looking for a Psionic Soundworks Walking Stick

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
namahshaman

looking for a Psionic Soundworks Walking Stick

Post by namahshaman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I really really want to purchase a Walking Stick ribbon controller from Psionic Soundworks (to use with my Voyager). Do any of you 'foogers have any tips/connections? Does anyone know if they ever plan on producing those again?

Thanks

JohnLRice

Re: looking for a Psionic Soundworks Walking Stick

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:45 pm

His alias is chromium on Muff's forum:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm

He is a neighbor of mine. There is a plan to make a new one. I understand it to be somewhere between the old walking stick and an Appendage. ( I have the last of the original v2 walking sticks. It is NOT going anywhere! )
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Vetofwar

Post by Vetofwar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 am

Aww man, these are discontinued really?!?
Going on an adventure, don't leave home without your Walking Sticks.

chromium

Post by chromium » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Late to the thread... but yes, I do indeed have plans for another Walking Stick, and as of late last month I am actively working on the first batch. Nailing down dates is always tough for me due to other commitments, and the fact that I build and distribute them in small batches by hand, by myself - and so I tend to operate on the "it'll be where its at" schedule :D

The good news is that when I do advertise them, it means that they have already been funded, built, and they are ready to ship. Hopefully soon (Dec-Jan timeframe?), assuming I can keep the momentum.

Thanks for the interest!
Regards,
Joe

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 am

So, I'm on the list for one, aren't I, Joe?
BTW, I'm gonna be selling off a ton of stuff. You interested in the A100 and Leslie?
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Definitely interested in another green one! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

chromium

Post by chromium » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Just Me wrote:So, I'm on the list for one, aren't I, Joe?
BTW, I'm gonna be selling off a ton of stuff. You interested in the A100 and Leslie?
You bet! PIng me anytime if you are interested, and you're always welcome to come try one out when the first batch is fully baked.

I can't believe you are selling the Hammond! I'm set in that department, with my little M101/145 setup. Still love that thing, and it fits well in what little space I have.

Voltor07 wrote:Definitely interested in another green one! :mrgreen:
Hey I think I still have the rest of that green stain here :) I'll definitely offer other finishing services, beyond the walnut-esque stains. Done a few in whitewash and "piano black" finishes in the past as well.

Regards,
Joe

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 pm

chromium wrote:Late to the thread... but yes, I do indeed have plans for another Walking Stick, and as of late last month I am actively working on the first batch. Nailing down dates is always tough for me due to other commitments, and the fact that I build and distribute them in small batches by hand, by myself - and so I tend to operate on the "it'll be where its at" schedule :D
Good news! Been fantasizing about getting one to use with my Voyager.

I took a look at the manual. I see the Walking Stick can be used to trigger notes independently of the keyboard. But if I'm holding down a note on the keyboard, then I touch the Walking Stick, will the note jump to where I touched the ribbon, or will the note stay where it is until I move my finger on the ribbon?

dave500

Post by dave500 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:40 pm

I would like to get one for my LP Tribute. Let me know when they are available. :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
chromium wrote:Late to the thread... but yes, I do indeed have plans for another Walking Stick, and as of late last month I am actively working on the first batch. Nailing down dates is always tough for me due to other commitments, and the fact that I build and distribute them in small batches by hand, by myself - and so I tend to operate on the "it'll be where its at" schedule :D
Good news! Been fantasizing about getting one to use with my Voyager.

I took a look at the manual. I see the Walking Stick can be used to trigger notes independently of the keyboard. But if I'm holding down a note on the keyboard, then I touch the Walking Stick, will the note jump to where I touched the ribbon, or will the note stay where it is until I move my finger on the ribbon?
The behavior can vary depending on the synth, and how the CV inputs are integrated.

My experiences have only been with the legacy Moog products - specifically, a Model D and Multimoog. In those synths, the CV coming from the ribbon is summed with the keyboard CV.

These controllers output a positive-going CV, with 0v at the leftmost side of the ribbon. With the older Moogs mentioned above, pressing the ribbon at the 0v position will cause no change in notes, and sliding up the ribbon surface will bend the note upward (or facilitate trills and vibrato, etc...). Maybe someone here can confirm that the Voyager/Phatty functions similarly when using external CV controllers?

In previous Walking Stick versions, the pressure sensor output could double as a gate (v-trig). Another alternative with those was to just drone the synth, turn the filter cutoff all the way down until the sound disappears, and use the pressure CV to open up the filter as the ribbon is played.

As FYI- This next version I'm working on will offer ribbon CV, pressure CV, related attenuators, and a gate pushbutton with its own output. No track and hold option at this point, and so the ribbon will still respond like a stringed instrument - snapping back to the open-position when released.

I do have a controller design (Greg alluded to that above) that I may introduce in the future to add additional features like t/h and attenuverters, but for now I'm trying to keep things simple, self-contained, and cost effective. I am designing the enclosures in this next batch in a way that could support retrofitting of new controller interfaces in the future - when/if I'm able to release them (rather than be forced into replacing the entire controller).

Oh- and no more hardwired cable whips! :D

Hope this info helps!
Last edited by chromium on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Joe

chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Current build status, as depicted in my ultra high-tech woodworking shop... :D

Regards,
Joe

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 pm

That is high tech :D Especially when you work by candle light (lantern in the corner on the floor)

Is that a grizzly sander? Love that green color.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 pm

EMwhite wrote:That is high tech :D Especially when you work by candle light (lantern in the corner on the floor)
What it lacks in OSHA compliance, it makes up for in ambience!

I think the belt sander is of "Central Machinery" origin. Harbor Freight- Yay! (hey, it still works...)
Regards,
Joe

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 am

That makes it a Taiwanese belt sander trying to look like a high class Taiwanese belt sander... Clever...

Stephen