Second Osc dead

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
drumlager

Second Osc dead

Post by drumlager » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Oh lord...please help me through this. Voyager is 11 months old. Today the 2nd Osc will not sound on any patch. If I crank the res, I get some high pitched sounds that can be controlled by the keyboard ammt knob. I would love a trouble shoot guide before I call moog directly. I do use the cv expander to feed back to itself. I already disconnected everything but audio out. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

thealien666

Re: Second Osc dead

Post by thealien666 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm

You probably have a defective oscillator. Contact Moog Music support ASAP.

BTW, cranking up the res doesn't affect Osc 2 but the filter...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Try and assign OSC2 as a source to modulate the filter. If you can hear modulation then it is living and breathing. If not, try either OSC1 or OSC3 - if they work then OSC2 is mostly dead (but slightly alive).
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

drumlager

Post by drumlager » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks for the advice. It came back to life 12 hours later. Still not sure what happened. Sounds good as new. It's almost like something on the vx351 locked it up or something. I assume these idiosyncrasies are par for the course, but still scary. The board was up and running for about 3 hours...too many variables to correctly diagnose the problem. Will contact Moog just to get a note on my file..

overthereinabox

Post by overthereinabox » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Well, I think this has happened to me now :( one minute all was fine with my Old School, the next a dead OSC 2!! I tried to modulate OSC 1 and 3 from 2 to check I was getting some output from 2 but it just seems to detune both of them, and the effect gets worse when I try to change the wave shape of OSC 2, but oddly only when I turn the waveform knob - when I stop, 1 and 3 resume their slight detuning. I can't hear anything when only OSC 2 is selected in the mixer section no matter which knob I turn for OSC 2, so I think it is b*ggered - what d'you all think? What should I do now - it is out of warranty now and I live in the UK - is there anyone I can contact in the UK to get it checked over/repaired - is there a Moog UK?

Help?!

warby

Post by warby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm

HHB in London cover Moog repairs quickly and efficiently in my experience. Best to contact Moog support first, they will give you the contact details.
My tunes - soundcloud.com/warbatron

overthereinabox

Post by overthereinabox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 am

Just to update you all, hhb repaired all faults (a few more than were originally thought surprisingly) re-tuned and returned my Old School back to me in 5 days - recommended, especially the tech guy Patrick Belcher.

warby

Post by warby » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 am

Patrick fixed my RME and MF101 recently...great communication throughout and he even went the extra mile to contact Moog for a special deal considering issues I've had in the past with the RME.

Hopefully it won't need to go back for a third repair!
My tunes - soundcloud.com/warbatron