Better Sound of Voyager with better cables?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Beluhan

Better Sound of Voyager with better cables?

Post by Beluhan » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:00 am

:o Has anyone tried better Powercords (oxygenefree copper cable like the Monster Powerline 300 or XLO ER 10) an recognized an improvement in Sound Quality of the voayager?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:44 pm

Voodoo.

Well for the most part. I mean a plastic molded cable is cheap and bad and George L's have less impendence for a clearer sound with guitar(because it has pick-ups). Really just try and use a decent cable that's not molded at the ends and keep it as short as you can.

Unless you've got the money to spend on that $1000 cable.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:25 pm

Guitar pickups have high output impedances.

The Voyager and other synths has low output impedances.

The George L's are optimized for guitars, but you will not notice any difference with synths.

I'm an EE and I don't see any benefit with fancy cables with synths, mixers, processors, and any other gear with active outputs. Waste of $$$.

Beluhan

cables

Post by Beluhan » Sun May 02, 2004 4:55 pm

I've changed the ordinary cables against Monster Prolink 1000 between mixer and voyager and noticed a BIG difference in sound quality. The monsters do not have distortion while ordinary cables have a lot of distortion. That's fact as far as my ears work well. If i want distortion i use a tube amp. By the way all the famous american players use like santana, Al DiMeola, Slash use monsters.

chihuahuaphile

Post by chihuahuaphile » Sun May 02, 2004 6:21 pm

all of them eh?

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:28 am

I use Planet Waves, and I love them. I've never had a problem with PW. Cheaper cables didn't seem to last.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:14 pm

I don't notice any difference in cables sound-wise. But a good cable will last a lot longer and be more dependable. And for that reason they are worth the extra money.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

pelican1

Post by pelican1 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:36 pm

Haven't tried with my synths, but I bought a monster cable for my guitar earlier. Huge difference in a $120 cable and a $12 cable. I could not believe it.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Unless your using a a device with a high impedance output like a guitar, don't believe the hype. Quality cables will last longer, but synth outputs are low impedance so any loss in quality will not be noticed.

Think of it like this, if current is like water and cables are like hoses then guitars only have a small trickle flowing out of them. Any small blockage in the hose is going to seriously effect the flow. But synth outputs are like roaring streams, a little blockage won't have any effect.

I suggest getting a mid-quality cable. Not too cheap, those will just fall apart. Besides, Moog freaks like us have much better things to blow our money on...like $700 delays...

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:45 pm

Maybe I won't use cheap cable on my Moog Dealy :).

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:10 am

I see how an expensive power cord wouldn't do a whole lot, but I have used Monster Prolink audio cables and I can hear a difference from the ProCo cables. I can hear more nuance in the sound. It's pretty clear to me unless my brain is creating the illusion. Although, you'd have to have a lot of cash to burn to hook up the Voyager and all of the MFs with Moster cables which I don't.

I used to install car audio equipment and there was always a similar discussion about Monster RCA cables, Phoenix Gold, etc.

jamirokid

Post by jamirokid » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:47 pm

IMHO, I think there's definitely an advantage to using a nicer cable. I use a monter rock cable and I like it a lot. The main benefit to the monster cables is the resistence to interference. They don't seem to transmit as much external noise, especially if you don't have "clean" power!