New Products you'd like to see at NAMM 2014

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Fantastca

Re: New Products you'd like to see at NAMM 2014

Post by Fantastca » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Sub 256 please thank you
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Fantastca wrote:Sub 256 please thank you
That's interesting, a 16 X 16 matrix of keys. Kind of like 3d chess except with music. Or how about 256 oscillators, with no filter, just a huge 256 channel mixer for additive synthesis.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:25 pm

thealien666 wrote:As with all Elektron stuff, I don't know why but, it doesn't appeal to me, analog and all.
Too convoluted interface maybe ?
Or maybe it's also the demos by that guy, who touches knobs as if they're on fire or something, and does too many things at once in a cacophony of random noises ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBg0Zny3GQ

Maybe it's just me, I don't know... :roll:

They should ask Marc Doty to produce a clear, concise, and exhaustive video presentation of their products. But then again, it would probably have to be split in 10 parts ! :shock:
None of the other Elektron products have appealed to me in the past… but there haven't been ANY drum machines on the market that got close to giving me what i wanted… When I look at the interface it seems reasonably intuitive.. there will be a learning curve, but if it's my go to drum machine it'll be a pleasure learning it inside and out regardless I think.. 8)

Before this thing my best option for the workflow i'm looking for would be to get something like a Vermona DRM drum synth and Ableton + Push to layer on the samples in real time with tweak ability and FX. However it was extremely resource intensive at a performance sample rate once stacked with everything else in my projects, plus it takes up a lot of tracks and preamps… it's just a bit messy.. and no presets for assisting in organising a live performance and i'd need to manipulate a unit other than the one i'm drumming on to tweak on the fly.. I could do something similar with an MPC, but without spending a fortune on outboard inserts (and even, once again then they wouldn't be controlled from the unit i'm actually drumming on) to get the compression/distortion per voice etc it still wouldn't give me the tweak ability I'm lusting for… Tempest, Machinedrum, Beat Thangg… I looked into all sorts.. just didn't appeal to me, they were a compromise..

This is EXACTLY what I need, I understand why maybe it wouldn't appeal to everybody.. and some of the demos are a bit hit and miss, but I'm fairly confident this is the only drum machine offering the workflow I'm looking for, if people don't adopt them, that's cool, it'll just make my drum sounds that much more unique, ay? It's up to us to extract the magic from them :)

I think i'll probably pre order a Sub 37… and then by the time I can afford to start thinking about the Analog RYTM they may of even show signs of re-releasing an "XL" version like Moog has done with the Sub Phatty -> Sub 37.. plus there will be more information available on the unit itself.. I'd probably be willing to go from $1500 to $2000 for a deluxe model..

I *know* I can trust Moog to give me the results I'm expect, my Taurus 3 never disappoints and I think the Sub 37 will be an excellent companion.. But I haven't rolled the dice on Elektron before, so I'm happy to sit and watch for awhile I think.. :)

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:27 pm

This is probably a better look at the unit… if you can tolerate the Future Music presenter… :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgR4ttITspA

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33 pm

One thing that has disappointed, that they may be able to implement yet is the lack of EQ in this unit… even just a 3 band with a sweepable mid (pref 4 band with 2 mids) for each voice and then maybe the same for the master bus (dare I hope for one pre Reverb and pre Delay also?)..

Something to help clean out the mud/wool a little bit when using the unit stand alone with a stereo out..

At home I work with a computer… But i really like the idea of being able to catch up with some of my band friends, setup an Analog RYTM and Sub37 at my hands and a Taurus 3 at my feet… all have some form of sequencing and tap tempo/sync and looping/arp available to them.. loving it 8)

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 am

Vsyevolod wrote:Now there's a man after my own heart, thinking with his balls...

:)

Stephen

No, that's not quite correct. Man and of course I we are using in general our brain for thinking and that's sometimes misleading and lead us to the wrong goal.
But when the nose" or the balls start acting autonomically, this will get us much closer to what we want at the end and prevent us from doing mistakes with too much thinking.
It's a question of "feeling" sometimes.............. :wink:
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am

I totally get that.

I've read this in books, but they called it the subconscious or intuition instead of balls and nose :)

I try to pay attention to those signs.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:I totally get that.

I've read this in books, but they called it the subconscious or intuition instead of balls and nose :)

I try to pay attention to those signs.
That's absolutely correct, But I thought we're kainda familiar over here....... :lol: :wink:

But see also this: Man a hudred of thousand years ago wasn't that intelligent like we are now ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )
so he had to judge things in general only by smelling, the food, the fire from the enemy, the smell of a person when she got frightened a.s.o.
So you see this is somthing very true and proved throughout a very long time. It's not a legend :D
And male are often said to make their decisions deriving from their hormones. Probably that's why people sometimes say: "He's got it in his balls" :D
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 pm

...but most often then not, the balls of a men don't smell so good.... :shock: :lol:
(and I'm not talking from experience I can assure you !)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Speak for yourself...

:)

Stephen

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah, I use a particular anti-dandruff shampoo, so mine smell like spring lilacs. Not one flake of dandruff either.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:19 pm

:lol:
I'm not sure I wanted that many details...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh man ! You can't tell that kids anything................they immediately cut loose...............
**** with everyone.