA to network session, then have Animoog listen to OMNI network session (and it will receive CC changes also that way) Its kind of counterintuitive because the arp will be going from SPA to your wifi back to Animoog, but it should work.

If the arp gets off beat while Ableton is sending CC's then I would try setting up an adhoc network direct to your PC/ Mac to try to get a better network session.

If that doesn't work, then maybe one of those "MIDI hub" apps would be able to channel everything without adding noticeable latency. MIDI Bridge, I think it's called.

StewD

Post by StewD » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm

hmtx wrote:I would try sending SPA to network session, then have Animoog listen to OMNI network session (and it will receive CC changes also that way) Its kind of counterintuitive because the arp will be going from SPA to your wifi back to Animoog, but it should work.

If the arp gets off beat while Ableton is sending CC's then I would try setting up an adhoc network direct to your PC/ Mac to try to get a better network session.

If that doesn't work, then maybe one of those "MIDI hub" apps would be able to channel everything without adding noticeable latency. MIDI Bridge, I think it's called.
That's an interesting idea hmtx. I'll have to give that a try when I get home. Thanks!
Peace,

StewD

Post by StewD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 am

A quick test ... it's got potential!

Timing went a little flakey at times, but that's thru the router. Good enough to run a 4 bar loop. And I'm sure it'd be even better with an ad-hoc network.

Setting up as hmtx suggested I was able to fire StepPolyArp from Ableton and have Animoog receive midi from both of them via network midi. Ended up recording the midi from SPA into Ableton and adding envelope modulation via the clip envelope and then sent that direct to Animoog.

The cool thing about this setup is that you can easily send midi wherever you want ... from SPA to Animoog and to Ableton at the same time!

There is some latency so audio or midi recorded in Ableton needs to be bumped into the right spot but, because the clock is synced, once you get it lined up it's nice and tight.

Thanks!
Peace,

soupsounds

Post by soupsounds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi - Just tried this myself - espcially with proliferation of mini keyboards - I have an CME Xkey - it would be invaluable to be able use something like a Nano controller alongside.

I will have to look for another brilliant sounding Ipad synth.

Best

Richard