Re: Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by HumanByDesign » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Mac OS 10.8.4
Logic Express 9.1.8
64bit
Sub P. Firmware 1.2.7
Editor ver. 0.9.4

Standalone Editor:

Upon launch it keeps loading half off the screen at the bottom. Must always move window up.

Window frame at top looks enlarged. red "X" & orange "-" buttons are slightly blurry and bigger than the mac OS standard ones. As if the resolution of the graphics is too low.

Pressing Random button still produces hanging note. Although the lockup that occurred where a restart was required has ended. Changing the patch drops the hanging note.

Requests:

Double clicking on any knob resets to 0 or neutral position.

Questions:

1.If you save a preset in the editor, then send it to the Sub P, should the name of the preset also save TO the Sub P? When you "GET" the patches from the Sub P the list always displays "No Name". Not sure if this is normal operation.

2. In the pref panel MIDI CC 14bit is set to off by default. Is there a reason for this? I would have thought that utilizing the max bit depth would result in much smother aliasing during knob rotation. I switched it on a haven't encountered any issues yet.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi Amos,

Standalone v0.94
Still getting the error I've told you about in an email. After sometime using the Editor, it stops sending MIDI to the Sub Phatty... I don't know how you can adjust this.

There's something that I haven't noticed before: when you change octaves while editing sounds, the editor puts -2 octaves, even if you raise an octave with the Sub Phatty's buttons. It doesn't actually change the octave from the keyboard, but I'm not sure if it saves correctly the sounds. I've tested the ones I've sent you and haven't had any problem.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Cubase 7.0.5 64

Standalone seems to work fine.

Vst 32 freezes Cubase,vst 64 doesn't appear (even after update and re-scan plugs)like a plug or vsti.
In a second try after selected the "echo midi from host" option in standalone mode the editor finally get opened in Cubase but after select preferences everything freezed again.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am

version 0.9.4: The 64bit VST isn't showing up in Live x64. 32bit VST version JBridged and 64bit standalone both work fine.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 am

nofuturenocore wrote:Hello,

Anybody there who get the VST working with only USB connection on Windows with 0.9.4 VST ?
No, still not working for me. At one point it did, but I couldn't get it to play any notes, but it did have two way MIDI transmission of knob parameters. I've not been able to get it to do it again though, and just get stuck with the "Hardware Disconnected" message every time.

I've gone back to a USB and DIN connection set up since that does work. However, doing that means I can't use the SubP keyboard as it means the DAW is receiving 2 MIDI inputs giving me 2 notes a few ms offset for every key I play. I need to use an external controller to play the SubP in a DAW at the moment, so I'm really hoping this issue can be fixed.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:04 am

barryfell wrote:
nofuturenocore wrote:Hello,

Anybody there who get the VST working with only USB connection on Windows with 0.9.4 VST ?
No, still not working for me. At one point it did, but I couldn't get it to play any notes, but it did have two way MIDI transmission of knob parameters. I've not been able to get it to do it again though, and just get stuck with the "Hardware Disconnected" message every time.

I've gone back to a USB and DIN connection set up since that does work. However, doing that means I can't use the SubP keyboard as it means the DAW is receiving 2 MIDI inputs giving me 2 notes a few ms offset for every key I play. I need to use an external controller to play the SubP in a DAW at the moment, so I'm really hoping this issue can be fixed.

Mee too because I don't have any midi connection on my soundcard and I choose to buy the SubP for 2-3 reason and full midi over USB was one of them as well as VST to make Modulation with M4L in Live.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm

thanks for the feedback so far! I'm going through all of this today, mostly working on firmware today but we're looking at the editor too...

ul303

Post by ul303 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I still get the "Hardware Disconnected" error with 0.94 vst.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Amos wrote:thanks for the feedback so far! I'm going through all of this today, mostly working on firmware today but we're looking at the editor too...
Thanks Amos, it's very frustrating but I hope this will be solved because from what I've understand using DIN + USB is not solving the problem because :
barryfell wrote:I've gone back to a USB and DIN connection set up since that does work. However, doing that means I can't use the SubP keyboard as it means the DAW is receiving 2 MIDI inputs giving me 2 notes a few ms offset for every key I play. I need to use an external controller to play the SubP in a DAW at the moment, so I'm really hoping this issue can be fixed.
Thanks again. Have a good day.

ul303

Post by ul303 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 pm

With 0.9.4 (x86 standalone) In the Librarian if you select a patch on the Sub Phatty it won't switch to the right corresponding patch in the Sub Phatty Presets pannel (right one)
This works finr with 0.9.2

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 pm

barryfell wrote:I've gone back to a USB and DIN connection set up since that does work. However, doing that means I can't use the SubP keyboard as it means the DAW is receiving 2 MIDI inputs giving me 2 notes a few ms offset for every key I play.
This is just user error. Every DAW has the option to select which MIDI input you are recording on a given track. The default in Ableton Live is "all inputs" which would cause the above problem, but the solution is simply to select only one or the other MIDI device for recording.

I suspect that a number of these problems could be solved by a clear, step-by-step setup process being followed... then again, the process is different depending on DAW and operating system, meaning that there are perhaps a dozen or more unique processes which are "the right way" to do it depending upon your particular setup. Hmm.

I'll try to post some tutorials on how I'm doing it... got to work on firmware first though.

Perhaps someone else here who is having success could post some detailed usage instructions, for the benefit of those who are having problems?

cheers,

Amos

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Amos wrote:
barryfell wrote:I've gone back to a USB and DIN connection set up since that does work. However, doing that means I can't use the SubP keyboard as it means the DAW is receiving 2 MIDI inputs giving me 2 notes a few ms offset for every key I play.
This is just user error. Every DAW has the option to select which MIDI input you are recording on a given track. The default in Ableton Live is "all inputs" which would cause the above problem, but the solution is simply to select only one or the other MIDI device for recording.

I suspect that a number of these problems could be solved by a clear, step-by-step setup process being followed... then again, the process is different depending on DAW and operating system, meaning that there are perhaps a dozen or more unique processes which are "the right way" to do it depending upon your particular setup. Hmm.

I'll try to post some tutorials on how I'm doing it... got to work on firmware first though.

Perhaps someone else here who is having success could post some detailed usage instructions, for the benefit of those who are having problems?

cheers,

Amos
Ah, I see, I did investigate set up issues but didn't identify changing it from "all inputs", as i'm so used to jumping between my controllers on every (virtual) instrument.

That fixes the problem, thanks. :)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:32 pm

firmware: 1.2.7
Editor: 0.9.4

Saving banks still uses file names like 4-4.syx but they are in their own folders so Don't know if this is the intended behavior.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:firmware: 1.2.7
Editor: 0.9.4

Saving banks still uses file names like 4-4.syx but they are in their own folders so Don't know if this is the intended behavior.
That's strange, as I've certainly been able to name and categorise new presets as desired. I can also name the default bank presets.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi AMOS! (copy of eMail shared to forum thread)

Will click the SHARE button to test that in a few minutes and send you
some more sounds- have brought my SubPhatty into the house from
(10.6.8) studio where I now have Mountain Lion(10.8.4) on Laptop and
WiFi - these atached textfiles are two crash logs while switching
from Logic to Standalone version
Logic has to have a track enabled to monitor audio so would expect
this switching between versions to happen frequently
also attached - a screen shot over AU non-validation of 'instrument version'
other issue under 10.6.8 is saving individual sounds vs. complete
banks of presets

all best, PETE
Please Call Me, PETE