Sub Phatty Firmware & Editor

Everything Sub.
red

Re: Sub Phatty Firmware & Editor

Post by red » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 am

The waiting is over!
All is working fine - installing the Firmware & Editor was easy and flawless... Thanks :-)
::red

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

JemenJ wrote:Word!

I cant but to think that this is a yet another example of rushed product release. Let the consumers pay big money for cripled synth. Beta testing should be dealt with before releasing new products to the market! Why we have a Little Phatty Stage II.... Why there are so many first versions of Little Phatty on the second hand market...? Must be a major harware desing flaw that could not be fixed by just updating firmware?

I'm waiting for Sub Phatty Stage II. Maby then the beta testing is over.
It is, sadly, industry standard. Always good to wait at least a year or two when a product is released; unless, you just have to have it.

The hardware difference between the stage 1 and 2 is the USB in and a separate processor from the main processor that handles midi (usb and DIN). The hanging note issue from certain midi sources with the stage 2 and slims has to do with the firmware that the 2nd processor runs. I have not heard of the issue occurring with stage 1 or tribute ed. So, the improvement remains a weakness for some users till the new firmware for the 2nd processor is made public. It was posted on here by amos for the slim, but is not on the moogmusic site for either the slim or stage 2. Now, that the stage 2 has been discontinued who knows.

dswo

Post by dswo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:31 pm

JemenJ wrote:Let the consumers pay big money for cripled synth. Beta testing should be dealt with before releasing new products to the market!
I've had the Sub Phatty since April; I would hardly have called it crippled even then. I did not participate in the editor beta, but I'm grateful to those who did.
David Wilson-Okamura

bandmasta

Post by bandmasta » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Still, My SP stops working frequently.

Ableton live 9 sends midi notes-> I move knobs on SP-> hanging note-> have to turn off and on.

I use mac. Am I the only one experiences this problem?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Here is the tread with the USB processor firmware for the slim.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... =75#p93748

Contact moog support if you want to check for a newer edition. Best results have been from windows machines, but worth a try from your mac if use of your slim is crippled.

agreenberg19

Post by agreenberg19 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:11 pm

MuzzFuzz wrote:Hi All,

I agree with jjlucas76.

I personally don't mind beta testing the firmware updates as they become available. I've owned my SubP since early May and I bought it purely on the strength of Amos' NAMM demo video. The firmware in the synth he had for that demo was probably at a guess 1.03 or something and I certainly didn't see or hear anything that gave me any pause.

I'm really enjoying contributing to the forum and watching the synth grow. I think it's maturing nicely and personally I feel it is certainly more usable now than it was out of the box. (Implementation of sustain pedal response and the adjustment to the response of the knobs have been the two biggest improvements for my work.)

I agree with jjlucas76's comments about how difficult it is to keep track of current status.

I have kept all the firmware files I've downloaded and made a little document to note what I installed and when. Without functional software I'm pretty sure it's impossible to know what firmware is loaded.

Very early in the piece before testing became a subscription only game, I discovered an early version of the Windows editor software on the SubP FTP site (I was browsing that site regularly to obtain the latest updates because as the OP said, things became hard to follow. Of course it didn't work, so I posted a simple query about that and an error dump. Rather than a quick explanation and maybe an invitation to get on board, next minute the FTP access was blocked and we find ourselves in the current situation. I was disappointed with that. Also, I'm not one for posting "Where can I download the Editor?" notes every other day, as if we were reading some usenet software crack group from 20 years ago!

I too think the updates could be organised and documented better. A sticky would certainly be useful. I personally would like to see a document that summarises the changes, additions and fixes for each update.

On the other hand I understand Moog is a small company and Amos and his associates have a lot to deal with, so the extra work that goes into such documentation may slow the process down to an unacceptable rate. I love that Amos gets involved personally and that we're not having to raise a service ticket for each request that disappears into the ether. I don't want that to change. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Cheers,
Murray.
Hey, Murray.

I just set up my new SubP and saw your post mentioning a sustain pedal. Would you please tell me which input on the phatty I connect the pedal to?

Thanks.

Alan

agreenberg19

Post by agreenberg19 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 pm

I feel your pain regarding the waiting period for promised software.

But it is all relative. I bought a Korg MS-20 Mini and waited 4 months before it shipped and another 2 months before the editor was released.

I downloaded the SubP's editor 2 days after setting it up.

What a synth, eh?

Shalom,

Alan