MF-105M a couple of stupid questions

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
weary

MF-105M a couple of stupid questions

Post by weary » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 am

Hi!

I have a questions about syncing my MF-105M with Mac Book Pro:
1. Mac Book Pro with Pattern editor connected to MF-105M trough M-Audio Midisport Uno. To get audio control of changes, sound signal goes from Voyager. But, when i`m trying to change any adjustment by setting knobs on the Murf model in a MacBook, there`s nothing affect on MF-105М. On the MIDI Menu of Pattern Editor set the Ch 1, Midi output device displayed M-Audio Midisport Uno, not Murf. What am i doing wrong?
2. I have a big problems with English, and, reading of Manual, i didn`t understand how to change the clock divisions in a midi clock sync mode? I`m not using DAW, MIDI clock goes from AKAI MPC 2500.

Thanks for the answers! I`m from Russia, sorry for my bad English. :D
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

EMwhite

Re: MF-105M a couple of stupid questions

Post by EMwhite » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:10 am

I can address part of your issue.

The 105m, being a din midi device will not advertise itself by name to Midi so your computer will only know of it through the Midisport port as you have configured.

Midi clock is a subset of real time controls and is not channel specific so unless you are filtering specifically with routing software, clock messages should hit the MurF directly and you should see this in looking at the rate light (I believe it is amber if clocked by midi, red internal clock and green if stepped via gate jack).

One test would be midi out on your drum machine right into MurF to see if yo see this behavior.

All of the other functions are channel specific so it's important to see that the channel is set right. There is a startup sequence where you use the rotary to desire channel and hold the button while plugging in power. (Double check this with the manual, I could be off, come to think about it, it may have something to do with the slide switches and not the foot switch; sorry I don't have the manual handy)

If the direct MPC to MurF test works, try a basic clock app on your Mac through your Midisport to see if it also sees clock. If not, you have bigger issues! If so, see about resetting the channel to listen on channel 1. That should be the default.

When being clocked via Midi, the rate knob will have invisible boundaries by which the clock is divided by a value. Have a metronome click running from you daw or MPC and a drone of audio playing through the MurF then slowly rotate from fully counter clockwise to clockwise on the rate knob. If my memory hasn't failed me again somewhere around 3 or 4 should be quarter notes.

Let us know how it goes!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

weary

Post by weary » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm

EMwhite wrote:Have a metronome click running from you daw or MPC and a drone of audio playing through the MurF then slowly rotate from fully counter clockwise to clockwise on the rate knob.
It works! Hurrah, the second issue is resolved! :D
EMwhite wrote:If the direct MPC to MurF test works
Yes, it works. :arrow:
EMwhite wrote:try a basic clock app on your Mac through your Midisport to see if it also sees clock.
I never use computer for music. Please, say the app :)
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 am

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I run an old version of Logic that I bought in 2008 :lol: and MASCHINE. I also have something called Cantabile which runs under WINE with an ASIO driver; it's an x86 Widows program and I don't recommend it because of how much trouble it was to get working (I only use it to host OP-X).

Two choices;

1) just go for it and maybe reset to channel #1 by having both switches set to the left, holding the footswitch and inserting the power plug with the selector on the desired channel. So do this then set the interface/output in the MurF app and the channel you chose.

2) Just wait and I'll have a look for some free software that will at least exercise your interface to ensure that it works. I won't be able to do this for another day or two but I"ll get to it this week, I promise!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

weary

Post by weary » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

Thank you for helping!
Yesterday I checked the M-Audio by connecting Voyager through it to the Animoog on the iPad. It works.
EMwhite wrote:1) just go for it and maybe reset to channel #1 by having both switches set to the left, holding the footswitch and inserting the power plug with the selector on the desired channel. So do this then set the interface/output in the MurF app and the channel you chose.
I tried, still does not help.
EMwhite wrote: 2) Just wait and I'll have a look for some free software that will at least exercise your interface to ensure that it works. I won't be able to do this for another day or two but I"ll get to it this week, I promise!
I`ll be grateful.
I spent a few hours in the appstore to find the right program, which can send MIDI-clock. Could not find anything useful.