Using MP-201 CV outputs to control an EHX Polyphase pedal?

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
jtopham

Using MP-201 CV outputs to control an EHX Polyphase pedal?

Post by jtopham » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 pm

I have been trying to use my MP-201 CV outputs to control an EHX Polyphase pedal. The manual of the pedal suggests this is possible:

"Connect this ¼” stereo jack to your expression pedal. The expression pedal must have a connection for a TRS cable, stereo ¼”. You cannot use a volume pedal. We recommend the following expression pedals: M-Audio EX-P,Moog Expression Pedal, and Roland EV-5. You may also connect a Control Voltage, from a synthesizer for example, to the Exp. Pedal Jack. The Control Voltage must be between 0V~5V."

However, the result is not satisfactory, although using my Moog EP-2 expression pedal works fine with the Polyphase. My MP-201 also works fine into a Moogerfooger pedal for example as one would expect.

Research in the internet shows that EHX make their own Control Voltage modifier called Tweaker's Delight. The manual says the following:

"The 8-STEP’s sequence is output through this jack. When connecting to the Expression input on an external pedal or other device, normally you will want to connect the TRS cable that came supplied with the 8-STEP to the 8-STEP’s EXP/CV jack. If you are connecting the 8-STEP to a CV input, use a standard ¼" mono/TS instrument cable instead, the same type of cable you would plug into a guitar"

I was wondering whether the problem is that I was only using a TS cable as the above suggests that Expression inputs (such as the one on the Polyphase) require you to use a TRS cable. The Polyphase manual doesn't cover the type of cable to use. My question is would it be safe to run a TRS cable between the MP-201 and the Polyphase?