Sync in Logic

Everything Phatty.
woodfoot

Sync in Logic

Post by woodfoot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

My sub phatty is hopelessly out of sync in logic and it's driving me up the wall. Can some one tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

I have it connected via USB. I'm running the AU version of the plugin on Logic 9 on OSX 10.6
I have midi clock being sent from logic to the sub phatty and i'm inputting notes from the AU track in logic. Though it's the same with a midi track.

If I play notes on another keyboard there's no latency but as soon as i play what ive recorded out of logic it's out of sync and the notes start before they should. If I record it in and move it. some of the notes are still slightly out so there's definitely some sync issue.

I am listening via my RME interface as it gives me zero latency so it's nothing to with latency within logic. The amount they are out when recorded matches what I'm hearing.

Am I missing something here?

bconvey

Re: Sync in Logic

Post by bconvey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:41 am

Hi . Im having issues with my sub phatty in logic as well. In my case i think it's something wrong with logic though. I find that if i start playback with a track other than the subphatty selected it plays out of sync. If i have the sub phatty selected then it's in sync. very weird. The editor is constantly crashing logic as well, i dunno if this has been addressed all ready with an update, I haven't checked back since i downloaded it.

absentmusic1

Post by absentmusic1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:33 pm

I havent a sub phatty.
But have the same problem in Logic 9 and X
with slim Phatty and AU Editor and DSI Tetra with Editor.
Have to select the Track.
If not the editors from each are out of sync.
There are several problems with Logic and external midi.
In this Video i made a little setup last night with Minitaur, slim phatty, Tetra and other gear sequented with
Maschine.
http://youtu.be/zMdCNq0NPrk
Got this Setup to work without any problems.
In about 5 minutes.
It works, every time i open up Maschine.
I can loop, record, trigger every synthie etc.
Tried to do this in Logic for the last year.
And never came close.
Synth crashes, stucking notes, out of time and so on.
Tried this with Maschine and without logic last week, and was so facinated that i made this Video.
If i tried this with logic, i think its impossible without crasching of synths every second trie or stoping logic
to fix something before you switch to the next synth.
In my Video is a very easy piece of music, but to controll everything on the fly without problems was great.
The last year i was not sure if the problems caused by Logic or the synths/ editors
But since i tried this with Maschine, im sure the Hardware is fine.
All problems (or most) are caused by Logic

woodfoot

Post by woodfoot » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Seems its a big problem.

I found some instructions regarding setting up an instrument in the logic environment and it seemed to work briefly but it's still well out of sync.

Even with the delay notes up full it still plays out of sync. Without the delay, at 174 bpm it plays the notes about an 8th note early!

Does anyone have a solution for this?

dhocks76

Post by dhocks76 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 pm

woodfoot

Post by woodfoot » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I posted this on Gearslutz and someone gave me a solution which fixed the issue. For anyone having trouble, here's what worked for me:
  • 1. Go into the environment, in the top left corner there is a menu. Choose 'MIDI instr.'

2. To the right of that there is a menu name 'New' choose 'Instrument' from that list. You should see an icon named instrument appear in the main window.

3. Click that icon and some controls should appear in the inspector on the left. Rename it from 'Instrument' to whatever your synth is named. Then click next to where it says port [second one down] and select the synth you are using. [in my case it had 'Moog sub phatty' as I'm using USB but the ports for your MIDI interface should also be there so click the relevant one] Remember what you clicked as you will need it later.

4. Now go to the arrange window and make a new software instrument as if you are using a soft synth. Click where you would usually choose an instrument plugin. In that list there is a plugin called 'External Instrument' [it should be just below the exs24 sampler and above the klopfgeist]

5. When the plugin opens there are 2 menus. The top one says 'MIDI destination' Click that and you should see a few menus. One should say 'MIDI instruments' and in there you should be able to click the instrument you created in the environment.

6. The menu below that says 'input' so choose whichever input your synth is using on your audio interface. Turn off any other monitoring you may have previously had for your synth.

7. Now go to Project settings > Synchronisation > MIDI and click where it says 'Transmit MIDI clock' There should be 2 dropdown menus for destinations. Click one and in there choose the same synth you used above in part 3. Make sure you are only using one destination for your synth here.

You should now be able to play and record in sync
For my Sub Phatty I also run another track for the plugin where I record all my automation. I saved all this into my template so it loads up ready to go when I make a new project

Hope that helps