Minitaur Rev 2

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Voltor07

Re: Minitaur Rev 2

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:15 am

secmast wrote: I disagree with that, the software is not for free, it is mandatory as under the hood are with no use without the software.
Also you need to be registered to get the software, meaning you need to pay for the MT before getting access to the DL.
Then the software is part of the hardware and therefore not for free.
What Amos means, is that to document all the tips and hints that he's listed would cost time and therefore money. The software was written, which also takes time. I believe that Amos himself wrote the code, and if that is indeed the case, he was paid for the time he put in writing that code. Let's say Amos makes $50 an hour for writing code, and it took him 50 hours to create the editor. That would mean that it cost $2500 to make the editor. Since the editor is a FREE download, even though you need to BUY the Minitaur, you do NOT have to pay towards the $2500 that was spent on the editor. That makes the editor free. Moog is a small company, with a handful of employees. They don't often give away software that costs money to develop. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

secmast

Post by secmast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:27 am

Voltor07 wrote: What Amos means, is that to document all the tips and hints that he's listed would cost time and therefore money. The software was written, which also takes time. I believe that Amos himself wrote the code, and if that is indeed the case, he was paid for the time he put in writing that code. Let's say Amos makes $50 an hour for writing code, and it took him 50 hours to create the editor. That would mean that it cost $2500 to make the editor. Since the editor is a FREE download, even though you need to BUY the Minitaur, you do NOT have to pay towards the $2500 that was spent on the editor. That makes the editor free. Moog is a small company, with a handful of employees. They don't often give away software that costs money to develop. :wink:
I still disagree with you and the fact it is presented as a "give away".
MT editor is mandatory to get access to the "under the hood" fonction, therefore the software as the be delivered with the unit.
I understand the cost, but this is why marketing have to calculate the hardware and software cost before production.
By the way, the software is not FREE download you need to register your Mt before having access to the DL section.
I'm not asking for perfection, but actually there is bugs left on it and must be corrected, like saved patch in the box where there is a numbering/naming problem when loading saved patch, crashing software and MT hangs.
There is also mistakes that needs to be corrected, like path of saved patch where they are not under user directory but software directory.

The actual status of the Minitaur is do not use it on stage, stability is not there, software still needed.
I personally looking for something to replace the Minitaur until I get something I have confidence in it. Which will cost me more than planned.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:39 pm

I used my minitaur just fine without the free software on stage no problem. I also use it with the rev 2 update on stage. Works as advertised for me and I'm a complete mididiot and a drummer (hahaha) :lol: I look at the new features as a freebee because they were not part of the deal when I pre-ordered the unit. So A big thanks to Moog Music and Amos as far as I'm concerned.

andrzejmikosz

Post by andrzejmikosz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Yeah, but as they had come up with such great ideas like presets, and additional editing thru the software it got me really hungry. the real problem it's hard to say when they'll come up with an update. I would seriously consider to pay for the editor if it would guarantee a flawless work with the unit.

zky

Post by zky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am

Hello guys

Sorry if I'm asking a noob question but I need to be 100% sure on this

Wan to to buy a minitaur,,

I do have a computer at my studio.. But I produce and perform with hardware only..

Question is:

Does the minitaur accept program change from a hardware sequencer? Like from a MPC or Octatrack WITHOUT the need of a computer hooked to it on stage?

Thanks

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 am

Hi, i didn't try it, but from many people it looks like it works good. If someone can confirm ?

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

zky wrote:Hello guys

Sorry if I'm asking a noob question but I need to be 100% sure on this

Wan to to buy a minitaur,,

I do have a computer at my studio.. But I produce and perform with hardware only..

Question is:

Does the minitaur accept program change from a hardware sequencer? Like from a MPC or Octatrack WITHOUT the need of a computer hooked to it on stage?

Thanks
Under the current "offical" release, unfortunately the answer is no.
You can move through presets via the front panel controls, but not via MIDI program change.
Most of the other control parameters ARE MIDI-enabled, so you could still have a lot of options using a programmable MIDI controller.

Without a computer attached, the Minitaur is practically "old school" ~
Which is still cool, IMHO... :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

wax808

Post by wax808 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Yes it works. I send CC-s with my MPC1000 and iPad all the time to change channels. Works perfectly.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 am

wax808 wrote:Yes it works. I send CC-s with my MPC1000 and iPad all the time to change channels. Works perfectly.
Cool - glad that has been implemented in one of the recent OS updates!

Which version of the OS are you running?
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

renzo

Post by renzo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 am

Hello there,

An alternative is so have a keyboard which you can enslave to send CC, like the Alesis QX25...
Yet another is to get a little knobs and sliders midi device like the Korg nanoKontrol2... problem wih the Korg is that it does not have 5din midi plug, so you have to either go through a computer (I am thinkinv about putting a blackberry Pi) or a Kenton Usb Host box.

Hope that helps.
Laurent

fernandorealcisneros

Post by fernandorealcisneros » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 am

Hi.

In the documentation for to save the current panel settings to Preset #23 says we must send the following sysex message:
"$F0 $04 $08 $06 $07 $17 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $F7". I'm trying to send with a midi controller (BCR2000) and do not get to save the preset.
I also tried with the "$F0 $04 $06 $07 $17 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $00 $F7" chain and still not working. Should we send some more additional message?

Thanks, a greeting