Everything Phatty.
Fantastca

Discontinuation of the Moog Little Phatty

Post by Fantastca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:51 pm

:(
Hope the changes are for the better!
http://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-anno ... ynthesizer

Let's discuss it guys.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

GovernorSilver

Re: Discontinuation of the Moog Little Phatty

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I'd like to see a Sub Phatty Old School - no presets, no MIDI, no dependencies on firmware or OS updates. I realize this is a minority opinion.

It'd be nice to see a 37-key Sub Phatty.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Sad day. I wish I had the $$ to get the CV mod on mine. I hope they will continue to do that for a while. The Slim is here for a while though, right?

OS Little Phatty would be cool too.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Dang -

Announced less than a month after I bought a new LP Solar CV from Sweetwater... :shock: :cry:
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah, I've just seen this. Kind of sad, but let's give a chance to changes :)
GovernorSilver wrote:I'd like to see a Sub Phatty Old School - no presets, no MIDI, no dependencies on firmware or OS updates. I realize this is a minority opinion.

All the same here, count me in!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Maybe they can substitute it with a polysynth.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm

EricK wrote:Maybe they can substitute it with a polysynth.
:lol:

psr

Post by psr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Sad news. I hate to see moog synths dico'd. well i have a slim phatty. would love a sub but its not in the cards for me. This likely will make the aftermarket prices shoot up sky high for LPs.
The intersection where HipHop & Technology meet!
http://www/Bboytechreport.com

Moog - Rhodes - Linn - Jobs
Slim Phatty | MK I | MPC | iOS

Shutoku

Post by Shutoku » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I'd like to see a Sub Phatty Old School - no presets, no MIDI, no dependencies on firmware or OS updates. I realize this is a minority opinion.

Count me in too.
Actually I've been saying for awhile.....just re-release the minimoog model D. No memory or any of that crap. Maybe keep midi or a usb so people can using with their DAWs, though for me I don't care about that either.
I'd be getting a sub phatty now if not for the 25 keys.

robml

Post by robml » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:57 pm

bob would have been proud of the sub phatty. bet it's immediate uptake and struggle to keep up with demand rung the death knell for the little phatty.

buy a sub!

cheers

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I personally don't mind the discontinuation, as long as repairs are still available - I currently need a couple (my pitch wheel is applying an unstable pitch at some locations, and the preset knob could use some reinforcement).

I guess the Sub Phatty started competing with the Little Phatty and quite a few folks are after the knob-per-function idea. I however love the LED ring system on the Little/Slim Phattys (especially linked in a poly chain with other units) - you know where every value is for each preset, unlike with traditional knob-per-function designs. The Little Phatty is the perfect interface for a Little/Slim Phatty Poly Chain, so people without a LP with this idea in mind may have to pick one up second hand (for possibly higher prices eventually??).

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 pm

David Smyth wrote:I personally don't mind the discontinuation, as long as repairs are still available - I currently need a couple (my pitch wheel is applying an unstable pitch at some locations, and the preset knob could use some reinforcement).

I guess the Sub Phatty started competing with the Little Phatty and quite a few folks are after the knob-per-function idea. I however love the LED ring system on the Little/Slim Phattys (especially linked in a poly chain with other units) - you know where every value is for each preset, unlike with traditional knob-per-function designs. The Little Phatty is the perfect interface for a Little/Slim Phatty Poly Chain, so people without a LP with this idea in mind may have to pick one up second hand (for possibly higher prices eventually??).

David.
NZ
Ditto! :(

Glad I took the plunge and picked up the Solar CV while I had the chance.
The Sub Phatty IS pretty cool ~
But still glad I opted for the LP instead!! 8)

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 pm

My first ever synth was a Stage I Little Phatty, and I now have a Stage II. I see it as a sad day, end of an era thing, but I'm glad I've already got one. Wouldn't trade it for a Sub Phatty, cool as those are. In any case, whatever comes next will be more awesome, and analog, so we'll see.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

It makes me sad but also happy... now I have a classic and vintage Moog synthesizer! How cool am I???
I'm glad I've got mine in time, I really love it!! :D

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Now I wish I could mount my Golden Knob on my LP Stage II. I can see how it makes sense to discontinue Bob's last project rather than revamp it, but it's still a little sad. :cry:
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.