New Little Phatty / Slim Phatty firmware to test

Everything Phatty.
dshook

Re: New Little Phatty / Slim Phatty firmware to test

Post by dshook » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Amos

Would love to test this one - I am on a MAC however - did you manage to sort out the MIDI CLOCK DIV setting bug? (not saving along with presets/returning always to default value)

Looking forward!

Dan

Jay944

Post by Jay944 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:29 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Jay944 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Hope this is the proper place to report bugs.

When triggering the SlimPhatty from my Tempest, it seems the SP gets note on/off reversed.
I cant get Tempest to do this with another synth, or in Ableton Live.
The Tempest seems to be triggering properly,
however the SP seems to get stuck with a note on.
Prior to this beta it did the same thing, and activating and deactivating the arp killed the stuck note.
With this current beta, only restarting the SP will rid of the stuck note.

I am still uncertain this is an SP bug, yet after trying this new beta I am thinking it falls on the SP and the Tempest is acting as expected.

Thanks.

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello Amos,

Good to talk to you personally at the Trash Audio meet in October. And indeed you did say You were going to work on an update to address the dropped notes when poly-chaining! You have done this and this is very cool. 8)

I do have a Mac, but if it does not brick my Phattys I am willing to try the slow update procedure! :D

My Phatty is a Tribute, but on the inside the guts are a Stage II (because a few years ago I had this changed by you all) so please send me a link to the new Beta os for a Stage II. And for the Slim Phatty as well as I am poly-chaining the two.

Thank You,

Matthew Thomas

moog-ish

Post by moog-ish » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Amos, If you currently work on the LP firmware, pleeease tweak the Midi velocity curve that the LP sends out from the keyboard. It has too small values for the low numbers. For example: If you use the LP as a Midi-keyboard with Logic and you press the keys very light, you sometimes get no sound. This is different from all the regular midi keyboards I tested. Please consider to adjust the velocity curve with this firmware upgrade. -Steve

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks for the PM Amos with the links. I thought I would post my initial findings here. I do have a iMac (2.8 GHz Intel Core i5) and it took the program, Phatty Loader, several seconds to launch more than a normal "program" would. But, after that the Beta OS uploaded very quickly on my Phatty and the Slim Phatty.

So other Mac users should not be discouraged to test the beta OS out!

I am running the Mavericks OS, and it does seem to do doggy things from Mac to Mac so results could vary.

One thing I do notice right off the batt that seems to not be functioning like before Is that when I'm arpeggiating the two units (Stage + Slim), I like to tweak the parameters on the second unit (Slim) voice while playing to get a different sound from the second unit (Slim). Now this is not possible and the poly chained unit (Slim) seems to be hard synced to the primary unit (Stage) in the poly-chain.

-Geoscience

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm

cool, maybe I'm the only Mac user who's having an issue with the new Loader... that'd be great. :)

Mac users, please PM me also!

As for this report:
when I'm arpeggiating the two units (Stage + Slim), I like to tweak the parameters on the second unit (Slim) voice while playing to get a different sound from the second unit (Slim). Now this is not possible and the poly chained unit (Slim) seems to be hard synced to the primary unit (Stage) in the poly-chain.
how do you mean, "hard synced"? -- When you tweak a parameter on the Slim, does the sound of the Slim not change? Am I understanding you correctly? and is local control turned on, on the slim? What MIDI connections exist between the two units?

-Amos

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 pm

I am a Mac user, LP Stage II.
I would like to test the firmware.

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Amos wrote:cool, maybe I'm the only Mac user who's having an issue with the new Loader... that'd be great. :)

Mac users, please PM me also!

As for this report:
when I'm arpeggiating the two units (Stage + Slim), I like to tweak the parameters on the second unit (Slim) voice while playing to get a different sound from the second unit (Slim). Now this is not possible and the poly chained unit (Slim) seems to be hard synced to the primary unit (Stage) in the poly-chain.
how do you mean, "hard synced"? -- When you tweak a parameter on the Slim, does the sound of the Slim not change? Am I understanding you correctly? and is local control turned on, on the slim? What MIDI connections exist between the two units?

-Amos
Thanks for the reply Amos.

Your understanding of my statement was correct but my understanding of the Slim was a bit off. :oops: I needed to adjust some settings in the midi merge section and all is working fine now. :D I'll continue to test.

One thing I will mention is how poly-chaining interacts with Ableton Live, and it has always been this way for me. When trying to use the midi overdub function on a clip in Ableton, this results in sort of a "note feedback loop". As the timeline passes over previously written notes in a loop, these notes get drawn out indefinitely, rendering midi overdubs impossible in a previously recorded midi clip. I think this is directly related to the midi merge function. Turn midi merge off and this behavior goes away but you lose the ability to poly-chain.

This may only happen in Ableton, but there are many Ableton users out there as you know.

-Matthew

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:32 am

:shock:
So this is the trick!
geoscience wrote:I think this is directly related to the midi merge function. Turn midi merge off and this behavior goes away but you lose the ability to poly-chain.
I had such nightmares with MIDI overdubbing, especially CCs.

I have to give it a try!
Thanx geoscience!

So, is this firmware working on mac?
If so, Amos, I'm ready for new firmware!

Where can I get it? :D
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

geoscience

Post by geoscience » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 am

No problem Vitja I'm glad I mentioned this!

Over the years I just began to accept the limitation of not being able to overdub the polychained Phatty in Ableton. It would be nice to have this feature back though.

One more thing I will mention about the Phatty Loader program with my system. Phatty Loader did crash on me a couple of times - when closing the program - but this is only after closing the program and the firmware was sucessfully uploaded to the Phatty. So really not a problem! :wink:

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Amos,

I will like to test it on a Mac (LP II and OSX 10.6 2006 first generation intel MacBook).

And thank you so much for the hard work.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 am

I'd like to test it, please. Will be updating from a Mac.

Thanks, Amos!
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:24 am

Hi Amos,

Good work on the updating! Especially the poly-chained dropped notes issue!!! :D

I would please like to test the firmware for PC (Little Phatty St. II and Slim Phatty).

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Amos,

I've been riding a dirt bike through the mountains of Baja, Mexico.

But I'm back now and would love to test the latest firmware on my Stage II Little Phatty.

I can use any kind of Mac you'd like, from a MacBook Core Duo running 10.58, a MacMini, up to the latest MacBook Pro running Mavericks.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _