Minitaur Oscillators vs. Subphatty Oscillators

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
edrochagoncalves

Minitaur Oscillators vs. Subphatty Oscillators

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey there,

I'm loving the Minitaur sound, but I wish Moog released a version with a keyboard because I don't really like having to hook it up to a midi controller in order to play it live. I read somewhere that the oscillators on the subphatty are the same as the Minitaurs' (even though the filter is different). Is this correct?

I guess my question is:

Can I get the same (or quite similar) low end as the Minitaur with the Subphatty??

I've compared it to the voyager and, even though the voyager is an amazing beast, it doesn't even come close. I was hoping the subphatty might...

Ed

marty

Re: Minitaur Oscillators vs. Subphatty Oscillators

Post by marty » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am

Sub Phatty definitely sounds more like the Taurus line than the Voyager does (or the Lil Phatty for that matter). Of course you should be able to achieve ridiculous low end with any of these but to my ear the Sub Phatty was engineered with healthy portions of the Taurus mojo thrown in.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:58 pm

It's not just the mojo, the Minitaur seems to be able to hold it's own one octave below the voyager, so it's that range that I'm interested in specifically. I suppose that's what the sub oct in the subphatty is for, but since in the Minitaur you reach that range with the regular oscillators, I'd really like to know if you can achieve that same tightness in the lowest octaves.

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:02 am

I do not have a Voyager to compare to my Minitaur...but I was just testing a simple dual oscillator saw patch for a track which automates the frequency control to create a rhythmic beat on both my Sub Phatty and Minitaur. The original patch was designed on the Minitaur and I just recreated it on the Sub Phatty. The Minitaur version sounds lush with a solid bass and dense detune effect while the Sub Phatty version sounds thin and somewhat boxy regardless of how much I play with the oscillator volumes and multidrive settings... there is a distinct lack of the round warm bass that you get from the MInitaur.

I uploaded a SoundCloud comparison of the two here with a few different Sub Phatty volume/multidrive tone settings:
https://soundcloud.com/srtexperience/se ... comparison

The SoundCloud wave to lossy conversion kills the sound somewhat so you may want to download the wave.

ricky87

Post by ricky87 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 am

The ultimate Moog bass is the Mini Moog. Not the new stuff. i have already know about it three months ago