960 & 962 hook up...?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noddyspuncture

960 & 962 hook up...?

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi folks,

Could anyone tell me please - the rear connectors on the 960 and 962... can these modules work together with just the power connected, or do they need to be hooked together via the other rear connections as well to function..?

I just bought myself the Synths.com Q960 & Q962 equivalents and was wondering if it would be possible to hook up my R.A Moog delays mixer module (262..?) to them.

This module was part of the CEMS system (doesn't have a designated model number) as seen here:
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2012/08/ra-m ... -auto.html

Any opinions, ideas, comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Kevin Lightner

Re: 960 & 962 hook up...?

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:23 pm

I already know that by the time anyone replies to this, Tom will have already mastered 24 note sequences and composed a new piece replete with video.
Why bother? :)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Hehe... do you, per chance, know the answer Kevin...!?
Kevin Lightner wrote:I already know that by the time anyone replies to this, Tom will have already mastered 24 note sequences and composed a new piece replete with video.
Why bother? :)

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Just give them power and patch them from the front.

A common setup is the 24 note length sequence.
Here, you take the output of each row and feed it into an input on the 962.
The output of the 962 is your sequencer output (CV).
To make the 962 switch sequencer banks, take the last trig (or gate) output of a row on the 960 and send it to the 962's clock (shift) input.
The sequencer will count to 8, trig the 962 and it will output the next row and so on, then repeat (if set to.)

If you move the 960's trig out to another stage instead of 8, say 4, it will produce a 12 note sequence. (3 x 4 = 12)
By using the 960's trig out in this manner you can get the following length sequences:

Stage Length
1 3
2 6
3 9
4 12
5 15
6 18
7 21
8 24

You can also do other crazy things such as using the CV out of a stage as a gate or even the entire 960 as an audio osc.
To make the 960 into a sort of VCO where the clock input is voltage controlled and should track and the audio is taken from a stage's CV out.
With this above, you can treat a 960 as complex waveform osc where it can do staircased sawtooths and such.
You can also mix the stage outputs with a mixer whether you're treating them as CV outs or audio outs.
The mixers on a Moog can handle DC.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for that info Kevin... looks like I'll be having bucket loads of fun...!

I did suspect it was all patchable from the front, like a lot of the modules are... the exceptions being the linking together of the 901a and 901b. I didn't know for sure if the extra rear connector terminals of the 960 & 962 were similar. Looking at the schematics there doesn't seem to be any mention of the extra six contacts.

So, if I were to try and bring in my "262 delays mixer" (is that name correct - ? ) I'd just patch that up from the front panel also...?

Cheers,
Tom

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:46 pm

The 262 is a custom module and I have zero experience with it.
From what I can tell by it's panel, it allows much more complex sequences.
It appears to really be a divider, not a delay.
But I really don't know.

Here's all I can suggest:

1. Try anything. It probably won't hurt, though running outputs to outputs should be avoided.
2. Abandon the notion of things being cv, gates and audio. *Everything* is voltage. Audio included.
3. Study. Understand as much as you can about the modules themselves.
4. Have fun. Never let a modular frustrate you. There is usually a way to do what you want if you get creative (and have enough modules.)