Unexpected Bonus to Getting SubPhatty

Everything Sub.
brento

Unexpected Bonus to Getting SubPhatty

Post by brento » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 am

I mean, I love the actual sound that the Sub Phatty makes... Don't get me wrong... But silly me... I've discovered something so amazing about this machine. I'm basically using it as a controller for other virtual synths, such as Sylenth. It's has opened a whole new world of opportunities to me. I just figured this out tonight, although I sort of knew about it, I had never actually tried it out. I gotta say this is going to change everything for my music production. Wow... What an unexpected bonus this is!

I guess I just love the layout of the knobs and everything. Other synths I've tried do not really compare. The Sub Phatty is just so nice as it has sort of reintroduced the fun back into music making. Before I was just using a mouse, clicking things... No fun really. But now the fun is back due to the human user interactive aspect... Just thought I'd share my latest joy with this synth. :D

stiiiiiiive

Re: Unexpected Bonus to Getting SubPhatty

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:50 am

Welcome on board Brento :)

Playing a musical instrument is not only a matter of ear, it also involves touch. Consequently when you act on the instrument, you can hear changes and act backto stress/compensate them. This complex mechanism involves kind of a feedback which is blured if not suppressed with computers.
Interesting fact: that's precisely what makes playing the Theremin such a singular experience.

I'm just refering to a very interesting reading I had once on the internet. Can't remember what and who and where though.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 pm

A related unexpected bonus was that the filter knob on the SubP auto-maps to the filter on U-he Diva. 8)

brento

Post by brento » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 am

barryfell wrote:A related unexpected bonus was that the filter knob on the SubP auto-maps to the filter on U-he Diva. 8)
I am very close to buying the Diva. She's a great synth & u-he is a company I support. Just need a faster computer for that CPU drain!

JohnWynberg

Post by JohnWynberg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 am

One of my main reasons for buying the SubPhatty (against the MiniBrute and the Korg MS-20 Mini) was precisely that I could use it as a MIDI controller. (At the time, it was difficult for me to tell the difference in terms of sound, just watching videos on the Internet). An expensive controller, I know, but with such a style… It's such a beauty, such a pleasure to play… And, of course, then I discovered its amazing sound quality… Playing the SubPhatty through MakeNoise's Phonogene, I can loose myself for hours... But back to the MIDI functionality, yes, many controls are already rightly mapped, matching many virtual synths… But even if they don't, it's pretty easy to do (at least in Logic Pro X).