Poll: What do you use your Moog gear for?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

What do you use your Moog gear for?

1. 100% of my income. Music is my job.
2%
2. A considerable portion of my income. Without it, I'd be in financial crisis.
9%
3. No income derived from owning my Moogs whatsoever. (does not include ad fees earned on blogs.
25%
4. A hobby or expensive toy to have fun and play with. I have no gigs or music releases I've made money from.
33%
5. A tool by which to learn music or production. I have definite goals set to work in the music industry.
12%
6. Irritating the dog next door so it might quit barking.
5%
7. Ego. I own a Moog because I want to impress myself or others.
5%
8. Collecting.
9%

Total votes: 57

Kevin Lightner

Poll: What do you use your Moog gear for?

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 pm

I just wanted satisfy my curiousity (and opinions) by putting up a small poll.
The subject regards who the users of Moog synthesizers are.
Feel free to participate. :)

You may check up to 3 boxes at the same time (if logically sound.)
You may not change answers afterward.
The poll runs indefinitely.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Just Me

Re: Poll: What do you use your Moog gear for?

Post by Just Me » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Over a hundred MU of modular. 9 Foogers and a Voyager and it ends up being just for my own amusement. I've done some shows, but in this town you have to work your butt off to make fast food salary in music. I have a good 'real' job, so playing free or next to it doesn't bother me. I just don't do it often. I turn down about 50% of offers to play for various reasons.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I think this raises an interesting issue.

What is a musician? Indeed, a `professional' musician?

It used to be that `professional' meant you earn your living by doing something. It still does mean that, because we have a society geared more or less entirely to money.

But is the musician who earns money by it necessarily more professional in skill and attitude than someone who earns nothing from it?

Personally, I prefer to earn my money in other ways and leave my music completely free of all commercial and financial pressures. I regard myself as more skilled and more committed to music than many people who make money from it. Of course there are skilled and dedicated professional musicians, but there are also plenty of people who have little idea what they're doing and little interest in music for its own sake, who do a bit of vague knob tweaking and make a fortune out of the absurd state of the present music industry.

I prefer to ignore people like that. They don't interest me and they have no bearing on what I do. I'm certainly not jealous of their success because the price paid for such success is too high. I'd much rather make real music than have that kind of `success.' There are other ways to make a living, ways that don't damage your musical sensibilities, leaving you free to make the music that really matters.

But that being so, we really have to question the whole concept of a `professional' musician.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Sweep wrote:I think this raises an interesting issue.

What is a musician? Indeed, a `professional' musician?

It used to be that `professional' meant you earn your living by doing something. It still does mean that, because we have a society geared more or less entirely to money.

But is the musician who earns money by it necessarily more professional in skill and attitude than someone who earns nothing from it?

Personally, I prefer to earn my money in other ways and leave my music completely free of all commercial and financial pressures. I regard myself as more skilled and more committed to music than many people who make money from it. Of course there are skilled and dedicated professional musicians, but there are also plenty of people who have little idea what they're doing and little interest in music for its own sake, who do a bit of vague knob tweaking and make a fortune out of the absurd state of the present music industry.

I prefer to ignore people like that. They don't interest me and they have no bearing on what I do. I'm certainly not jealous of their success because the price paid for such success is too high. I'd much rather make real music than have that kind of `success.' There are other ways to make a living, ways that don't damage your musical sensibilities, leaving you free to make the music that really matters.

But that being so, we really have to question the whole concept of a `professional' musician.
It really depends on the context of the term. Many still consider professional to mean that it is your primary job and primary source of income. Semi-pro's earning some money and amateur/hobbyist making no money.

This categorization is not the same as skill level. Someone may very well be a "professional" and make millions of dollars but have very limited skills. On the flip side I know many who are highly skilled and classically trained who choose to play only for the enjoyment and make no money at all.

That being said the poll should have included a choice for "makes some money".

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Some interesting points to be sure.

My definition of a professional musician is one whose profession is music.
That is, their income and personal identity being directly tied to their music.
Whether a performer, engineer, recording artist, sound designer or whatever, that's what they do and get paid for it.
It has nothing to do with skill level or style. That's subjective.

I agree there's grey areas too.
There could be a chef who loves synths, but makes more money cooking.
His passion is music; his skills are in cooking. One supports the other.

It's not a perfect poll.
I've omitted pissing off the dog next door for a fee too. ;-)
Just curious that's all.
What is a rough profile of Moog users?
Nothing serious afoot here. :)

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 am

Strange that you have left out what I think would be a large proportion of users… that is those people who are not professional musicians but who do make some income from gigs and releases. Your options go from all to nothing.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 am

I'm a systems engineer in my day job and that is where I earn my income. I have played piano since age 3 and could had chosen to make a living as a musician but I decided to make it a hobby. My day job pays for my hobby. The only time I make money is local gigging, and at the moment I'm not even using any synths in the southern rock band.

I had a prog rock band who was really putting on the hard sell for me to work with them. I would had loved the challenge of prog, but they rehearse four hours away and they gig theaters all over the northeast and canada. I had to turn it down, there was no way I could had squeeze that in with my day job and the fuel expenses would had eroded any profit, not to mention consuming almost all my personal time.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

robotmakers

Post by robotmakers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:03 pm

My response is entirely parallel to MC's:

I have a serious day job and that's where I earn my income. I've played piano since age 5, etc. and my day job pays for this hobby. The only music related income I make is from a couple of songs authored for the Rock Band video game, and 0.001 cents per stream of a couple of tunes on the web.

The Smashing Pumpkins contacted me to be their keyboard player. I would had loved the challenge of that, but they're on the west coast and I live in NY. It would have been ridiculous. Both ridiculously cool and impossible.

Cheers,
Roger

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 pm

For those who said, by voting, that they want to irritate the dog next door with their Moog, they'd better have liquid cooled tweeters (not Twitters), otherwise they might see smoke, or smell something funny coming out of them before the dog next door even hears something annoying... :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

My Tannoy Ellipse 10's go up to 50K... is that enough?

Stephen

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Sorry, gotta "refudiate" you on that, as Sarah Palin would say. Dogs can be annoyed by all frequencies in the human range.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 pm

@unfiltered37
Yeah but the neighbor himself might be annoyed long before the dog, then... :wink:

@Vsyevolod
Yeah, but are they powerful enough (and cooled enough) to reach the barking dog next door, and shutting him up, before blowing up in smoke ? (especially if you play a 20KHz sine at full power for more than a few seconds continuously without hearing it yourself)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

fyvewytches wrote:Strange that you have left out what I think would be a large proportion of users… that is those people who are not professional musicians but who do make some income from gigs and releases. Your options go from all to nothing.
I tried to cover that with #2- but obviously made a mistake of omission.
I suppose I could have also included "I make less money from music than I invest into it", but someone would probably find an error there too.

The point of all this was based on a pov that few pro musicians spend their time online.
They spend it making music.
It wasn't meant to create hostility, guilt or whatever.
It was based on a conversation about 30 years ago at Roland where an employee took the point of view that Roland's customer base were mostly pro musicians.
I took the other side of the argument: that most buyers had a day job that paid the bills and music was a hobby or sideline.
The poll was to see if i was wrong, things had changed or whatever. That's all.
Sorry if I offended anyone.

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Cool thread, and a topic I've always wondered!
My case scenario: I play in multiple bands live and squeeze in some day job work (not much, but enough to smooth out the dips) This schedule creates an amazing lack of time to do anything other than maintain, if you know what I mean- So I dont have as many opportunities to grab a beer, get online and peruse forums, although I wish I did!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 am

If you ask the same question over at the Keyboard Corner forum, you'll get a very different response. A lot of Pro musicians hang out over there and spend inordinate amounts of time on forums. One main reason why I don't hang there anymore...

Stephen