Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
acatcalledanarchy

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Amos wrote:This will definitely not be the case in a proposed completely-overhauled future editor

Ah ha, (said in an Alan Partridge stylee) does this mean they'll be a Sub Phatty style VST for the Minitaur?

;)
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

parasitk

Post by parasitk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 pm

For what it's worth: I just updated my new white Minitaur to 2.0.7 from 2.whatever-it-was-from-the-store, and so far so good. :)

But I will echo that the software editor needs an update. An AU plugin version would also be fantastic.

umutgokcen

Post by umutgokcen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:54 am

Amos,

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with the preset handling of the editor! This "off-by-one" bug is so confusing that even if we can't get a major update please, please try to get this fixed.

Since you are dealing exclusively with the firmware, would it be possible to add a multi-key press to dump the current settings? I know that this is possible by sending a controller message from the sequencer, but I still think that the hardware initiated dump would be more intuitive.

christopherrowand

Post by christopherrowand » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am

I downgraded my minitaur from 2.7 back to 2.0 after some of my stored patches sounded .. a little different. Also my Mac 10.68 editor struggles to find the hardware sometimes. Still love it however!

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:07 am

christopherrowand wrote:I downgraded my minitaur from 2.7 back to 2.0 after some of my stored patches sounded .. a little different. Also my Mac 10.68 editor struggles to find the hardware sometimes. Still love it however!
There is one change I made that could account for this - it relates to Oscillator 2 BEAT which works in a different way...
I will work in the next update to convert old-format presets so that they sound the same in the new firmware.
Please make a note of this and let me know if I succeed in keeping presets sounding the same (vs. 2.0) in the next update. Thanks!

legravin

Can't run editor to see what FW I have

Post by legravin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 pm

I bought a Minitaur in January. Due to other priorities it has sat unused. I am now trying to use it. I am encountering many of the freeze/lockup problems that other people have reported.

I believe my Minitaur is an early REV2 model. So, I am assuming it is probably running version 2.0.0 of the firmware. In January I registered my Minitaur and got the URL to download the editor. Today I tried running the Editor for the first time. It keeps crashing reporting that it encountered an error. That's it...no other info about the nature of the error. :x So, I have no way to determine what version of the firmware I am running. I did read one post here that implies that the Editor will not run on WinXP. Is that true?

From what I have read in the forum, it sounds like version 2.0.7 has solved a number of problems. How do I install it? I have the REV2 upgrade info and the EXE's for clearing the firmware and then applying 2.0.0. But, how exactly do I apply 2.0.7? I have the SYSEX file, but what program do I use to apply it to the Minitaur.

I bought the Minitaur because it is analog and has knobs that have dedicated functions. I am trying to use it with my modular system. Unfortunately, it seems that the direction for the Minitaur seems to be going more to software. I only have a PC in my music studio to check the Internet. I prefer not to use it for musical purposes because of situations like I am experiencing with the Minitaur.

I would really appreciate some help with getting the Editor running on my WinXP machine and detailed instructions on how to do the 2.0.7 firmware update.

As far as future firmware updates, I would ask for updates that minimize the need for a computer to work alongside the Minitaur.

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Amos!
I like the new update; it makes for a nice set of refinements.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the ADSR envelope reset its attack on every key press. Is there a step by step set of instructions you or anybody else could provide? I've used the editor to make the synth reset the EG on every key press to no avail. I set the EG for a long attack, then I press a key and the attack is perfect one time. The next key that I press, whether or not I am holding the first key down, doesn't have the attack setting. It's just a new note with an instant "on". No long attack.

HALP MR. WIZARD!!! :D

Drizzle Drazzle Druzzle Drome...Time for this turtle to come home (to a synth that resets it's attack every time)!

Thanks,
Kirk

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Kirk Markarian wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to make the ADSR envelope reset its attack on every key press. Is there a step by step set of instructions you or anybody else could provide? I've used the editor to make the synth reset the EG on every key press to no avail.
Hi Kirk! It's not you -- EG Reset was not working. I fixed it today.

Here is new firmware, v2.0.8:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... v2_0_8.syx

and I've updated the installation instructions (legravin, this will answer your questions):
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... README.txt

New in this version:

EG Reset mode works as intended.

Hardware command to output all parameters as MIDI CCs:
- Press & Hold Glide switch + Double-Tap the Release switch.

Hardware command to save preset to the currently-active memory location:
- Press & Hold Glide switch + Press & Hold Release switch for 1 second.
(first press Glide, then Release; hold both for 1sec. You will see the MIDI LED flash to confirm that the save happened.)

REVERTED to old Osc2 Beat behavior; so older presets should sound the same. I will re-introduce the constant-rate Beat behavior (from firmware v2.0.7) once I've added a preset conversion routine so that old presets will sound the same with the new Beat behavior. For now, we'll take a mulligan on this one.

that's it; enjoy! Have a great weekend. :)

-Amos

legravin

Post by legravin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for the 2.0.8 update and the detailed instructions, Amos.

I applied the update to my Minitaur this evening. All the problems I was having with freezing and lockups appear to be gone. :D

Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 computers I have tried running the Editor on will not run it. The one that will run it is in my home office which is in a different building than my music studio.

So, it appears my upgrade to 2.0.8 was successful, but I can't use the Editor to verify it. :(

parasitk

Post by parasitk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Amos wrote:[
REVERTED to old Osc2 Beat behavior; so older presets should sound the same. I will re-introduce the constant-rate Beat behavior (from firmware v2.0.7) once I've added a preset conversion routine so that old presets will sound the same with the new Beat behavior. For now, we'll take a mulligan on this one.
Thanks for mentioning that. I'll stick with 2.0.7 for now (which is working great) as I much prefer the constant-beat behavior, and haven't saved any presets yet. Hopefully 2.0.9 will have the constant-beat plus the EG reset fix... :mrgreen:

//Chris

christopherrowand

Post by christopherrowand » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 am

Amos wrote:
christopherrowand wrote:I downgraded my minitaur from 2.7 back to 2.0 after some of my stored patches sounded .. a little different. Also my Mac 10.68 editor struggles to find the hardware sometimes. Still love it however!
There is one change I made that could account for this - it relates to Oscillator 2 BEAT which works in a different way...
I will work in the next update to convert old-format presets so that they sound the same in the new firmware.
Please make a note of this and let me know if I succeed in keeping presets sounding the same (vs. 2.0) in the next update. Thanks!

I installed 2.08 today and the presets from 2.0 now sound identical, thanks Amos.

I also managed to get my Mac Minitaur editor to work again today after first deleting and then reinstalling the software. It works great now.

renzo

Post by renzo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Amos,

2.08 rocks !

Thanks

TffShtt

Post by TffShtt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Amos wrote: Hardware command to output all parameters as MIDI CCs:
WOW! thanks! is there a chance we might get a sysex for this command (and other hardware commands) at some point?

TffShtt

Post by TffShtt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Amos wrote: Hardware command to output all parameters as MIDI CCs:
OOPS! *sorry* I didn't see this post about an NRPN for this command (which for my weak little mind, is better than a sysex):
Amos wrote: To get the Minitaur to output a CC value for every parameter, you just have to ask it to do so. :)
(this is newly implemented in the latest firmware, v2.0.7)
You ask it to do so by sending it a special pair of messages:

CC 99 value 0, followed by CC 6 value 127.

[This is the same as saying "NRPN 0, value 127" using the basic rules for NRPN messages as defined in the MIDI 1.0 spec.
thanks again Amos, smashing job!
Last edited by TffShtt on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:55 am

Hey Amos,

I'm hooking up the Minitaur to the voyager ext input and playing it via midi from the voyager, I'm running into some issues where I'll change a parameter in the voyager and it will change something else on my minitaur. Is there any fix for this? Plus, when I change the midi out oct to -2 on the voyager the Minitaur doesn't recognize it for some reason. It only works if I change the main octave setting.

Thanks.