Winter NAMM 2014 ..rumours?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
misterpete

Winter NAMM 2014 ..rumours?

Post by misterpete » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Is anybody going to Anaheim in January? What are you excited to see this year?
The only MOOG-related Winter NAMM 2014 rumour I came across so far suggested they would be entering the eurorack modular market which is something I find very hard to believe.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Kenneth

Re: Winter NAMM 2014 ..rumours?

Post by Kenneth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:09 am

I don't know about any rumors, but I would love to see another release from Korg, this time geared more toward professional studio musicians. DSI has a monopoly in the realm of analog polyphony, and I am hoping to see Korg kick them in the jaw with a Polysix mini or something to that extent. Blofeld, it seems, have been testing the polyphonic water with their Rocket and Pulse 2 models, both of which are capable of polyphony via divide-down oscillator technology. It would be interesting and exciting to see them announce a fully-fledged analog polysynth.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

eXode

Post by eXode » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 am

There has been mentions of a new instrument related to Moogfest, also there has been a registration of the name "SP TRIBUTE" by Moog Music. That's all I know at this point. :)

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Hmmm, that's exciting! ~ Do you mean the "unreleased" instrument that Engineer VIP pass holders build?
If it's "unreleased" at Moogfest - it doesn't make sense they would be unveiling it at NAMM 3-4 months earlier.
eXode wrote:There has been mentions of a new instrument related to Moogfest, also there has been a registration of the name "SP TRIBUTE" by Moog Music. That's all I know at this point. :)
Please Call Me, PETE

eXode

Post by eXode » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:16 pm

misterpete wrote:Hmmm, that's exciting! ~ Do you mean the "unreleased" instrument that Engineer VIP pass holders build?
If it's "unreleased" at Moogfest - it doesn't make sense they would be unveiling it at NAMM 3-4 months earlier.
eXode wrote:There has been mentions of a new instrument related to Moogfest, also there has been a registration of the name "SP TRIBUTE" by Moog Music. That's all I know at this point. :)
I don't know, but to play the devils advocate a bit it can still be unreleased, as in not available to the public, even if it's been unveiled at NAMM.

If you consider the Sub Phatty that was unveiled just before WNAMM´13, yet it wasn't available until april/may. :)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I heard they were making a Moog car. It has no steering wheel, only a single 1/4' jack. The steering can be modulated by any number of cv sources on the dash. Watch out for that sample and hold though, that can get a little rough.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Cool! How does it handle in water? Can it fly? Maybe we won't have to buy return airfare! :lol:
I just hope I'll be wearing a pair of MOOGle Glass when I get behind the wheel of my CVmobile.
8)
unfiltered37 wrote:I heard they were making a Moog car. It has no steering wheel, only a single 1/4' jack. The steering can be modulated by any number of cv sources on the dash. Watch out for that sample and hold though, that can get a little rough.
Please Call Me, PETE

MC

Post by MC » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Oh goodie, the annual NAMM rumor thread
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 am

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/p12m/

Eurorack is the way to go though I think, at least that's where I'm headed. We've been hearing the same old since the '60s and it's time for something different.

radioland

Post by radioland » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 am

I heard they were making a Moog car. It has no steering wheel, only a single 1/4' jack. The steering can be modulated by any number of cv sources on the dash. Watch out for that sample and hold though, that can get a little rough.
I think they should release an XL version too with the patch panel of the voyager XL and its ribbon controller - makes it a lot easier for beginners...
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

willi

Post by willi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Elektron has something coming as alluded to during the AnalogKeys release event.
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

latigid on wrote:Eurorack is the way to go though I think, at least that's where I'm headed. We've been hearing the same old since the '60s and it's time for something different.
Just out of curiosity, what is so different about eurorack that is any different from Buchla or Modcan? You can reply in pm if you like to keep this on topic.

IF Moog was going to go to modules, it would be eurorack, due to it's popularity, but they would blow the lid off the less expensive advantage of going with that format. If they did go modular, I sincerely hope that they LAST module they offered was the ladder filter. They really need to make a hardware version of their multimode filter that IK multimedia made, but this isn't really eurorack ready either though.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Eurorack is exploding at the moment because its price and form factor put it in the hands of many people. Old modulars are big, heavy and expensive, whereas Buchla is smaller but very expensive. Now there's a real possibility of using a small format modular live if you want to, not to say that you couldn't with the old stuff but it would be inherently more difficult and $risky.

True, many companies are working on "West Coast-style" modules (Make Noise has that sort of inspiration) but with workflow that is more intelligible than Buchla (IMO). Attachment to op amp logic and LM13700 circuits will tend to give the same kind of sounds, but the real development seems to be in digital designs with proper control elements. Mutable Instruments has some incroyable stuff based on DSP chips (Braids and Tides are on my wishlist).

I think they could sell a modularised MF-101 for less than $289 (Sweetwater price) but they would risk entering a market saturated with these types of devices. But, if they can innovate and come up with something new for not too much $$, people will jump on it for sure.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:37 pm

There is no way Moog would ever go eurorack, it's just not their style. And I have tried a doepfer eurorack, it is not that great. It gets cluttered fast, and the knobs can be awkward. I think modular synths are not supposed to be compact, or lightweight or whatever. If you want compact, there are plenty of semi-modular and all in one synths out there.

I don't think Moog will ever go full modular. Very few companies, none I can think of, all of a sudden go into the modular market after a long history of making keyboard synths.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Never say never. Moog Music's old slogan was "uncontaminated by the digital world" before they released the MuRF, Animoog etc.

Cluttered? It depends what you buy and how you arrange your system. The beauty is having a wide variety to choose from. A lot of the 5U/Modcan/Dotcom stuff follows a rigid design philosophy that works for some people.

Semi-modular? Sure, but it's still more of the same predestined setup.

As always: each to their own