Moog Music or Moog Clothing Line?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
electrical_engineer_gEEk

Moog Music or Moog Clothing Line?

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:34 am

I'll admit i do have 2 moog shirts....but come on....matching track suits??
This whole Moog accessories is just starting to get out of hand. I kinda feel like moog is using us to advertise their products....we are like walking billboards to show how trendy this line of instruments are......

All I'm asking for is an affordable completely analog synth...nothing new or amazing just keep it simple and affordable....The gear heads have had their day in the sun, now it's time for the poor musicians to shine....

keep to what you know....musical instruments

Qwave

Re: Moog Music or Moog Clothing Line?

Post by Qwave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:41 am

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:I'll admit i do have 2 moog shirts....but come on....matching track suits??...
I will not buy those.
And You don't need to buy them.
And I don't think the had to deceide if to do a new synth or some new cloths.
It is an extra thing.
And it is always nice to see one with a Moog shirt somewhere.
I go then to those persons, and say hello and ask them about their Moog and other synths after I named my Moog synths.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

monads

Post by monads » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Come on...who purchased the belt buckle? :wink: They should offer a cowboy hat and gun holster costume/w belt buckle...imagine playing your Voya in that getup? Just like the old west....bang, bang!

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:04 pm

Hey, if people want it, they will buy it, and Moog will continue to make it.

Personally, a lot of the stuff that they are selling is a bit young for me, but that is probably their main market. I would have bought some of the T-shirts if they would have fit, but I am an XXXL in many cases and those sizes aren't offered.

I do like the new cap being offered.

I did not like the belt buckle that they had for sale, but I do remember pineing for one years ago that I saw on an old album of mine, SWITCHED ON BEATLES. I must have loaned it to someone years ago (my nephew I think) as I can no longer find it. It was a cool album, in my opinion. A guy on the cover was wearing a belt buckle (this was in the day of the wide belts) that said MOOG on it.

What I would really like is a Black on black "lettermans jacket" that said MOOG on the back and had MOOG MUSIC on the left chest. I have always loved lettermans jackets and have had many, from my high school lettermans jacket (my favorite jacket of all time) to a MLB lettermans jacket that I wear today (and I am not even a baseball fan).

Again, anything that Moog offered would probably not fit me. I have often thought of writing them and asking permission to use their logo so that I could have a custom jacket made for myself.

Think that they would allow that????
Thanks Bob!!

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:45 pm

thewaag wrote:Hey, if people want it, they will buy it, and Moog will continue to make it.
People want the old Moog synths. They are in great demand. Far greater demand than beltbuckles. I don't see them making those.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:43 pm

I think there's another way to look at this. Moog doesn't outsource and does all of the manufacturing in the US (see Mike Adams' message). They are hurting themselves financially by doing that and making a smaller profit for it. But, that is what makes Moog so great.

However, they need to turn a profit to stay in business so selling clothes, watches, belt buckles, and clocks is a great way to help out the company. We do want Moog to stay in business for a long time so if selling clothes and such helps make that happen, then I say go for it.

That will help them have the resources to develop new gear for us. I'm sure they make more money from the clothes than they do off Voyagers.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:00 pm

endocrine wrote:
thewaag wrote:Hey, if people want it, they will buy it, and Moog will continue to make it.
People want the old Moog synths. They are in great demand. Far greater demand than beltbuckles. I don't see them making those.
-Tyler2000-
I doubt they make them. Usually there is a company that makes the merch for them.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:11 pm

endocrine wrote:
-Tyler2000-
Hopefully you are kidding on this....

There is a ton of difference between buying a couple thousand dollars worth of shirts, hats, and other items for re-sale, versus the cost of research and development of a new synth product. Then you hope that the new product is successful enough that you can make a profit after you hopefully get all of your initial costs out of it.

Hey, it's fun to wear an item that bears the name of your favorite musical instrument (I also have Fender and Gibson hats, shirts, etc.), and if you are doing a bit of free advertising for the company than so be it. Hopefully the company is making a few bucks or so from this merchandise marketing. It seems, however, that some of these items (belt buckle, 50th anniversary watch, etc.) haven't been all that popular with the masses....
Thanks Bob!!

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:27 pm

Whatever Moog needs to do to continue to be a profitable business is fine by me. If it keeps their doors open and audio products coming out, then who cares?

...the belt buckle is pretty funny, though.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:48 pm

Fender does it, Roland does it, Zildjian does, Gibson does, Korg does, too many others. Why not Moog?

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:13 am

Hey I like that track suit! I grew up in breakdancing era, so that sh*t is fly to me!!!
I especially dig the pants. I've found that the hats seem 2...um...well, humbug, in my opinion...I do think the minimug is cool though...If I had the $$$ I'd buy one!
Who doesn't need a cool funky coffee mug to remind them about the awesome instrument they have when they go home from work?!?!?!
Belt Buckle is corny, though...but the hoodie's cool...Yeah, they gotta find ways to advertize AND turn a profit if they are to STAY in business. I think we're gonna see lots more stuff... Moogerfooger Guitar straps, perhaps?? um...

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:41 am

Musashidan wrote:Hey I like that track suit! I grew up in breakdancing era, so that sh*t is fly to me!!!

:idea:
So you see??!! There are so many of us out there with so many different tastes that it is very difficult for the folks at Moog to know what we like and we don't. They have a wide range of customers--young vs. old, funk vs. techno vs. electronica, etc.

Still looks like the belt buckles were less of a hit than expected though. Maybe they need more feedback on what the customer base is looking for.

Personally, I prefer the complete MOOG logo vs. just the O with the musical note tails in the middle. I will buy (and have bought) T-shirts with the entire MOOG logo but won't buy one with just the O unless there is something else on the shirt that strikes me.

They sold polo shirts a while back but they were very spendy if I recall correctly, and they just had the O. If they had the entire MOOG logo I would have bought one, assuming that they came in XXXL. Talk about a small market--I'm sure that they sell L and XL 50 to one versus XXXL.

Gotta admit--the new neon clock is cool but spendy. I may purchase one of those for my office.......
Thanks Bob!!

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:12 am

if Moog wants 'MY' feedback... even something as simple as their moog tee shirts could be designed better.

what's with the gawdy yellow logo? why not go with safer colors? like white logo on a black tee? Or a black logo on ANY color tee would be cool (ie. black on red or green)... and that logo seems too large for the shirt it's on... looks so big it might get lost in the armpits as it wraps so vastly.

When it comes to apparel, I think most Moog fans want tradition. vintage. nothing too crazy. And I agree that the full "moog" logo is cooler than just the circle one (ie. belt buckle). I guess the circle logo works better for something like a buckle though, shape-wise.

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:36 am

I've bought all the Moog novelty items, I think they're great. In 10 years you guys are going to be on some message board saying "remember when Moog made those watches? I just saw one go on Ebay for $400! You could buy them new for only $49....I wish I would've bought one!" I buy these things if only just to avoid that.

It's fun and I hope Moog keeps making these types of products. It clearly shows the value of the Moog name. People who are never going to own a Moog electronic instrument in their life still want to wear a Moog t-shirt. I think that says a lot.....

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:13 am

I have the shirt with the yellow "Moog" on it. I never liked the quality of it, I'm not too up on 100% cotton. Too heavy. Though the "I'm an Idiot" shirt is a nice poly/cotton blend, maybe I'll get that one :) All the other shirts are really ugly IMHO. Captain Analog? Give me a break :roll: I guess someone is buying them, though.