Sub Phatty Dubstep Bass Wobble

Everything Sub.
Moogus

Sub Phatty Dubstep Bass Wobble

Post by Moogus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi guys

I know this has been covered on other posts relevant to other Phatties and is now a bit passé, but has anyone managed to get a great Dubstep bass wobble with the sub phatty ?? How have you done it ??

The Korg Electribe MX has some great examples of a bass wobble, but somehow I think the Sub Phatty should be able to blow it out of the water. I just haven't figured it out yet.
I want to be able sync wobble to rate too!

Any tips ??

:D
A nearly has been...

robml

Re: Sub Phatty Dubstep Bass Wobble

Post by robml » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm

i was going to post some presets, but im short on time. ;(

heres a rough guide with a good tip at the end
start with a nice simple bass sound you like
set your modulation lfo to triange and FILTER AMT to 10, MOD wheel to fully up
set your filter cutoff to 320hz

at this point you should hear the wobble

now set filter envelope parameters to the following:
ATTACK 0, DECAY 0, SUSTAIN 10, RELEASE 0
heres the fun bit - when you turn EG AMOUNT back down from 0 towards -5 you will hear the sharpness of the cuttoff increase as the negative envelope is applied to the filter cutoff
this method give a much nicer sound than simply turning the filter cutoff down further and leaves more of the highs in there.

if you turn on LFO MIDI SYNC in the under the hood section of the app you can tempo match the LFO to your host app

EDIT: heres another tip: instead of using the modulation lfo to sweep the filter cutoff, you could use your DAW to do it. ie, i use ableton live to automate the filter (with a sine wave) AND the volume at the same time. this will give you much sharper sounding dubstep sweeps (wobble). but is is more complicated to set up.

cheers

cheers

Moogus

Post by Moogus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

That's great thanks for the steps. Worked out a nice sound.

Shame there is now way of syncing LFO rate to mod or pitch wheel without DAW. If there is I haven't worked it out.

For me using ramp wave (reversed saw) works best for the wobble. This gives a nice cut-off rather than using volume. Of course depends on desired effect. A triangle wave gives smooth wobble, works nice for clean or slight distorted bass.

My Mac system so old doesn't work with editor, unfortunately I have to use under-the-hood feature via hardware.

M
A nearly has been...

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 pm

patch a wobbly LFO into the filter thru the cv input
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 pm

I like to modulate the pitch of OSC 2, while hard-sync'd.

jasonduerr

Post by jasonduerr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 am

Traditionally, you set LFO to filter, and assign the LFO to the mod wheel.
In general, for any synth.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:40 pm

From time to time I like to play with some colleagues in a JAM-like music creation. The results are very good at some of them.......

The last one was put together by me, with a dubstep-like beat.
I've used just the Sub Phatty to make it and the results were very good. I've used external effects with a few tracks, but you can get the overall sound of the Sub.

Here's the result: https://soundcloud.com/synthway/dub-jamming

I wanted to share this to show the initial wobble bass. It was played real-time, recording only MIDI notes. When I was doing this I discovered that the Sub have a great under the hood parameter, wich is LFO Keytrack, and this is how I achieved it... playing higher notes got me faster LFO. Add some glide to it and you're there! To me, a great wobble bass.

:)

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

steele_the_city

Post by steele_the_city » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 pm

I recently got a pre-release of the Sub-37 editor, I ran my sub37 into my DAW automating the waveform of both oscillators, on top of that I used a signal chain I had previously created to be used on top of an instance of FM8. This signal chain incorporates eq and distortion automation being used to make a Reese style bass sound. All of the automated parameters were mapped to a single knob. After laying out a simple bass line I automated this knob. The results were amazing I have never experienced anything like it. The best part is if you have a controller you can play the patch and control the automation on the fly. If anyone owns a USB hot hand and a Moog It could make for an amazing setup.