categorising presets

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tomf

categorising presets

Post by tomf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 pm

is there a way to categorise the presets in the banks on the voyager? So say i'm searching for a bass i could just scroll through all basses together?

Im sure i read something similar in the manual but i can't see it now.

thanks for any help and suggestions

till

Re: categorising presets

Post by till » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:57 pm

There is no search or filter function for the categories available.
This is just a simple information when scrolling through the sounds.

From the newest manual version (3.5), page 61:
SOUND CATEGORY allows you to assign the current preset to one of 32 pre-defined sound categories. This function is intended to assist in organizing presets for quick identification when auditioning sounds. This is especially useful in conjunction with the Voyager Editor/Librarian software.
The manual is available here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minim ... nloads-tab
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

tomf

Post by tomf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Hmmmm so I can't organise my presets by category?

This seems so bizarre. In any other synth all 'bass' are together, all 'lead' are together etc

Do I have to buy the library editor to do this?

till

Post by till » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 am

Remember, that the first hardware revision of the Voyager had only 128 presets. And there was no other true analog synth with patch memory and categories on the market then.
The seven sound banks were introduced with rev. 3 hardware and software version 3.0.

The SoundTower editor is able to sort them by category.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm

If you have the latest* Voyager firmware update installed you can scroll through all the sounds in a category by pushing the two buttons under the LCD at the same time then hitting an arrow button right or left ~ check the update dox for actual key names & step-by-step method

* at least a few years old now, btw
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 am

And whatever you do, don't give any of your hard earned cash to SoundTower. They have yet to produce a reliable product.

Stephen

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Over the holidays I sat down and went through all 800+ presets, and manually categorized any that seemed promising (wrote down in a notebook) by musical function (drones, leads, bass, bells, weird piano, etc.). Also noted which were responsive to velocity and aftertouch.

Thanks for the tip though about category browse on the Voyager (without using Soundtower). I'll probably make another pass through the presets to see if I can find something to use as a launching point for a duduk-like lead tone.

tomf

Post by tomf » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:58 am

Great tip about scrolling through. I'd still like to keep all bass presets together, all leads together etc.