[ RME Issue ] Pedal modulation section - Dead.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Sandrow

[ RME Issue ] Pedal modulation section - Dead.

Post by Sandrow » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi there,
after a retuning session of my Voyager RME, i made a full check before closing the chassis and everything worked great.

I left it off for some hours, then switched on again to play and the issue happened.

To avoid long descriptions, the issue is shown on this short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGQTOfvcPg

Mayor checks already done:
I've checked all the flat cables removing and inserting them back into their sockets, I've made this on both the synth card and the front panel cards.
Panel factory reset, just as desperation maneuver.

Recap after check:
- LFO is woking, beacuse it modulates the mod wheel-activated section
- Mod wheel section is working properly.
- Pedal section's pots and rotary switches are all working fine as the digital encoder recognise them.
- NO modulation from this section.

There is no warranty anymore on this Voyager 'cause i bought it used.

Any help is very very very very much appreciated. :(

yesman

Re: [ RME Issue ] Pedal modulation section - Dead.

Post by yesman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 am

Hey Sandrow,
I'm not as familiar with the RME, I've a Voyager EB, but as a start I'm figuring that you do not have anything plugged in to the accessory ports. If that is true then there should be +5v normalled to the accessory point and the amount pot should control the modulation level. I think that other than an actual failure of the Pedal bus you have a midi configuration issue, on the RME the Pedal bus midi control default is CC1, the default mod wheel CC message. I would look into the midi config of both the RME and the controlling kybd and double check that both are set to communicate correctly.
Hope this helps, post your findings.

Sandrow

Post by Sandrow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 am

yesman wrote: ... I'm figuring that you do not have anything plugged in to the accessory ports.
If that is true then there should be +5v normalled to the accessory point and the amount pot should control the modulation level.
I have an oscilloscope, do you mean that i have to measure some points over the synth card?
If yes, tell me which ones, 'cause I havent' the schematics to track them.

I'll made a check on the midi config this evening then I'll post the results.

Thanks!!! :wink:

Sandrow

Post by Sandrow » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks a lot, you were right. :wink:

The issue was caused by my Poly 800 MKII's MIDI messages.

I never had this problem before beacuse neither my master keyboard nor the DAW sent strange messages to Voyager.

I brought in the lab the most lightweight keyboard i have to perform the Voyager's retuning, not considering that it have a poor Midi revision.

Briefly, the P800 send some messages that inhibit the "amount" pot, in that situation, the pedal section works only if i use the joystick to "Y" position ("X" is the modwheel).

So, the change of the preset on voyager is enough to restore the normal "amount" pot's behaviour.

Thank you vary much again, my shiny and almost perfect tuned Voyager is back into the rack.

Bye!!! :D

yesman

Post by yesman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 am

No, I was not and do not recommend poking around with the scope probe. Especially with-out the schematics. I was just referring to how the circuit is set-up. If it's not a MIDI issue this should be referred to a authorized tech.