New Keybed for the Memorymoog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
megavoice

New Keybed for the Memorymoog

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:58 am

Hello Everybody,

can anybody tell me where I can get a very comfortable keybed like the P 08s have, as that of the MMs feel too swampy for my taste.
DSI confirmed now the originals are not from FATAR and they won't sell them as special parts.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Re: New Keybed for the Memorymoog

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 am

Define "swampy" ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 am

thealien666 wrote:Define "swampy" ?
Well............how can I define swampy.......

It's just like sitting down on an old sofa and "sink" down................or walking through the forrest after a heavy rain.
The best would be playing on a P 08. Then you'd know what I like most and would like to have...............
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 am

The springs shouldn't be too strong and the stop shouldn't be too hard....... I would say, "medium" and comfortable...........
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 am

I've actually played a P08 and know exactly why you would look for that kind of keyboard feel. It approaches the feel of a Minimoog D in perfect condition.

I don't know what brand of keyboard was used on the MM ? Possibly Fatar ?

It might also be a question of the condition of bushings, or damper felts that are starting to wear out on the MM ?

I don't know because the last time I played a Memorymoog was over thirty years ago in a music store ! :shock: And I really don't remember the feel of the keyboard. Although if it had been bad (like a cheap Casio) I would certainly remember that !
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:53 am

thealien666 wrote:I've actually played a P08 and know exactly why you would look for that kind of keyboard feel. It approaches the feel of a Minimoog D in perfect condition.
Kinda ! Yeah ! But far more better !!!!!
thealien666 wrote:
thealien666 wrote:I don't know what brand of keyboard was used on the MM ? Possibly Fatar ?

It might also be a question of the condition of bushings, or damper felts that are starting to wear out on the MM ?

I don't know because the last time I played a Memorymoog was over thirty years ago in a music store ! :shock: And I really don't remember the feel of the keyboard. Although if it had been bad (like a cheap Casio) I would certainly remember that !
I also played that bugger thirty years ago and it was NEW and swampy nonetheless.............I'll NEVER forget !!!
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

Wait a minute ! In another thread you wrote:

"I have a MM+ and have had about 3 P8's."

You can simply play your MM+ via MIDI on one of your P08 (if you still have them) ?

Or better yet, cannibalize a P08 to put its keyboard inside your MM+ ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:54 pm

I doubt they keyboards are interchangeable. Not only will the matrix wiring be different, the MM key is a simple SDST momentary switch and the P'08 adds velocity.

MM keyboards were made by Panasonic. They were also in OB-8, PolySix, Poly61, and others and the things are a constant maintenance headache. It's the one thing I hate about my MM and I have been looking for a suitable replacement, preferably an old Pratt-Read assembly.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 pm

That Panasonic (early conductive rubber prototype?) keyboard is also in my Korg Mono/Poly, and it had the dreaded non-conductive rubber issue, but I fixed it permanently.
I've put spacers underneath the contact PCB to bring it closer to the contacting rubber, not too much, just enough to allow a little more pressure when pressing a key. Now, even after weeks of non key action, only a few movements of each key removes the triggering hesitations.

And I know it's not as simple as removing a keyboard and putting another one, especially another brand, inside a synth. Most of the time their incompatible, matrix wise and/or contact system wise as you described. Unfortunately.
I was being a little sarcastic... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 am

thealien666 wrote:Wait a minute ! In another thread you wrote:

"I have a MM+ and have had about 3 P8's."

You can simply play your MM+ via MIDI on one of your P08 (if you still have them) ?

Or better yet, cannibalize a P08 to put its keyboard inside your MM+ ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No it wasn't me who has written this. Maybe I'm a bit crazy, but that would go too far.
But yes I'm on the start to buy an additional desktop in the next time. But I'm struggling with myself if I should wait until the NAMM to see what's comin up.

As for the the replacement keyboard that was my very first question to my thech if it's possible and he said there must be only a PCB built like there is on the original. That's it, he said. (???)
He added also that the originals are a nightmare in comparison with what he's seeing day by day.
Canibalizing is a funny idea but its too expensive for that. :lol:
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry. You were the one that started the other thread I was referring to, but it was actually analogmadness that posted that he has a MM+ and had three P08 in that thread... :oops:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 am

thealien666 wrote:Sorry. You were the one that started the other thread I was referring to, but it was actually analogmadness that posted that he has a MM+ and had three P08 in that thread... :oops:

That's absolutely NO PROBLEM :D
Noone must be ashamed for having three P 08s or s.o. who wrongly imputes the other one for having them......... :D
The other way would be if I'd be said to have DX7 or a Korg...............or..................an Ovation guitar........or.......a guitar with plastic strings......or...........a CP 70........ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ................. :lol: ..............
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:54 am

I do have 2 Korgs, a Mono/Poly and a.........DW8000....., but I like them both (the DW is particularly good at analog strings, when properly programmed, and its analog filters are as good as an SSM2044). On the other hand, I certainly don't, and wouldn't want to, have a DX7 ! :twisted:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

chromium

Post by chromium » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:50 pm

megavoice wrote:
thealien666 wrote:Define "swampy" ?
Well............how can I define swampy.......

It's just like sitting down on an old sofa and "sink" down................or walking through the forrest after a heavy rain.
The best would be playing on a P 08. Then you'd know what I like most and would like to have...............
I know what you mean about the MM keybed. I have the same unit in my OB-8. Feels kind of cheap and cheesy (IMHO) compared to the Pratt-read assembly like in my older Obie and SCI stuff.

I actually bought a five octave P-R key action with the intention of swapping the Panasonic keybed out. The DIP socket to interface the keyboard is the same, but the switching matrix in it is different... and so I'd have to rewire/re-jumper that (this one is setup for a Prophet 5). Tedious, but possible. Physically, it does fit and mount in the OB-8 just fine... not sure whether something like that might be an option for the MM? I could provide you with some measurements of the action and its mounting points if it helps.
Regards,
Joe

Goom

Post by Goom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:01 am

Hmm.. the thought of a Synthfool Opto-Key mod for the Memorymoog is making my mouth water!