Micky Dolenz Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mikael488

Re: Micky Dolenz Moog

Post by mikael488 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 am

The "Daily Nightly" video was first shown in the episode "Fairy Tale" which aired on Jan 8, 1968 (Filming date: 11/10/1967):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknvyT7wEXU

In spite of the fact that the Moog can be seen in the video I strongly doubt it was used on the actual recording, because the
synth overdubs on this song were made in aug '67**, one month before Dolenz bought the instrument.
http://monkeessessionography.tripod.com/pacj.html

I'm pretty sure theredore that Dolenz used Paul Beaver's early '67 Moog system for this song.

It might have been used on "Star Collector"since the synth overdubs were made in oct '67 but I wouldn't bet on it.

But in the end it doesn't really matter because as far as I can tell Beaver's and Dolenz' Moog systems were pretty
much identical except in appearance.

** the Moog part on The Door's "Strange Days" was also done in aug '67 so I think we can safely say that Dolenz Moog
couldn't have been used on that song either. Afaik Beaver & Krause brought their own Moog system to the recording
sessions as they usually did when working on other artists projects.
Last edited by mikael488 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikael488

Post by mikael488 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:46 am

MC wrote:Those aren't oak cabinets, they're plywood with veneer.

I count only a single 901A controller for the entire system. Did it drive all the 901B VCOs?

Note the 901C Output Stage module. You don't see many of those.

Zero 960 sequencers. You'd think that would be a standard module in a B&K system.

Definitely a very unusual modular, thanks for sharing.
Afaik the 960 sequencers weren't introduced until sometime in 1968. They existed in prototype form before that
however and Beaver & Krause first used them on the album The Nonesuch guide to electronic music which was
recorded in the latter part of '67 and therefore possibly the first commercial recording featuring the Moog sequencer.

compago

Post by compago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:02 am

Guys - wow thanks so much for all the great info and resourcefulness. here is a very large image:

http://www.compago.net/music/moog/img/1 ... IIP-3C.jpg

Please notice in the upper middle case, the odd "Envelope Voltages to Amplifiers" module with three heavy red toggle switches. Anyone seen that before?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:23 am

Some interesting quotes I found somewhere on the net about that particular Moog.
wrote:
"I ran into Dolenz on Tuesday night in the parking lot outside Amoeba Music, which was holding a “Nuggets” record release event with performances by several acts who are represented on the box. “Ahh, my little Moog synthesizer,” said Dolenz, who didn’t sing Tuesday night but attended to visit with some old friends and well-wishers.

“It was actually a pretty difficult thing to use,” he said, recalling how those first-generation synthesizers had to be physically rewired for every different sound the musician might want to use. “I threw a party for John Lennon one night, and he sat there at the Moog for four hours making flying saucer sounds. It was great for flying saucer sounds.”

I immediately wondered what became of that particular Moog, given its role in a bit of rock history.

“I sold it to Bobby Sherman,” Dolenz said. “I think he still has it.”

TeleViddle (Prodigy Member)
Bobby- I heard you bought Mickey Dolenz' Moog Synthesizer back in the early Seventies. Do you still have it?

Bobby Sherman (Speaker)
Mickey, is that you? [g] Yes, I did buy it, but no, I don't have it anymore. He bought it when it was considered state-of-the-art, and I bought it from him for a song! They were very, very difficult to work, so I gave it to someone who had more time to try to make it work!
Fun to think about John Lennon making space sounds for hours on that Moog. Perhaps his first real try at a Moog? The Beatles later acquired a IIIP of thier own in January 1969.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

mikael488

Post by mikael488 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 am

Here's another nice shot of Mickey with his Moog:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/9b771b8f1460 ... 1_1280.jpg

compago

Post by compago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:20 am

- CZ Rider thanks for that! I think this LA Times article is the original source?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... erman.html

John Lennon playing it for four hours.. we're officially over the moon at this point.

Everyone - thanks for all your information. I am very grateful for all the input.

* Any ideas on the toggle switches panel / module?

mikael488 thanks for the large pic!

mikael488

Post by mikael488 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:25 pm

You're welcome compago :-)

Here's another large (mirrored) photo of Mickey with his Moog probably taken around the same time:
http://www.monkeesconcerts.com/uploads/ ... 1_orig.jpg

The guy in the background looks like Paul McCartney, doesn't he?

compago

Post by compago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

It's doesn't look like Paul McCartney, I have this image (albeit a smaller version) and I thought it might be Paul Beaver who sold the Moog to Micky, but I can't confirm.

The image is reversed as the Moog is backwards or rotated 180 deg horizontal lol

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:03 pm

compago wrote: Everyone - thanks for all your information. I am very grateful for all the input.

* Any ideas on the toggle switches panel / module?

Well, thanks for taking the time to post pics! You have documented quite a bit of info in those photos. I would like to see what the backs and cabinet interconnections looked like, but the info you posted sheds much light on those early experimental days at the R A Moog Co. in Trumansburg. For instance I noticed all the pots look to be the Mallory type. Bob would later move to all A/B type J pots. Interesting.

Those toggles are the first I can recall seeing in a Moog system. Those red/white covers on some were added later as documented in the early photos with Dolenz where it is just the metal toggle ends. There were a few photos of early systems with many of those black rocker switches, (same as the power switch type) that presumably did similar signal routing functions.
Bob would later standardize some of those routing functions in the 992, 993, and CP3 routing switches. The 993 is very similar to the single width three toggle 911 envelope to 902 VCA panel on the Dolenz system.
The 993 via Moog Archives site:

I actually used similar toggles on a custom Moog I did and never thought using those type switches was very "authentic". But thanks to your photos they look quite Moogish now! :lol:

mikael488, thanks for posting that Dolenz photo! Never saw that one before.
Earlier in this post, I was questioning where the controls were on that special portable 950 keyboard. A model 950-P? They usually had scale, range, and portamento dials, but that one has no panels on the end cheeks. You can almost see it in your photo, there is a panel with those controls just under the left side of the keyboard.
I did find a photo of another portable "Oak Finished" system. Before seeing those Dolenz cabinet close ups, I would have guessed this was a DIY cabinet. It is wider at 12 module width but it looks like the Dolenz 3-P wasn't the only early portable.

You can clearly see the controls on that 950-P, and the odd way there was a cover that latched over the keyboard. Probably box shaped with a handle similar to the way the Mini model B went together.That cabinet construction is exactly like the Dolenz ones, same hardware and hinges. Looks to have another mystery module on the upper right. I thought it read "901 mixer", but looking at a higher rez photo I think it reads 981 mixer. So a four input, final output mixer without bass/treble like the 982/984 had.

EDIT: See a newer mikael488 photo posted wth those 950-P controls visible!
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,

compago

Post by compago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Amazing info, thanks so much.

Here is a closeup of the toggle switch panel front and back

http://compago.net/music/moog/img/67-Mo ... Module.jpg

and note the low serial on the 914 ;-)

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 pm

From the photos, one of my keyboard controllers looks very similar to the Dolenz system's, especially the top piece.
Compago, I'm curious if you've looked inside your 950. As far as I can tell, my keyboard isn't a P-R, because it has some very delicate gold wires that connect with the buss when the keys are depressed. Mine doesn't have the front-mounted control pots, but my pitch/scale/portamento controls look very different from my other stock (or later) 950. All this leads me to think that it's a '67 or earlier keyboard.
Any ideas?

compago

Post by compago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:30 pm

I have not seen the keyboard as (I wrote this earlier) the owner does not have physical possession of it but he "knows where it is" and is somewhat reserved regarding any details. I just don't know any more than that.

I am merely the humble broker (analog synth geek!) of this fantastic Moog modular. I've asked the owner to get the kb back and he's indicated that "it's possible" and "he'll get to it" but he has more pressing affairs. That said, now that we know it was Dolenz' as well as John Lennon played it (!) - he's motivated. (we were hoping for Jim Morrison and got John Lennon.. wow) and I'm a fan of the great Micky Dolenz so it's all good!

I want this baby serviced, tuned and moved to a well-lit recording studio (I am a professional photographer) where I can properly film it and archive it as it should be - full HD "music video documentary", great audio quality, a good half hour session all on video etc.

BTW I can now confirm we have most if not all of the original 1967 Moog 1/4" patch cords that were shipped with this wonderful modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:40 pm

CZ Rider wrote: Image
I almost posted "I didn't know you had a VCS3 and a 2500." I think we are used to seeing you acquire a lot of gems.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:28 pm

EricK wrote:I almost posted "I didn't know you had a VCS3 and a 2500." I think we are used to seeing you acquire a lot of gems.
I'm not sure who's studio that is? Not mine, I thought is was located somewhere in Japan? I cropped out most of the other distractions. That 2500 had double cabinets stacked, and a few other rare goodies. I was wondering though with all the "Oak Finished" equipment in that studio, if that was not the first request for a portable oak Moog. That is an early system there.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 pm

The Dolenz/Sherman system is in nice shape, certainly. MINT is a strong word, I would not use it for this system, but near-mint is certainly closer and more honestly, one would say "excellent" condition. Mint means NO fingerprints or any signs of human life beyond the factory table... it has scratches, etc. Those lower mixers are not prototypes (as said before) but really just "the way they did things" back then, before ConsolePanel modules were standardized.

Good dating/detective work on the dates for the Monkees and Birds sessions.

Serial Numbers - they all start at #1000, but be VERY careful - there were many modules made before they gave serial numbers (which started in 1967) so having #1000 of something does not mean it is the first!