Minitaur playing the same note over all controller keys

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
BezO

Minitaur playing the same note over all controller keys

Post by BezO » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 am

Almost every time I start my rig up, the Minitaur is only able to play a single, higher frequency note no matter what key I press on my controller. It's only after fiddling with all the knobs & unplugging the unit(why no power switch on this thing) several times am I able to play the instrument correctly. Last night I actually gave up and had to rely on a VI.

Anyone esle having this problem? Do I need to return my unit, exercise my warranty...?
Moog Minitaur
iMac 3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, OS 10.14.6

till

Re: Minitaur playing the same note over all controller keys

Post by till » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Do you power up your whole equipment a the same moment by a power strip?

I noticed, that some modern digital synths are sending out crappy MIDI data while booting. And this crappy data is sometimes confusing other connected MIDI ins. Try again, but now plug in the power of the Minitaur a few seconds after you start your rig.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Sounds like you are playing notes above #72.
The Minitaur's pitch range is from MIDI note 0-72 only.

Hope this helps

SD

BezO

Post by BezO » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm

till wrote:Do you power up your whole equipment a the same moment by a power strip?

I noticed, that some modern digital synths are sending out crappy MIDI data while booting. And this crappy data is sometimes confusing other connected MIDI ins. Try again, but now plug in the power of the Minitaur a few seconds after you start your rig.
Not by power strip, but I do turn everything on back to back. I'll try it giving the Minitaur a little more time.

But even unplugging & replugging the power & USB cords is not bringing it back to life. This used to work until last night. Even if it did continue to work, something is wrong.
SteveD wrote:Sounds like you are playing notes above #72.
The Minitaur's pitch range is from MIDI note 0-72 only.
LOL. I know. From the lowest note up to #72, all the same note, but as if I were playing notes above #72.
Moog Minitaur

BezO

Post by BezO » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 am

Firmware update seems to have fixed my problems. Always good to see companies supporting their products.
Moog Minitaur

BezO

Post by BezO » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

I'm having the same issue again. For a day or 2, unplugging the unit and plugging it back in did the trick, though I think it's ridiculous having to do that. But that's not even working any more.

And I did try plugging in the Minitaur last, giving other MIDI devices time to do their thing. I've also tried not turning on any other MIDI instruments except my interface & controller.

No one else having this problem? It may be time to use my warranty. My Minitaur has to be defective.
Moog Minitaur

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm

BezO wrote:.... It may be time to use my warranty. My Minitaur has to be defective.

Good idea. Good luck and keep us posted.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Your Minitaur that is playing all the same notes is probably fine, hardware-wise.
This symptom can happen if the pitch CV input was not calibrated correctly. The pitch-CV input is always summed with the MIDI pitch, so if the pitch-CV is not calibrated it can report some incorrectly-high voltage which drives the pitch up to maximum.

You can certainly have the unit re-calibrated by Moog, or if you have the ability to generate a couple of precisely-known control voltages, you can re-calibrate it yourself.

The calibration procedure requires you to apply exactly 1.00 Volts and 4.00 Volts to the pitch-CV input, whilst sending a couple of MIDI SysEx commands to the Minitaur telling it to scan and record these voltages. That should fix it. If you think this is something you can do yourself, get in touch with techsupport at moogmusic dot com and ask them for further instructions... otherwise, you can contact them to set up calibration here at the factory or at one of our service centers.

Cheers,

Amos

wicky

Post by wicky » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:52 am

Hello,

I have a similar problem with the same notes.
But my problem is, after when I activate (in the editor) the Legato Glide mode and change Glidetype, then the minitaur play only the same note. Maybe do you have the same problem? Maybe a hardware defective? I use also the newest FW 1.07

best regards

Wicky

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

wicky wrote:Hello,

I have a similar problem with the same notes.
But my problem is, after when I activate (in the editor) the Legato Glide mode and change Glidetype, then the minitaur play only the same note. Maybe do you have the same problem? Maybe a hardware defective? I use also the newest FW 1.07

best regards

Wicky
I have the same problem.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

peterboggild

Post by peterboggild » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Same here: does not react to anything. Doesnt matter if its USB or MIDI 5 PIN. Plays the same high pitch note.

I am deeply surprised by this lack of care in a renowned - say legendary - brand such as moog. This is clearly not a standalone issue, since others are experiencing it.

Could someone from Moog please let us know what is being done to solve this - please dont tell me that you have never observed this problem yourself?

I got a b-stock minotaur from thomann, and i think i know why it was returned. It can only play one note, and the knobs do not work.

Please tell me that it is possible to fix.

With respect, Peter.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm

yes it's entirely possible to fix. I'll have a look at the Legato Glide / Glide Type interaction as reported in this thread, and fix it ASAP.

update your Minitaur firmware to v2.0.7, send the factory reset sysex command, and see if it's fixed. if not, I'll engineer a fix.

Very sorry for the trouble it's given you!

Amos

-----

Minitaur Firmware Update

1) enter bootloader mode: press and hold both VCO1 Wave and VCO2 Wave switches while plugging in power to the Minitaur.  
Keep holding those two switches, and press the Release switch.  
You can now release all switches; you should see the Glide switch LED blinking slowly.  This indicates you are in bootloader mode.
Connect the MInitaur to your computer via USB.

2) Send ‘Erase Firmware’ sysEx command: http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... FW_Cmd.syx
(use any sysex-sending software to send this sysex file to the Minitaur)
You should see the VCO1 Wave switch LED blinking while the old firmware is erased.  
When the erase is complete, the VCO1 Wave LED will go dark and the Glide LED will resume blinking slowly.  
You may now send new firmware.

3) Send the new firmware sysex file.
(updated: http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... v2_0_7.syx)
While it transfers, you will see the MIDI LED blinking rapidly, and the VCO2 Wave LED blinking slowly.  
When the firmware update is complete, the Minitaur will reboot to the new firmware.

'factory restore' sysex command:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... re_Cmd.syx
Last edited by Amos on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterboggild

Post by peterboggild » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 am

well thanks: for the ultraswift reply, and because i did not have to guess what i should do. I did it all multiple times (erase and reinstall firmware)
but did not know about the reset sysex ... thanks a bunch!

moog for the win!

peterboggild

Post by peterboggild » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:04 am

... so now it occasionally works, however, crashes randomly, corresponding erratically to midi (two different 5 pin sources, two different USB / computers). I was normal for about 20 minutes, which was awesome, and then it went back to its current state. I have restarted it 30 times, every time it is different, and other knobs are not working. Is it worth re-erasing and re-installing the firmware, og is it simply broken? Any opinions?

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 am

I'm terribly sorry; those MIDI crashes are unique to the firmware version I posted in this thread. I fixed them the next day.
I updated the other thread where I'd posted a link to v2.0.6, but forgot that I'd also posted it here.

v2.0.7 is much more stable, please try it.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/mi ... v2_0_7.syx

kind regards,

Amos