Sub Phatty Firmware & Editor

Everything Sub.
red

Sub Phatty Firmware & Editor

Post by red » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 am

To: Moog Music Inc.

I lost the overview about the firmware and editor development for the Sub Phatty... as posted here and there.
As a customer I would be happy to get an official note for the download at http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phattys/sub-phatty.

Thanks
::red

JemenJ

Re: Sub Phatty Firmware & Editor

Post by JemenJ » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:19 am

Word!

I cant but to think that this is a yet another example of rushed product release. Let the consumers pay big money for cripled synth. Beta testing should be dealt with before releasing new products to the market! Why we have a Little Phatty Stage II.... Why there are so many first versions of Little Phatty on the second hand market...? Must be a major harware desing flaw that could not be fixed by just updating firmware?

I'm waiting for Sub Phatty Stage II. Maby then the beta testing is over.

troglodisme

Post by troglodisme » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:03 pm

yes, that would def be the best thing. also an easier way to update firmware would be amazing!

breun

Post by breun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am

I think the official note is that the firmware update and editor are currently still in beta. The official firmware is still the one that your unit shipped with.

For the firmware beta you can follow this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19588

For the editor beta you can follow this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19737

Of course a completely bug-free release on day one would be ideal, but I guess it's also not very realistic. If you follow the threads you can see the number of ideas people bring to the table and that get implemented. I'd say it's great that there's the possibility for that.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:14 am

JemenJ wrote:Word!

I cant but to think that this is a yet another example of rushed product release. Let the consumers pay big money for cripled synth. Beta testing should be dealt with before releasing new products to the market! Why we have a Little Phatty Stage II.... Why there are so many first versions of Little Phatty on the second hand market...? Must be a major harware desing flaw that could not be fixed by just updating firmware?

I'm waiting for Sub Phatty Stage II. Maby then the beta testing is over.
I think most synth companies are doing this now. As far as I'm concerned the first release is beta. The second release whether its called 1.0 release, 2.0, Stage II, Expanded, or whatever; that's the final production release.

It's our choice to be early adopters or not. Depending on my needs I will choose accordingly. In the case of the Sub Phatty I'm enjoying it now even with the few bugs that pop up. As long as I'm confident that issues will be addressed I usually prefer being an early adopter and I have confidence that all of the Sub Phatty's bug issues will be addressed.

jjlucas76

Post by jjlucas76 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I personally think that it is ok to have end-users testing the software and firmware during beta, but one thing I don't understand is why on earth the beta testing for the editor needs to be closed to an elite group of people while the firmware is easily shared?
I am one of the first UK owner of a DSI Tempest and albeit the Drum Machine was released with an Alpha firmware, DSI has been very opened in their forum about sharing the most up2date firmware with everyone.

On the Moog forum it has become difficult to keep track of the status for the current development.
Everything useful like firmware, diagrams, documents are posted as a reply to someone and making it very hard to follow.

The main forum topic for the firmware and editor should be made as Sticky so to stay always on top as soon people browse the Phatty section.

The topic title should show the current firmware / editor version and its current release note and opened issues.

I am an almost happy owner of a SubPhatty as I find it a really inspiring instrument, but to make use of it in the studio, I will need to have the editor to easily switch the hidden settings quickly on/off

I know those can be set with the shortcuts, but to be frank, that is a long shot for me to adjust, after I spent £850 on the synth.

So please fix the forum topics, sort the collateral currently available and share the current development with everyone that owns a SubPhatty.

zky

Post by zky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:54 pm

hello guys Im new to the forum

Just got a sub phatty,,would you please be so kind to tell me where to download the editor beta and teh firmware beta? thanks a lot

MuzzFuzz

Post by MuzzFuzz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi All,

I agree with jjlucas76.

I personally don't mind beta testing the firmware updates as they become available. I've owned my SubP since early May and I bought it purely on the strength of Amos' NAMM demo video. The firmware in the synth he had for that demo was probably at a guess 1.03 or something and I certainly didn't see or hear anything that gave me any pause.

I'm really enjoying contributing to the forum and watching the synth grow. I think it's maturing nicely and personally I feel it is certainly more usable now than it was out of the box. (Implementation of sustain pedal response and the adjustment to the response of the knobs have been the two biggest improvements for my work.)

I agree with jjlucas76's comments about how difficult it is to keep track of current status.

I have kept all the firmware files I've downloaded and made a little document to note what I installed and when. Without functional software I'm pretty sure it's impossible to know what firmware is loaded.

Very early in the piece before testing became a subscription only game, I discovered an early version of the Windows editor software on the SubP FTP site (I was browsing that site regularly to obtain the latest updates because as the OP said, things became hard to follow. Of course it didn't work, so I posted a simple query about that and an error dump. Rather than a quick explanation and maybe an invitation to get on board, next minute the FTP access was blocked and we find ourselves in the current situation. I was disappointed with that. Also, I'm not one for posting "Where can I download the Editor?" notes every other day, as if we were reading some usenet software crack group from 20 years ago!

I too think the updates could be organised and documented better. A sticky would certainly be useful. I personally would like to see a document that summarises the changes, additions and fixes for each update.

On the other hand I understand Moog is a small company and Amos and his associates have a lot to deal with, so the extra work that goes into such documentation may slow the process down to an unacceptable rate. I love that Amos gets involved personally and that we're not having to raise a service ticket for each request that disappears into the ether. I don't want that to change. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Cheers,
Murray.

breun

Post by breun » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

zky wrote:would you please be so kind to tell me where to download the editor beta and teh firmware beta? thanks a lot
There is no public beta of the editor available yet. The editor should be released soon (but we've been hearing 'soon' for quite a while now).

You can find the latest firmware beta in this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19588 You might want to browse backwards from the last page of that thread.

JemenJ

Post by JemenJ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Bald Eagle wrote: I think most synth companies are doing this now. As far as I'm concerned the first release is beta. The second release whether its called 1.0 release, 2.0, Stage II, Expanded, or whatever; that's the final production release.

It's our choice to be early adopters or not. Depending on my needs I will choose accordingly. In the case of the Sub Phatty I'm enjoying it now even with the few bugs that pop up. As long as I'm confident that issues will be addressed I usually prefer being an early adopter and I have confidence that all of the Sub Phatty's bug issues will be addressed.
Tell me about it... I've had first gen Virus TI and that was an epic fail with the "Total Integration". Took years to get the product working.
When did we, as a consumers and paying customers have started to accept this kind of business policy?
I know some users like to get their hands on early beta versions and be a part of "development team" via posting bugs and suggesting features. But then there are others like me who want solid ready to go finalized product with 1k€.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi everyone. Editor is ready for release.

The only remaining delay concerns the firmware -- all Sub Phatty users will need to update their firmware to use the Editor.

In beta testing, we discovered a vulnerability in the boot loader software, which could cause an update error if the power was turned off at a critical moment during the firmware-update process.

So, we have spent this week isolating the vulnerability, fixing it, and rigorously testing a new bootloader.
Since a firmware update will be necessary already for the editor, it made sense for us to incorporate this fix at the same time.
This added an unfortunate few extra days delay to the Editor release, but we're nearly there now.

In summary:

- Editor is ready for release.
- New firmware v2.0 is ready for release.
- New bootloader v2 is finished; bootloader update process is being tested today.

I will send out the above files to everyone on the Editor beta-test list later today, and we can test over the weekend.

At that point everything will be in place for an official release next week.
An email will go out to all registered Sub Phatty owners. Your patience will be rewarded very soon.

-Amos

MuzzFuzz

Post by MuzzFuzz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Amos,

Thanks for the update, and thanks for your patience with us too. As I said before, your presence here is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Murray.

red

Post by red » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:09 am

thanks !
::red

dswo

Post by dswo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Thank you, Amos. My Sub Phatty came in April. I am so, so glad that I had it to record all summer instead of waiting till this fall when the editor will be ready.
David Wilson-Okamura

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:42 am

When the firmware & efitor is coming out ? The week is almost done ?
I can wait.....:)