Memorymoog or Prophet 12

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Memorymoog or Prophet 12

Post by thealien666 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:To muddy the waters a bit, there is a rack version of the Prophet 12 under development:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... rophet-12/
The LinnStrument, nothing new there. Its' seems like a copy of a Haken Continuum with lights...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:17 pm

thealien666 wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:To muddy the waters a bit, there is a rack version of the Prophet 12 under development:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... rophet-12/
The LinnStrument, nothing new there. Its' seems like a copy of a Haken Continuum with lights...
The LinnStrument will let you choose between note layouts (piano, guitar, 2 kinds of hex layouts) - Continuum does not. If you go to Linn's website, he lists the Continuum among instruments that he likes, as well as the Madrona Soundplane...

OTOH, Continuum now comes with a powerful built-in DSP and EaganMatrix synth, so you can play it onstage totally standalone - no computer or other synth needed. Linnstrument appears to require a USB host - probably a computer as opposed to an iConnectMIDI or Kenton USB host.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:42 pm

As they say: imitation is the sincerest form of admiration.

From Roger Linn's web site, when describing Randy Jones's Madrona Soundplane : "Randy also encourages DIYers to create their own force-sensitive multi-touch surface and provides helpful information for doing so."
So, now we know where Roger took the idea for the LinnStrument... I don't think Randy meant that you could build yourself such a device and sell it commercially ? :roll:
Last edited by thealien666 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 pm

thealien666 wrote:As they say: imitation is the sincerest form of admiration.
If I had money to burn, I'd get both a half-size Continuum and a Linnstrument.

As I said, the Continuum has only one note layout and you cannot switch to a guitar layout or hex layout.

Unless I find proof of Roger Linn being an evil person - or it costs as much as a Soundplane, I'll probably get Linnstrument at some point in the near future. I've wanted an isomorphic keyboard of some sort for years.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 pm

unfiltered37 wrote: My opinion is that limitation and simplicity is a good thing with respect to art and especially music, so why not limit yourself to the very best of the best, which is analog, I hope we can all agree.
Golden words!
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3