Micky Dolenz Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
theglyph

Micky Dolenz Moog

Post by theglyph » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 am

What's they saying? Give a man a Moog and he makes some noise. Teach a man how to use a Moog and he makes a hit record! :D

Anyhow, I think some people here will get a "kick" out of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XEHgsa11Uk

Kevin Lightner

Re: Micky Dolenz Moog

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 am

Apparently if you adjust the pitch knob on a 901B that isn't even patched up, it will control the contrast of the video.
Who knew?

... and why does Peter have all the patchcords around his neck?
Too messy to have the Moog patched for a corporate video? ;-)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:38 pm

That is actually quite an interesting Moog that Mickey Dolenz has. Acording to the Moog archives site, that was the first model III made with the portable cabinets. Wonder if Dolenz special ordered it this way? Those portable cabinets later became the standard for performance systems that made it to many stages in the following years. And eventually led to the development of a Minimoog, the ultimate in portable performance moogs.
Another pic of Dolenz and his Moog.
That looks to have a custom 8 input mixer below the oscillators, and that portable keyboard has no visible electronics on either end cheek for range and scale. Perhaps another custom one off made for Dolenz with the electronics on one of the CP panels on the main synth. The Moog Archive site lists this as the 20th Modular made and sold on 9/15/67.With the description "First Model III-P, Oak Cabinets 901-2,901A,901B-8,901C,903,902-3,904ABC,905,914,984,911-3,911A,912". No mention of the custom keyboard or ribbon controller. It was early supporters of Moog like Dolenz that made it possible for them to continue building modulars.

The video is great too! First time I had ever seen a Moog back when this originally aired on american TV. Looks to be properly patched from the begining close up capture here.

Classic!

1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 am

Looks to be properly patched from the begining close up capture here.
Perhaps it had normalled connections,but I don't see any audio input to the filter(s.)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

CZ Rider wrote: Image
Quite possibly the very first modular/cat photo ever. :)

metron

Post by metron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:16 pm

You synth geeks! It doesnt matter if its patched properly, the monkees faked pretty much everything musical they did. :D cool video though. They used pretty good session musicians for their tracks.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

MC

Post by MC » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Trigger wrote:
CZ Rider wrote: Image
Quite possibly the very first modular/cat photo ever. :)
Proof that analog is warmer - cats are attracted to warm objects :D
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 pm

That is some of the worst synth playing I've ever heard. Depressing, really.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

mikael488

Post by mikael488 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Cool photos!

The actual Moog used on "Daily Nightly" was most likely Paul Beaver's "Synthesizer III" from early '67 since the synth overdubs were made in august '67, over a month before Dolenz received his III-P.

Here's a picture of the early model used by Beaver & Krause (this synth was also used on Zodiac: cosmic sounds, The Trip soundtrack, The Doors' Strange Days and The Nonesuch guide to electronic music etc.):

The module configuration seems to be pretty much the same as in Dolenz's system.

mikael488

Post by mikael488 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

You can add Emil Richards' New sound element 'stones' and The Byrds' "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" to the list of albums that feature Paul Beaver's early Moog.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 am

I read Paul Beaver did the session, but the Monkees thought his work was much too "safe"; they wanted "out there" so Micky redid the part himself.

If you read Andrew Sandoval's great book on their history, there's more on the synth and it refutes the myth that they didn't play on their own albums. Yes, there were session players, but the Monkees themselves played a LOT of tracks. Even the Beatles were big fans of the Monkees and their music...

compago

Post by compago » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:49 pm

I have access to Micky Dolenz' 1967 R.A. Moog Modular III-p or 3C. It's still visibly mint, the owner is selling it and I am representing him. It's a museum piece. It may have been the moog used on The Doors Strange Days song, I am trying to verify that. Pretty sure Micky sold it to Bobby Sherman "for a song". There are 3 wood cabinets and 28 modules total, including all three 904's, ten oscillators and some apparently rare one-off mixer and I/O modules without serials or model numbers - but with black lettering-gun tape. Talk about old school!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Nice!
Can you post any photos of the system?
Very historic indeed. To my knowledge, this was the first portable cabinet Moog modular made. One of those early systems that seemed to dissapear. Glad to hear that it was not lost or scrapped. That keyboard was a strange configuration too, and was built to be portable.
Not to many photos of that unique system. Would be great to document some of this.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:36 am

It was indeed sold to Bobby Sherman, now an ambulance tech. Also would like to see some detail shots of this instrument - I've been looking for it for 20+ years. Still in LA?

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:38 am

compago wrote:I have access to Micky Dolenz' 1967 R.A. Moog Modular III-p or 3C. It's still visibly mint, the owner is selling it and I am representing him. It's a museum piece. It may have been the moog used on The Doors Strange Days song, I am trying to verify that. Pretty sure Micky sold it to Bobby Sherman "for a song". There are 3 wood cabinets and 28 modules total, including all three 904's, ten oscillators and some apparently rare one-off mixer and I/O modules without serials or model numbers - but with black lettering-gun tape. Talk about old school!
You may be disappointed to know that Electra studios had their own Moog, as used on some Doors and others. And Paul Beaver's was often brought to Electra (the building is still on La Cienega) for sessions (George Harrison's Electronic Sound, Mort Garson records, etc.) What are the clues that make you think the Monkees' machine was used?