Slim Phatty parameters change with scene launch in Live

Everything Phatty.
dorianwolfman

Slim Phatty parameters change with scene launch in Live

Post by dorianwolfman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Does anybody else have this problem?

Ableton Live is sending midi to my Slim Phatty, and sometimes (for no logical reason it seems!) when I launch a new scene, a parameter changes to its minimum or maximum. At first, it was the arpeggiator that would turn on- but after changing the midi output in Ableton (and what the Phatty was set to receive), it's now the filter cutoff that goes to zero. Not every time, and not for the same scenes, but sometimes, this happens and all of a sudden when the scene starts my Phatty's cutoff is reduced to zero.

SUPER frustrating on stage.

Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done? I am thinking of automating the filter of EACH of my scenes to bring it up to my preset, but that's going to be really laborious and it seems silly.

Any ideas? I'm dying here!

Rabalder

Re: Slim Phatty parameters change with scene launch in Live

Post by Rabalder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:28 am

Having automation in the clips can cause this problem. This includes no actual automation, but just having a dot on the "automation-line". Make sure all automation is cleared in the clips you use, then save and re-open live.

What are you using the live-clips for? Sequencing? Have you tried to send program change with each clip?
Changing the midi input channel could maybe filter out any mysterious midi being sent..
Are you using midi or usb? Connected straight from the audio interfacer?
Any other programs opened while using live?

dorianwolfman

Post by dorianwolfman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:39 pm

The clips are sending midi to my synth, yes. There is automation on some parameters, but there are no dots on the filter cutoff channel, I've made sure. When it was outputting to the Phatty on midi channel 1, it was the arpeggiator that turned on. Now, on channels 2, 3 and 4 it's the filter cutoff that turns off. No other programs are open when using Live. I have just started using the program change feature, but the problem still occurs.

Any other suggestions?

cbright9

Post by cbright9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 am

The cc#'s in the little phatty are changeable, maybe the slim phatty has the same ability?
For instance:
When I turn my cutoff knob Im controlling CC#19. This to me is kind of odd because my cutoff knob on my ms2000 is CC#74. Why arent they all the same on ever machine?
So this brings me to the conclusion that maybe something is picking up a CC# that is recorded or automated inside ableton?
Moog LP StageII, Moog Sub37, Moog Midi Murf, Arturia MiniBrute, DSI Prophet 08, Akai MPC1000 JJos128XL, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Korg MS2000.

enossified

Post by enossified » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

Can you patch in a MIDI monitor and see what's actually being sent? That's the only way to know for sure what's being output to the Phatty.
cbright9 wrote:When I turn my cutoff knob Im controlling CC#19. This to me is kind of odd because my cutoff knob on my ms2000 is CC#74. Why arent they all the same on ever machine?
CC74 is the number specified in the MIDI spec and is followed by most Japanese mfrs.

Many other mfrs chose not to follow the MIDI spec with CCs for various reasons...14 bit resolution for instance (CC32 to CC63 are reserved to provide the extra 7 bits for CC0 to CC31).

cbright9

Post by cbright9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:53 pm

cbright9 wrote:Can you patch in a MIDI monitor and see what's actually being sent? That's the only way to know for sure what's being output to the Phatty.
Do you or anyone else know of a software midi monitor? I have one on my MPC1000 but I hate breaking it out of its position to check things like that. Maybe a M4L patch? That would be most convenient.
Moog LP StageII, Moog Sub37, Moog Midi Murf, Arturia MiniBrute, DSI Prophet 08, Akai MPC1000 JJos128XL, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Korg MS2000.