How to convert CV to MIDI?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Ryan0751

How to convert CV to MIDI?

Post by Ryan0751 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I just got my etherwave plus and slim phatty. Neat neat neat devices, and my first analog synths.

I'm thinking of some wild things to do using the CV output of the theremin... like controlling lighting and visuals... but information seems scarce on converting CV to MIDI values. Can anyone recommend a solution? Does Moog produce one?

SteveD

Re: How to convert CV to MIDI?

Post by SteveD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:09 am

Have you looked into pd or Max/MSP? both of those programs are modular DSP/MIDI programming environments that have objects for measuring pitch and amplitude.
Because the theremin is a monophonic audio signal w/ a simple waveform, it's really easy to extract MIDI data directly from the audio.

Did I mention pd is open source/free to use?
here's a link to a CDM blog article from 2008 about this:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/08/h ... e-with-pd/

Cheers,
SD

Ryan0751

Post by Ryan0751 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I've heard of it for sure but never used it... looks like exactly what I am looking for!

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:03 am

"The mouth" by native instruments also works.
It tracks incoming pitch and converts it to midi.

matveimediaarts

Post by matveimediaarts » Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm

the Sonuus G2M should be capable of doing this. I haven't got it to work yet, but I'll keep trying!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

matveimediaarts wrote:The Sonuus G2M should be capable of doing this.
I haven't got it to work yet, but I'll keep trying!
It really does work. It's the most fun you can add
to any theremin for under $100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaNlcXuGmI
(Theremin to G2M starts at 3:39.)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

makers

Post by makers » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm looking into this too. I want to have Etherwave Plus CV converted to MIDI Continuous Controllers for lighting, effects, VJ apps- all possibilities for the best gestural control of all time.

I've done the Max/MSP patch a long time ago with a standard Etherwave. This requires audio in- not the CV available with Etherwave Plus You need an object called Fiddle for pitch detection. It warks great for standard controller applications but generating meaningful MIDI note on/off data is more complicated.

I'm interested in a hardware only solution wthout a computer. So, using Etherwave Pro CV outputs would require a CV to MIDI converter. These are much less common than MIDI to CV converters. Most contemporary CV to MIDI converters are in a Eurorack modular format. Analog Solutions, Analog Systems and Doepfer all make some variation. Analog Solutions and Doepfer are only designed for +5 volts. The Etherwave Plus can output as much as +10 volts and also generate a negative voltage. Analog Systems RS 300 looks to be by far the most comprehensive and can be set up for a wide range of voltages.

Another solution is to use the Expression Pedal input on a synth or MIDI controller. It gets complicated because most of these pedal inputs are designed for a TRS cable with the synth providing the power for the pedal. Because of this, I believe, not all expression pedal inputs are going to be happy with CV on a standard TS cable. It is also rare to see two chanels of expression pedal inputs on one controller. Supposedly the Voyager Mod1 and Mod2 inputs will output MIDI and they are apparently safe beyond +5 volts. Another possible candidate is the old Peavey 1600x MIDI controller with 2 pedal inputs- the manual states that they will handle +10 volts. I'm currently sniffing out the two pedal inputs on my DSI Tempest but I am nervous about plugging in!

Third solution are MIDI "brain" boards by Doepfer and PAiA. These are strictly for +5 volts and seemingly would require voltage attenuation if used with Etherwave Plus

I'll post more as I found out what I've been able to do.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 pm

You might look at the Moon Modular 552 cv>midi module in MU, also.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Gith

Post by Gith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Dont know whether this would be suitable but to dispense with a computer entirely you could look in to Analogue Systems CV to Midi converter.. its made for eurorack so youd need a mini case.. you can do funky things with CVs with this box.. I have a large Analogue Systems Modular, but this is one of the few modules of theres I dont have.. get the pdf from their site and see if its suitable..

Hope this helps..

Aaron.
[url]https://soundcloud.com/subliminalsandwich/sets/codex-provocateur[/url]

feelingfaceform

Post by feelingfaceform » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:28 pm

I´ll get my first theremin this month. I´m really excited and looking forward to it.
Interested here also for the same reason. Want to control lights and projection, through isadora/troikatronix software. If you dont know it, its a cool software for interactive stuff, inspired by analog synthesizers: www.troikatronix.com
So i need cv to midi or cv to osc.
I found this:http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
Do I need a hardware then?
I have the sonuus app on the iPad and it doesnt work for me (on the violin),...maybe it will work better with the theremin.
So keep me updated, if you find some good solution.

Cheers,
Alex

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Here's a surprisingly low-cost solution for MIDI -> CV and CV -> MIDI

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QuNexus

Although its primary function is to be a portable USB keyboard with
polyphonic aftertouch, per-key tilt sensitivity, and per-key PitchBend,
it also has MIDI In/Out and multiple CV In/Out, which can be used as
a converter in either direction.

Here's a vid of it being used with Animoog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0iasmzBkdE
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 am

This is one of the first thing I did when I got my Etherwave Plus a few years back.

Albeit expensive (there's always e-bay), the Roland FC-300 foot controller will do that for you .... times 3, that means it will midify both your volume and pitch cv from the Etherwave and leave you with an extra cv-to-midi channel. Simple TS patch cables work fine.

You can program any CC suported by the FC-300. You can set "heel" and "toe" (min and max) value from 0 to 127 (no 14 bits midi here).

It probably processes only 5 volts worth of the Etherwave voltage range, but I never had a problem with that.

In fact... cv-to-midi was the main reason I purchased the FC-300 (brand new for $200) and it has proved invaluable over the years.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Portamental wrote:This is one of the first thing I did when I got my Etherwave Plus a few years back.

Albeit expensive (there's always e-bay), the Roland FC-300 foot controller will do that for you .... times 3, that means it will midify both your volume and pitch cv from the Etherwave and leave you with an extra cv-to-midi channel. Simple TS patch cables work fine.

You can program any CC suported by the FC-300. You can set "heel" and "toe" (min and max) value from 0 to 127 (no 14 bits midi here).

It probably processes only 5 volts worth of the Etherwave voltage range, but I never had a problem with that.

In fact... cv-to-midi was the main reason I purchased the FC-300 (brand new for $200) and it has proved invaluable over the years.
Will another Roland controller be able to do this? Or another guitar foot controller (from any brand)?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

bichuelo wrote: Will another Roland controller be able to do this? Or another guitar foot controller (from any brand)?
Well the Roland PK-6 will do that... 1 channel only and it's $900 (cough, cough), but it does other things too ;) I do have a PK-6 but I never used it in that fashion.

Now seriously, there is another midi foot controller that will do it (2 channels). It's the Behringer FC-2020 (I think). I came this close to snatch one on kijiji for $75 but someone was quicker than me. At $149 brand new, it seems to me like a very good option.

I love Behringer controllers. I most often use the FC-300 plugged into the Midi-In of a Behringer BCR-2000. It does not change the functionality of the FC-300 but it is nice to see the little LED ring show the midi activity and values being sent. It also adds functionality to the midi line at the tip of a finger.

Most midi controllers with an expression pedal input should also work. There probably are a number of them out there.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:17 pm

That would be the Behringer FCB-1010.

Stephen