FreqBox as a cv recorder

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Gith

FreqBox as a cv recorder

Post by Gith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 am

Maybe this is obvious to a lot of you, but I thought id share..

Using any multitrack/sampler/looper and a simple sound source, the freqbox becomes a versatile cv recorder..

When this sinks in you realise that tremolos are lfos (with a ring modulator this gets very tasty).. Loop points and reversing samples can easily make rhythmical patterns.. Delays (especially dynamic/ducker delays) take on new significance..

No midi-cv required..

You can even patch the env out back into the freqbox for an audio controlled synth.. just add filter.. (id set the env amount and mix to 0/dry or things could get complicated) :)

A compressor allows you to change/record the depth of the control too.. attack/release can create rhythmical movement..

Depending on your setup you can expand on this idea in a lot of ways.. (A CP251 mult and attenuators/inverters are an instant starting point).

The more I use my FreqBox, the more I love it..
[url]https://soundcloud.com/subliminalsandwich/sets/codex-provocateur[/url]

ebo

Re: FreqBox as a cv recorder

Post by ebo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:45 pm

an example?

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm

This is quite similar - I've recently been using the Freqbox for a side-chain compression sound. Here's how:

Drum Machine (in my case a Korg Kaoss Pad KP3) into input of Freqbox, Output running into mixer/speakers.
Freqbox mix set to fully anti-clockwise (left).
Env. Out to CP-251 CV Mixer. CV Mixer offset set to fully anti-clockwise (negative).
Negative output of CV Mixer into Synthesizer Volume CV (in my case a Minitaur or through CP-251 Multiple into my Phatty Poly Chain).
Synthesizer output running into mixer/speakers.
Tweak Freqbox gain, output and CP-251 CV Mixer offset to suit.

The idea is that the beat (mainly the bass drum) should cut through the synth sound, by using the Freqbox envelope to reduce the volume of the synthesizer.

Have fun! :D

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Gith

Post by Gith » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:37 am

David Smyth wrote:This is quite similar - I've recently been using the Freqbox for a side-chain compression sound. Here's how:

Drum Machine (in my case a Korg Kaoss Pad KP3) into input of Freqbox, Output running into mixer/speakers.
Freqbox mix set to fully anti-clockwise (left).
Env. Out to CP-251 CV Mixer. CV Mixer offset set to fully anti-clockwise (negative).
Negative output of CV Mixer into Synthesizer Volume CV (in my case a Minitaur or through CP-251 Multiple into my Phatty Poly Chain).
Synthesizer output running into mixer/speakers.
Tweak Freqbox gain, output and CP-251 CV Mixer offset to suit.

The idea is that the beat (mainly the bass drum) should cut through the synth sound, by using the Freqbox envelope to reduce the volume of the synthesizer.

NZ
Add a bandpass filter after the drum machine.. you'll be able to "tune" to selected frequencies (Kik, Snare, Hat).. your in Sherman restyler territory now...

:)

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Gith wrote: Add a bandpass filter after the drum machine.. you'll be able to "tune" to selected frequencies (Kik, Snare, Hat).. your in Sherman restyler territory now...
Ah of course! Now I just need a filter that isn't a Moog Low Pass! Although in the mean time I'll experiment with using various EQ's in place of a filter to accent different frequencies/drums.

Thanks for the idea! :D

Regards,
DavidNZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 am

David Smyth wrote:
Gith wrote: Add a bandpass filter after the drum machine.. you'll be able to "tune" to selected frequencies (Kik, Snare, Hat).. your in Sherman restyler territory now...
Ah of course! Now I just need a filter that isn't a Moog Low Pass!
High resonance should do the job ;)

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:High resonance should do the job ;)
Good point! Thanks for the ideas guys! :D

David
NZ

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 am

can somebody please explain the first post in this thread ?

I really can't understand what he means , freq box as cv recorder ??

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 am

I think the recorder word needs to be replaced with translator. You send music to the FreqBox, and the envelope follows the dynamics in the music, just like playing an instrument.

I could be wrong, but the FreqBox doesn't have a memory, it's more of an in the now kind of instrument.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am

Count me in! I would also love to hear the cv recorder explenation.
I got the popcorn ready and everything. Im counting on a spectacular explosive hollywood ending.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm

If you really want a cv recorder, and you can use an envelope follower or any cv, you can get an old instrumentation reel to reel (not computer data reel to reel) that was used by scientists for rocket trajectories and such. Records dc onto magnetic tape. Also would look extremely cool with a modular. Lots of them on ebay, though who knows if they still work.
Attachments
mL3R_f5lPCJYbvmc1plHArQ.jpg
mL3R_f5lPCJYbvmc1plHArQ.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 5066 times

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Gith

Post by Gith » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Rabalder wrote:Count me in! I would also love to hear the cv recorder explenation.
I got the popcorn ready and everything. Im counting on a spectacular explosive hollywood ending.
:) Im working on a little project called "Subversive Rhythmical Manipulator".. (you can start eating your popcorn now).

It mainly uses P>V modules like the Analogue Systems R35 and the ESP on the MS20.. but equally applies to the freqbox and 101LPF envelope followers..

I'll come back with some sound demos, as me just rambling on about mythical cv recorders wont do any good at all.. ;P

Gith

Post by Gith » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Rabalder wrote:Image
This costs £800.. and is euro only.. you already have a freq box right? id love one (Its one of the few Asys modules I don't have) But you need something (preferably _lots_ of different things) to send cv to it.. with my idea all you need is audio..

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:27 pm

You can do what Morton Subotnik did in the late 60's/early 70's and record audio onto tape, making sure that there are plenty of dynamic changes. Then play that tape back into an envelope follower and apply the EF control voltage to anything you like. This is in effect, 'recording a CV'.

Stephen