Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
edrochagoncalves

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by edrochagoncalves » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:34 am

Hi Amos,

My Minitaur is also freezing up on me, I know this has been covered already but I'll give you my detailed description in case it helps:

I have it controlled by midi in Ableton, in the following chain:

Ableton live - profire610 midi out - dsi Mopho midi thru (chan2) - dsi prophet midi thru (chan3) - Minitaur (chan1)

Is still haven't found exactly what causes the freeze, but it was happening when I had it connected by usb and continues happening with midi. It suddenly just stops playing notes, you just hear a little clicking sound if you try to play it and none of controls work. Cutting the power and bringing it back up solves the problem.

Hope you can iron it out for the next firmware, any idea when It comes out?

Thanks
Ed

evaluna

Post by evaluna » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 am

Muve wrote:I'm confused on the firmware updating procedure. The instructions given are:

(to install, follow the same steps outlined in the REV2 update, sending this sysex file instead of the v2.0.0 one)

However v2.0.0 is an .exe application so works in a different way. At what point/how do you send the v2.0.4 sysex file?
Hi Muve,

Your sequencer should be able to send a sysex file to the Minitaur. I used Sonar to do it. If your sequencer does not support it, I believe there are a number of free tools that will do it. Some are listed for both Windows and Mac at this site:

http://highlyliquid.com/hl2012/blog/61

Hope this helps.

citric_acid

Post by citric_acid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:21 am

My mintaur freezes also. was in a production yesterday an used the minitaur for the first time for more hrs at one time. Every 30 min it freezes. f u c k ...can´t´úse it in a prof. way. Hope the firmware will fix this soon. otherwhise the minitaur will fly out of my studio window :roll:
I tweak the knop till it´s broken

Muve

Post by Muve » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 am

Thanks evaluna. Surprising this wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 am

just an update to say that Sub Phatty is almost finished and I'll be back on Minitaur very soon... thanks everyone for your patience.

-Amos

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Amos wrote:just an update to say that Sub Phatty is almost finished and I'll be back on Minitaur very soon... thanks everyone for your patience.

-Amos
:D VST please, pretty please!

Much love...
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 am

I think this was mentioned before, but I want to post my support for the ability to save "under the hood" settings as default settings each time you power he device up. I don't actually own a Minitaur yet, but this along with the apparent bug fixes would probably seal the deal for me.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

greencross

Post by greencross » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Mine is also glitchy after the firmware update, but it was also glitchy before the upate, not so glitchy as now...

For example, when I'm looking for a sound only ushing a note and tweaking knobs like a person with severe mind problems, it stops working. It just stops receiving MIDI and I have to unplug and plug back. When 'm working with the MINITAUR as a normal perso would do, it also freezes up on me. So it's not a problem caused by my mental health, nevertheless lately the MINITAUR is exponentially affecting my mental sanity in a negative way. It seems this machine is more than a sound beats, it also messes with your mood.

I'd like to say I'm using a MacBook Pro w/ Mac osx 10.8.4, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. With a Motu UltraLite Mk1, Ableton Studio 8.

since the beginning this unit was faulty, please check http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p103365

I contacted Amos and Perry took over, but I think maybe my emails got lost in the swamp. Already emailed Perry now to see if we can wrap this insanity up :)

Cheers!

PS: BTW this is my first hardware synth, I love the sounds it makes, it's so powerful. but when it doesn't work, it's useless for me too.

Solum

Post by Solum » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:25 pm

I also have the problem of freezing, especially when you do not use the synth for some half an hour or more and then want to go back to the Minitaur.

The more severe problem I have was mentioned before by others. Somehow saving presets does not work well. You need to turn every knob on the Minitaur so the editor finds the current position. Opening a preset from the editor and going on from there is tricky when saving the sound. Knobs that were not touched are then often saved incorrect as if the editor could not find the current position of the knob.

I like the sound of this little bugger alot but problems with incorrectly saved sounds are bad and reduce the fun and proffesional aspect much.
For example I wanted to send in a track this week for mastering. I needed to record the bassline again and opened the saved preset within the editor and was shocked on how wrong this sound was saved. I am now still working on that bassline in order to find the perfect settings I had some days before...

citric_acid

Post by citric_acid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 am

i will put my minitaur in the garbagecan if there will be no bugfix soon. i think this was my last moog other companies have also a similar sound...

i own a lot of vintage moogs like minimoog polymog and LP. but this machine makes only trouble from the first day on 600€ are cheap but for a synth witch makes only trouble... shame to moog for this buggy product. Nice sound but only problems with it.

i can understand when the guys at moog have a loot to do, but that a bugfix take so long ....
The new products have a higher prio to fix than the cheap ones.....
I tweak the knop till it´s broken

Freebot

Post by Freebot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Amos,
As you can tell if you read the latest comments, patience is gone. We have been patient and obviously that is not working. I have owned this Creativity-Crusher for over a year and still can't use it. This is seriously shitty on you and Moog's part. Personally, I wish I had bought the Dave Smith Tetra instead. Much more options, analog and .....ready for this.... THE EDITOR WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!

Fellow MT suffers, I call on you to join me in spreading the word on Moog's poor ass attention to it's customers and it's products. As of August 1st, if there is no fix for ALL of the issues with the MT, then I (and I hope the rest of you) will find every website that offers a User Review of the MT and voice our frustrations there. Like every other corporation, profit is the most important thing. If we can reduce the amount of people who actually buy this shiny turd, then maybe something will actually be done about it.

I agree with the last poster, there are many other options to get phat analog sounds these days and almost all those options are performing better than Moog is these days. Very sad, but true......

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I've updated to the latest 2.0.4 fw, it works, but I didn't test it for a long session.
I still afraid of using the device in live setup with USB midi, but constantly use with DIN midi cable on stage.
USB MIDI is buggy and freezes the panel controls frequently.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

Solum

Post by Solum » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 am

@Freebot

You are right, it`s really a shame that this product still does not work as it should. I have a Minitaur since it`s release and am still waiting for an editor that works. This is just too long and not fair to customers. I will spread the word too if this wont change soon.

I also bought a Voyager last year and am quite happy with it. I was thinking about buying a Sub Phatty but the problems having with the Minitaur held me off as both products are in the same price class and the Sub Phatty editor was not even finished at release date...
Saying the Minitaur is not expensive is wrong as you buy a product that is more or less not useable in a studio environment. Regarding this fact it is quite expensive. It is like Russian Roulette sometimes you are lucky and parameters are saved correctly and the machine does not freeze or you are the loser, losing your work and a lot of time.

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am

Thinking of these bugs, I sometimes want to order some "old school kind" full analog synth, without any firmware, etc., like Doepfer modular system.
No bugs, no hangs, no compromises :)

I've seen one custom Dopefer based system of GusGus in live action, it really bites many modern 'analog' mid-price range models.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Amos,

I really need to know if the firmware update that fixes the freezing bugs will be available soon, as in, until the end of the month. I am preparing a show for September and urgently need to know if I should just start using another synth as I cannot possibly risk playing with the Minitaur like this.

Thanks

Ed