Voyager tuning: OSC1 range not sufficient

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SamTheMan

Voyager tuning: OSC1 range not sufficient

Post by SamTheMan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:20 am

Hi,
I a Voyager electric blue and I have been tuning OSC1 because its out of tune in octaves. One semitone / octave. Im able to tune all low E´s ( 32´ 16´ 8´ 4´ 2´ 1´) but if I hit middle E or high E, its out of tune. If I try to adjust RT2 for range, the pot will run out of adjustment before Im able to reach the high E. So far no help from MOOG support... After 6 months I would love to have that OSC back in business, so any ideas folks?

I followed these instructions from "gearslutz"-forum:
"Voyager Tuning Info, Julian Worskett May 31st 2011

30 mins warm up then set master tune to centre position Check PSU output is 15.00Vdc on +15V bus In Edit menu select “Init. Defaults”
Set Pitch Bend amount to Off on both + and - directions.
DONT touch VCO2/3 tuning controls from now on – they have been set at centre by “init default” command.

OSC1
PLAY LOW E at 8’ (8 ft DEFAULT from INIT PARAMETERS) ADJUST RT2 RANGE SET OCTAVE TO 2’
ADJUST RT1 SCALE
BACK TO 8’
ADJUST RT2 RANGE
ADJUST RP11 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
Set octave back to 8’

PLAY HIGH E
ADJUST RP9 KBTRACK
PLAY LOW E, readjust RT2 RANGE if necessary

OSC2
PLAY LOW E at 8’
ADJUST RT4 RANGE
SET OCTAVE TO 2’
ADJUST RT3 SCALE
BACK TO 8’
ADJUST RT4 RANGE
ADJUST RP20 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
Set octave back to 8’

PLAY HIGH E
ADJUST RP21 KBTRACK
PLAY LOW E, readjust RT4 RANGE if necessary

OSC3
PLAY LOW E at 8’
ADJUST RT6 RANGE
SET OCTAVE TO 2’
ADJUST RT5 SCALE
BACK TO 8’
ADJUST RT6 RANGE
ADJUST RP14 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
Set octave back to 8’

PLAY HIGH E
ADJUST RP16 KBTRACK
PLAY LOW E, readjust RT6 RANGE if necessary

RTs are multiturn, RPs are single turn pots Bottom E on 8ft = 164.8 Hz Top E on 8ft = 659.2 Hz"

SamTheMan

Re: Voyager tuning: OSC1 range not sufficient

Post by SamTheMan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 am

Moog had the worst support ever. Luckily I finally found a local Roland analog synth guru via local Moog importer and he just changed the trim pot for a wider range: success. After all, how easy fix was that?

Now it works but maybe I go for something else...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 am

Scaling on most osc is a back and forth affair, not a turn a pot once to range. Play the initial note and tune it with tuning pot. Play the ocatves above and adjust scaling pot in the direction needed. Go back to initial note and readjust tuning with tuning pot. Play the octaves above and turn scaling in the direction needed. Keep doing this until it is scaled.
Yep, it is tedious and even counter intuitive. But that is how I was taught on my modular osc.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

slirak

Post by slirak » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Just Me wrote:Scaling on most osc is a back and forth affair, not a turn a pot once to range. Play the initial note and tune it with tuning pot. Play the ocatves above and adjust scaling pot in the direction needed. Go back to initial note and readjust tuning with tuning pot. Play the octaves above and turn scaling in the direction needed. Keep doing this until it is scaled.
Yep, it is tedious and even counter intuitive. But that is how I was taught on my modular osc.
Yeah. When I bought an MFB Microzwerg, the scaling of both oscillators was way off. I mailed MFB and Manfred himself replied promptly, outlining the procedure, which was basically what you describe. Tedious, but I did get it right, eventually. And not as tedious as when I decided to tune up an old Acetone organ's twelve oscillators... :roll:

---edit---
I just realized that this is basically how you intonate a guitar or bass too, though your 'scaling pots' are the string length adjustment screws on the bridge saddle. Makes sense when you think of it.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm

SamTheMan wrote:Moog had the worst support ever.
Remember to have your first cup of coffee before posting... Otherwise you end up looking like a sniveling dork.

Jes saying...

Stephen

SamTheMan

Post by SamTheMan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 am

I have tuned oscillators before and this was not a new situation for me. I did just like you described and eved tried to tune the OSC one octave up or down to check if there would be a change in the scaling range. I even tried if the OCS's are affecting to each other. When I could get it in tune, I took it to a local model-D-old-school wizard. He confirmed me that the pot range really was not sufficient. He got no support from Moog. I took the Moog for the official importer and their outsourced tech guy changed the pot, without any support.

Does the trim pot change affect to the OSC temp control?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 am

This is a lot of bull, in my humble opinion...

Simply the fact that you got no reply from the Moog support team, which is usually very friendly and helpful, makes me believe you are full of it. :roll:

This trimpot replacement for a "wider range" one is simply ridiculous.

As if Bob and the Moog engineers would have made an error in their calculations of the values of trimpots when designing the analog board ? Common !

Why do thousands of other Voyagers don't suffer the same problem as yours then ??

I think you came here just to bleep on Moog Music inc for no reason. Go away internet troll.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

SamTheMan

Post by SamTheMan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:59 am

As if Bob and the Moog engineers would have made an error in their calculations of the values of trimpots when designing the analog board ? Common !
Of course not. "Common !". I just want to know if the repair was ok and would love to know what the **** caused it and if there is a misfunctioning component that has been the main problem. And what comes to support, yes, Im kind of pissed because there aint no support, but thats just business. Thanks for your "humble" opinion :lol:

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Saying that "Moog has the worst support ever" vs. "I didn't get the support I wanted" is the difference between a "sniveling dork" (tm) and a man who is willing to own up to the reality of the problem at hand.

You want help on this forum? Try toning down your lower nature and speak like you're among friends. Otherwise it might not work in your favour.

The rest of us here (at least an overwhelming majority) have experienced Moog support to be among the best in the business. That's not an easy thing to accomplish in this day and age.

Stephen

RL

Post by RL » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm

BTW....
this procedure is wrong:
* OSC1
* PLAY LOW E at 8’ (8 ft DEFAULT from INIT PARAMETERS) ADJUST RT2 RANGE SET OCTAVE TO 2’
* ADJUST RT1 SCALE
* BACK TO 8’
* ADJUST RT2 RANGE
* ADJUST RP11 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
* Set octave back to 8’
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

SamTheMan

Post by SamTheMan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 am

RL wrote:BTW....
this procedure is wrong:
* ADJUST RT2 RANGE
Thats true: it should be RP9. I have to check what instructions the technicians have followed. Big thanks! :D

RL

Post by RL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:52 am

This is the right procedure:

1.) Set the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE Switch to 8’. Depress and release the lowest E key. Adjust Oscillator 1 Range (RT2) so the pitch is exactly the E below middle C (E3) (that is, the tuner pattern stands still).

2.) Turn the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 32’. Adjust Oscillator 1 Scale (RT1) so the pitch is exactly three E’s below middle C (E1).

3.) Repeat Steps (1) and (2) once or twice.

4.) Turn the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 1’. Adjust Oscillator 1 Hi (RP11) so the pitch is exactly three E’s above middle C (E7).

5.) Repeat steps (1), (2), and (4) once or twice.

6.) Set the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 8’. Reset Oscillator 1 Range so the pitch is exactly the E below middle C.

7.) Depress the highest E on the keyboard. Adjust Oscillator 1 Kbd (RP9) so the pitch is exactly two E’s above middle C (E5).

8.) Look at the output waveform on the scope. Also, listen to it carefully. Set Oscillator 1 Wave (RP13) so the waveform has the smallest glitch at the top, and the waveform sounds least buzzy.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Rudi,

Can this procedure be applied to OSC 2 & 3 respectively?

Thanks,
Nik
RL wrote:This is the right procedure:

1.) Set the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE Switch to 8’. Depress and release the lowest E key. Adjust Oscillator 1 Range (RT2) so the pitch is exactly the E below middle C (E3) (that is, the tuner pattern stands still).

2.) Turn the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 32’. Adjust Oscillator 1 Scale (RT1) so the pitch is exactly three E’s below middle C (E1).

3.) Repeat Steps (1) and (2) once or twice.

4.) Turn the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 1’. Adjust Oscillator 1 Hi (RP11) so the pitch is exactly three E’s above middle C (E7).

5.) Repeat steps (1), (2), and (4) once or twice.

6.) Set the OSCILLATOR 1 OCTAVE switch to 8’. Reset Oscillator 1 Range so the pitch is exactly the E below middle C.

7.) Depress the highest E on the keyboard. Adjust Oscillator 1 Kbd (RP9) so the pitch is exactly two E’s above middle C (E5).

8.) Look at the output waveform on the scope. Also, listen to it carefully. Set Oscillator 1 Wave (RP13) so the waveform has the smallest glitch at the top, and the waveform sounds least buzzy.
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

RL

Post by RL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Nik,
yes. Here are the corresponding pots:
Osc 1 Range: RT2, Osc 2 Range: RT4, Osc 3 Range: RT6
Osc 1 Scale: RT1, Osc 2 Scale: RT3, Osc 3 Scale: RT5
Osc 1 HI: RP11, Osc 2 HI: RP20, Osc 3 HI: RP14
Osc 1 Kbd: RP9, Osc 2 Kbd: RP21, Osc 3 Kbd: RP16
Osc 1 Wave: RP13, Osc 2 Wave: RP12, Osc 3 Wave: RP15

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks Rudi,

Its that time of the month/year again where I need to tune my EB. In the past I used the procedure mentioned in the beginning of this thread but the tracking would not stay consistent for long.
I will tune it this weekend using your instructions.

Thanks again!
Nik
RL wrote:Hi Nik,
yes. Here are the corresponding pots:
Osc 1 Range: RT2, Osc 2 Range: RT4, Osc 3 Range: RT6
Osc 1 Scale: RT1, Osc 2 Scale: RT3, Osc 3 Scale: RT5
Osc 1 HI: RP11, Osc 2 HI: RP20, Osc 3 HI: RP14
Osc 1 Kbd: RP9, Osc 2 Kbd: RP21, Osc 3 Kbd: RP16
Osc 1 Wave: RP13, Osc 2 Wave: RP12, Osc 3 Wave: RP15
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-