Which moogerfooger should I get?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
dravis14

Which moogerfooger should I get?

Post by dravis14 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Love my Voyager EB.....if I could only buy 1 MF, which one would compliment my Voyager the best? I'm inclined to go w/ the MF104, but wanna hear what you guys think. Thanx alot.

Don S.
[email protected]

Alien8

Re: Which moogerfooger should I get?

Post by Alien8 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:18 pm

If you search theses forums you will find lots of opinions and even the same question bein asked. Your answer lies some where between 102 & 107.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:37 pm

You will get mad disagreement as well. 104 hands down. The ring mod is great for a second MF, but if you don't have an analog delay or tape delay, get one immediately.

radioland

Post by radioland » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 am

It depends on what you want to do.
The 104M was the first one and still is the holy grail of Moogerfoogers to me. What it does to leads is magic, and with its versatile LFO and tap tempo you can get all sorts of beautiful, dirty, extreme, trippy, subtle, spacey sounds. If you want to use your Fooger for modulation, go for the Ringmod (Osc out and LFO out) or the Freqbox (Osc out and Env out). After having seen all the (sometimes questionable) demos of the Freqbox with guitar on Youtube I am particularly pleased with what it can do to my Sub Phatty. So even without any CV outs on your synth, it can add a lot.
I like the Clusterflux a lot too - its spaciousness and "industrialness" opened a new world for me ("this is what I`ve been looking for without knowing it"), it is awesome with rhythm instruments/synths and has the same wonderful LFO as the Delay.
Now the real fun only starts with the cp-251, so the idea of getting "only one Moogerfooger" will suddenly be forgotten once you have your "first one in a long row" :D .
Last edited by radioland on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 am

Ring mod if it will be your only Fooger. But definitely get a delay of some sort to go with it. There are so many really good delays for half the money of a 104 and no ring mods that rival the Fooger version at any price.
This from a guy with 1 CP251, 1 FILTER, 2 PHASER, 2 RING MOD, 1 DELAY, 1 MuRF and a FreqBox. (Yeah, I know. I sold some off last year.) I find the Strymon El Capistan is my favorite of the 6 delays I have.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Just Me wrote:Ring mod if it will be your only Fooger. But definitely get a delay of some sort to go with it. There are so many really good delays for half the money of a 104 and no ring mods that rival the Fooger version at any price.
This from a guy with 1 CP251, 1 FILTER, 2 PHASER, 2 RING MOD, 1 DELAY, 1 MuRF and a FreqBox. (Yeah, I know. I sold some off last year.) I find the Strymon El Capistan is my favorite of the 6 delays I have.
No offense, but I think you have too many foogers to really appreciate the 104. I have heard the el capistan, it is nothing compared to the 104. It sounds okay, but the 104 is obscenely cool. You should experiment more with using the cp-251 and even a sequencer or keyboard to "play" the delay time. To each his own of course, but I used to value my space echo over the 104, until I experimented extensively with it and found it can do really unreal things to almost any source.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Started out with a couple 104Zs. It is a good analog delay and has a bunch of modulation options, but for me, it is no holy grail delay. My PCM-42 IS a holy grail delay. I'm old and grew up in the era of bbd and tape as the only options. Digital delays came along and I dumped the analogs. I still like tape delays and if I want distortion I can readjust the bias and make the delay lossy or noisy as needed. When I want dark degrading repeats, the analog bbd is the way to go. Guess it depends on what you want, need or the era you came from.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Ah, sorry, I always assume people on this forum are analog heads. But on analog sources, like my model D, there is nothing like a BBD. And the 104 is the BEST BBD I have ever heard. I have seen so many model D videos with digital delays, and it is just not even close, even when the mix is turned down. The warm creamy analog sound turns to harsh digital decay.

See to me, the decay of a sound is extremely important, and I have always had an affinity for analog synths and delays and reverbs because of the wonderful smooth decay. That just doesn't happen on digital, even with the best.

So I guess its another analog vs digital thing. But even with that, the CV control is extremely cool. You can do REALLY cool things with it, like getting the wow and flutter of a tape delay and being able to play discrete frequencies of delay time.