Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Everything Sub.
Amos

Re: Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:28 pm

HumanByDesign wrote: Fast Decay button, no documentation in manual. What does it do exactly, and is there a hidden parameter button combo? How is this different from simply adjusting the decay or release?
Fast decay makes the exponential decay/release stages steeper while still taking the same amount of overall time... it's easiest to hear what this is like if you are using a looping envelope and switching Fast Decay on and off.
HumanByDesign wrote:I may have missed this in an earlier version but, when in patch mode with editor, when you press Activate Panel, should all the settings revert to neutral or 0? I've noticed they don't. It would be convenient if they did as a sort of initialized patch. I'm not sure if I completely understand the idea of the activate panel vs. a compare button.
Activate Panel keeps "its own" set of hidden / under-the-hood settings, which persist. The reason for this is so that you can switch from Active Panel to any preset and then back, such that Active Panel sounds the same both times. So, in Active Panel mode, all the knobs are live / all panel parameters match the knob positions, and all hidden / non panel parameters stay however you set them while in Active Panel mode. These settings are saved for next time, any time you exit Active Panel. Hope that makes sense.
HumanByDesign wrote:Firmware update:
Version 1.4.0. Great! (any release notes, or no need?)
Will there be an updated manual in the future, featuring all the new improvements? (loved the addition of the Panic feature in 1.3.9)
There is a list of changes in the firmware update READ ME file...
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... EAD-ME.txt

...a manual addendum is, I think, in the works.

dhocks76

Post by dhocks76 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 am

Hi there,

I've just upgraded to logic X so I'm not sure if the following behavior is to blame the SP editor or logic.

I have a few weird things happening.
I have an instrument track to record the sound from the SP, and a Midi track with the editor as Plugin. (SP is connected trough USB)

-First, when I turn the LFO speed knob on the SP the instrument track in Logic goes in and out of Solo while turning. Somehow the Midi data coming from the SP conflicts with Logic X.

-Secondly, when playing back the quantised MIDI from Logic trough the SP timing is tight. However when going to recording the resulting audio clip is quite a bit out of sync. (almost 60 ticks) The strange thing is is that the resulting audio is way too early! Somehow logic or the editor overcorrects for latency. But could it be the editor or the SP tells logic to correct for a certain latency?

-Last, when recording with a 'count in', if the first recorded note starts before the 1, the note will hang on the SP and a reboot of the SP is necessary to stop the hanging note.

I hope my confusing encounters help.

edit:
MacbookPro intel core 2 Duo
OsX 10.8.4
Logic X 10.0.1
SP firmw: 1.4.0
Editor: 1.02

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:56 am

those all sound like Logic issues... for stuck notes, press/hold both the keyboard octave up and down buttons at the same time, and the Sub Phatty will issue an "all notes off" command.

dhocks76

Post by dhocks76 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Yep, I was already afraid of that those would be logic issues.. ;)

However in the standalone editor of the Sub Phatty the KB semi setting does not respond to manual adjustments.
In other words, it changes with presets but if you want to manually adjust nothing happens..

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:01 am

Hello Amos,

I still have frequent USB connection problem with the last firmware and editor,It's the SubPhatty who loose the connection so I think it's a firmware issue.
I loose the connection and then 5-10 seconds later the connection goes back but if a note was playing at the moment of the disconnection it make a stuck note during the time between the connection get loosed and go back (at this moment a press both octave to kill it).

Ed Solo

Post by Ed Solo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I am having the USB connection problem too, im using the standalone editor and it usually happens when im in the library, very often too.
I just have to turn the Sub Phatty off and on again to reconnect.

im using a mac OS 10.6.8, (i will soon try on my other mac using 10.8)
Firmware 1.3.6
Editor 1.0.0 (though i only got sent this a few weeks ago, maybe there is a update that i was supposed to be sent ?)
No USB hub was used

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 am

Is the final Version coming out any time soon?
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

gorgolath

Post by gorgolath » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 am

hi,one month ago i have buy a sub phatty and i have a great time with it ,i just would like to known when the windows editor will be ready,thank a lot in advance for your answer.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 pm

dhocks76 wrote:...in the standalone editor of the Sub Phatty the KB semi setting does not respond to manual adjustments.
In other words, it changes with presets but if you want to manually adjust nothing happens..
Can anyone confirm this? It's working fine for me. I adjust KB SEMI in the standalone editor, and the pitch of the synth relative to the keys changes accordingly. This is using firmware v1.4.0.

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi,

Whenever a VST/AU plugin host (Live 9.0.5, Maschine 1.82) is performing its startup scan and my USB connected Sub Phatty is turned off, I will get two pop-ups from the two Sub Phatty plugin instances informing me that the Sub Phatty midi ports are not found. Aside from the annoyance of having to click these to go away, they will sometimes crash the host. It would be better if the editors did not spam a pop-up every time they can't find the SP, a visual cue in configuration window of the interface would be sufficient.

Thanks.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Logic does that too — for EVERY midi instrument EVER - it is a pain but I would guess it's System or Host related behaviour nothing to do with the SubPhatty specifically... :?
sp00ge wrote:Hi,

Whenever a VST/AU plugin host (Live 9.0.5, Maschine 1.82) is performing its startup scan and my USB connected Sub Phatty is turned off, I will get two pop-ups from the two Sub Phatty plugin instances informing me that the Sub Phatty midi ports are not found. Aside from the annoyance of having to click these to go away, they will sometimes crash the host. It would be better if the editors did not spam a pop-up every time they can't find the SP, a visual cue in configuration window of the interface would be sufficient.

Thanks.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 am

gorgolath wrote:hi,one month ago i have buy a sub phatty and i have a great time with it ,i just would like to known when the windows editor will be ready,thank a lot in advance for your answer.
hi it is August now, the Editor was due to be ready in April. where is it? what is going on? why are the beta testers all having fun and there is silence for all the users?

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 pm

sp00ge wrote:It would be better if the editors did not spam a pop-up every time they can't find the SP, a visual cue in configuration window of the interface would be sufficient. Thanks.

There is already an option to disable this message on the preferences page - look on the left column of the preferences, and turn off "MIDI Port Warning."

HumanByDesign

Post by HumanByDesign » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Mac OS 10.8.4
Logic Express 9.1.8 [64bit]
Sub P. Firmware 1.4.1
Editor ver. 1.0.2

Standalone Editor:

When using editor via USB & running Logic
Patch 4-1
Turn everything to 0 or center
All buttons off except Gated glide, Midi sync and fast decay for both Amp and Env.
Turn Glide Rate to max
Amp Sustain to max
Amp Release to max
Make sure OSC 1 is on Tri
Play some notes
Seems ok….
Now try to change the wave to around a Saw
Note will not sound at all or cut in and out as knob is turned.
MIDI transmits, but something odd is happening to audio.

I'm suspecting again, that this has something to do with an initialized patch being saved and brought to Sub P during 1.4.0, and doing odd things after updating to 1.4.1. This is consistent with each firmware update. The only way to ameliorate the issue seems to be recreating a new initial patch with each successive, new version.
Last edited by HumanByDesign on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 am

I've been waiting forever for the editor. Can someone please give me a link to the latest beta version?
Thank you guys.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3