Any Octatrack users?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
GovernorSilver

Re: Any Octatrack users?

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:15 pm

I found an early (year 2011 :D) track by the guy who inspired me to consider the Octatrack:
https://soundcloud.com/anders-bergdahl/ ... ar-odyssey

The Pickup Machines (for looper pedal style looping) did not exist in the Octatrack OS at that time - he had to record his loops using the manual and recording trig sampling methods. Here's his description from http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchiv ... 00208.html
With eight channels of sampling and effects and crazy crossfader and trigless trig stuff the Octatrack is a VERY diffrent beast.. Here I'm usin it as alooper of sorts, i sample and resample since it has eight track i can stack stuff and replace stuff and to somethings a looper cant... according to Elektron there will be a proper looping machine later this spring but what is there is deeper than most loopers or samplers and it can be used for live experimental looping, perhaps not as good for building live backings.... yet.. if you don't want youre backings to be experimental than it's GRAT
A soloway Swan Guitar into a V-stack Tweedy (amp sim) into Octatrack into recorder. No effects ot anything just "live" plying on guitar and Octatrack.. I had some stuff like pitchshifting, delays and more mapped to the Crossfader so i can kind of play the pitch on some of the tracks... COOL (might sound strange) some trigless trigs on some track to, among other thing, shift pitch, revers and stuff..
The OT VERY FUN to play with and sort of musical.. need to practice a lot more but there is potential in this machine...
http://soundcloud.com/...rgdah...guitar-odyssey
THE "LIVE" guitar is a "through" machine I also use a trig recorder to pitch shift the live guitar with trigless trigs.. (in left chanel)
Note that he is talking about advanced usage of the Octatrack, beyond my current skill level. I particularly like the 2nd half of the track, when you can hear the layers of craziness add up. I can imagine running Voyager audio into the Octatrack, then having the Octatrack sequencer play the Voyager over MIDI, which in turn changes the audio behavior...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I was precisely think about Anders :) He inspired me to go in the guitar + MDUW direction, which led to a set I called Strings & Trigs.

Another set called Hapax Legomena consists in some of the improvisation sessions I described earlier. Long tracks, can be boring, but definitely learnt me so much!!

vasago

Post by vasago » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:36 pm

You should def buy an octatrack, as well as the rest of their boxes(well maybe not the monomachine). I currently use a MD as the heart of my setup. Its just so easy to use and flows very well. I don't actually use it for internal sounds too often, its just a great controller(of sorts). The octatrack I ssuper sweet. Takes some time investment both to learn it and get all your samples in line. I bought mine so I wouldn't have to lug some synths around, and just use the sampled riffs. Hell I spent an entire weekend going through an old hard drive to see what kind of goodies I could get for it :D
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:I was precisely think about Anders :) He inspired me to go in the guitar + MDUW direction, which led to a set I called Strings & Trigs.
I started listening to these. Nice!

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Nice job.

This may seem like a silly question, I've noticed that the 8 tracks are monophonic, does that mean they record in mono or playback mono? If I loaded a stereo sound file, would it playback mono?

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Ignore, I've just read it's not limited to mono, not sure where I got that from.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for listening :)

The tracks are monophonic as in not polyphonic. Not as in not stereophonic.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 pm

The Octatrack audio tracks are all in stereo. You can control the stereo balance too for each track.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Don't fear the OT. I did use the MD non-UW for about a year before getting an OT; so, I knew the elektron way of doing things a bit. It is not that bad. I have never used any sort of sampler before, computer or hardware. It is a very functional device when used in a limited capacity. You can add functions as you have time to learn. Triggering audio loops; while sequencing external gear, routing their output into the OT to a thru track to lay on some effects and mix it internally in the OT, is all quite easy. I consider it a lifetime piece of gear(we'll see).

Examples, live manipulated, recorded in one shot from the OT master outs:
Produced for the elektron users group OT lab #4. Comprised entirely of the Wilhem Scream sample (less than 2s sample) http://www.wilhelmscream.net/ . Sliced, diced, and manipulated completely on the Octatrack.
https://soundcloud.com/sizzle-squirt-bu ... woo-wiz-we

This one is MD and x0xb0x through the OT. Using recorder trigs to grab different chunks of the drum loop and x0x loop and play them back in different places with different effects, couple tracks of each instrument layered.
https://soundcloud.com/sizzle-squirt-bubblepop/peewhew

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks, yea I've made my decision on it, the good reports are by far outweighing the bad, getting mine on payday next week. :D

In terms of mixing ^, can it all be done on the OT then? Without the need for a computer at all?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 am

^
There are limitations, but yes. I don't use a computer. I didn't before the OT though either; so, the OT was a big step up.

Enjoy the OT.

If you are in the U.S.
Prices are expected to rise 9/16 on Elektron gear. http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php ... &id=233733

JRRshop recently seems to have the best deal on new Elektron gear, contact them by email and ask what the absolute best deal they can give you. Usually free shipping and 10%-15% off list. Or at least use that fact with another retailer to get them to budge off their price.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks but I'm in the U.K, found somewhere that will let me have it on finance if I pay half off as a deposit which saves the wallet for now.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Hmm, according to that thread on elektron-users, there is no indication the prices are going up only for US customers - could be a worldwide price hike.

You should be good though if you purchase the OT before the end of the month.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:35 am

Yea you're right, the prices went up in the U.K too last week by at least £100 :x

I'm getting a b-stock one though from a reputable store for a lower price, opened box but perfect condition.