Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Everything Sub.
Amos

Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by Amos » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 am

Post it here please. :) That way we can all help one another. Thank you!

Bald Eagle

Re: Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:59 am

The distance that you have to move the mouse to control the knobs that have fixed positions like Glide and Modulation Source seems excessive. I have to move it as much as an inch for some of them. At first I thought it wasn’t working at all because I only moved the mouse a short distance and the knobs didn’t respond. I don’t know if this is a bug or not so I’m just reporting back to you anyway.

Also, if the editor is positioned near the bottom of the windows screen and a knob is turned all the way up, it is not possible to turn the knob back down beyond a certain point because when the mouse reaches the bottom of the screen the knob stops moving. You have to reposition the editor in order to set the full range of the knob. I am able to get the full range of the knob using multiple mouse operations by releasing the mouse button and grabbing the center of the knob again but this is a bit annoying. Same thing if the editor is positioned at the top of the screen.

A few things that would be nice for a future version would be to add PC keyboard control for the knobs for fine tuning. Maybe click a knob to get focus and then use the arrow keys. It would also be nice to show a small textbox or something when moving a knob that has the exact value of the knob in it. Maybe even allow typing into it so you can just enter an exact value. Of course if you were to implement this there are a few knobs like Oscillator Wave that I’m not sure what you would type.

Other things look good so far and I’ll continue playing around with it.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:36 pm

I think you can Control+Click/Drag to do fine adjustments. My Sub Phatty isn't hooked up but the UI is suggesting that some fine-adjustment is going on... give that a try.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Firmware loaded fine ~ Installation update went smooth under 10.6.8 but back up your sounds ~ it will wipe out saved user presets
The Standalone is looking very solid now - setting up AU is still problematic under LOGIC however-
When you set up an EXTERNAL MIDI track for the PHATTY you can not add the Editor to it - You can however select it as an insert on an AUDIO track. So far, playing that recorded MIDI back will not rerecord the SubPhatty however— not quite sure of intended use and how to best set this up — and most importantly, how to take into account some way to configure the MIDI filtering so that the MIDI data doesn't wreak havoc within Logic but useful data will still be recorded... consulting SubPhatty Editor software manual now
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 pm

here's the setup in Logic
in the top window EXTERNAL MIDI track is enabled - there are no slots to load the AU
in the bottom window SUB PHATTY audio track is active enabled and you can see the AU is loaded into a channel strip as an Audio "Effect"
Please Call Me, PETE

ul303

Post by ul303 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Hardware disconnected error in VST version.

Standalone Editor works fine.
VST has "hardware disconnected" message whatever the midi settings/ports used. Communication is OK: moving the knobs on the editor affects the Sub Phatty and vice versa.
Librerian shows hardware disconnected message too.

XP SP3, Ableton live9.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello ul303
For the Windows VST plugin: this plugin uses a special background application to open a direct MIDI connection to your hardware, outside of the plugin host application (your DAW). Because windows is not good about sharing MIDI devices between programs, this means that you can't select the same MIDI device inside your DAW.
The reason it works this way is because the VST standard can't pass SysEx data, which is how the Sub Phatty sends and receives preset files and global data. So, in order to manage presets on the Sub PHatty from within a DAW, a separate MIDI connection outside the DAW is needed. One way to manage this is to use the Sub Phatty USB connection for communication with the Editor plugin, and the Sub Phatty standard MIDI connectors and a separate MIDI interface to connect the Sub Phatty to your DAW. Or vice versa (USB for the DAW, standard MIDI for the editor plugin).
Read Instruction .txt :)

I asked Amos about that because I was hesitate to buy a Midi to USB interface because I don't get Midi Din on my Audio Interface, he said that this will be fixed soon.

However on the standalone version I tried to save preset and load them, this work correctly for the sounds but the name of the preset didn't get saved.

ul303

Post by ul303 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi nofuturenocore,

I know this, I have read the instructions from Amos.
Problem is I am not using the same midi interface! I have explained my issue more in details in the firmware bug topic.
There is another guy for whom it works. Not for me :(

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Okay sorry didn't see that you already post that. I don't know how work Logic so i can't help you for this, I saw that you wrote that you disable all interaction between your Midi connection so theoretically this should work . Sorry for you but like said Amos, a solution will be there soon so we just must wait a bit :).

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Amos wrote:I think you can Control+Click/Drag to do fine adjustments. My Sub Phatty isn't hooked up but the UI is suggesting that some fine-adjustment is going on... give that a try.
Thanks for that tip. It does in fact perform a very fine adjustment.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:40 pm

yes i see the same message each time I load the program, until i reset prefs in the AU version too :D
ul303 wrote:Hardware disconnected error in VST version.
Please Call Me, PETE

ul303

Post by ul303 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 am

misterpete wrote:yes i see the same message each time I load the program, until i reset prefs in the AU version too :D
ul303 wrote:Hardware disconnected error in VST version.
What do you mean exactly? Did you solve the issue? Can you explain?

till

Post by till » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:26 am

Just installed the version 0.9.1 of the SubPhatty Editor on my iMac OS 10.8.4.
I noticed the installed did not installed it properly, until I deleted the older Editor version manually.

Observations & wishes:

* Wouldn't it be nice, when the standalone editor would select a SubPhatty as Midi in and out put manually per default when it see one one connected?
* Standalone version only: Using the SHIFT MODE FEATURE TAB is not resizing the window, but appears to close it and reopens a new one very quickly. Other software I know does it somehow smoother and just resizes the window without a flickering on the display. But this is just thing of beauty and not of a function. So this is of minor importance and may due to the multi platform code used.
* VST version running in Reaper64 bit: When using the SHIFT MODE FEATURE TAB the first time after opening the plug-in (it opens with expanded view), the lower rim of the non expanded view is missing. See attached screenshot.

keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

JohnWynberg

Post by JohnWynberg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 am

Having lots of fun with the editor. Good work!

A few issues I have come across, not sure if bugs or things that haven’t been implemented yet:

Logic 9 Pro in 64-bit mode fails to recognise the Sub Phatty Editor. [Edit: Actually, it also fails validation in 32-bit mode. But it works fine in Live 9 in 64-bit mode. So maybe the problem is with Logic 9. I have version 9.1.8]

If I rename a preset directly into the Sub Phatty Presets (the column to the right), and save the bank, it fails to save the name. Next time I load the bank, the preset is still called ‘(no name)’. However, I can save (and name) individual presets in the editor, then drag a selection to that Sub Phatty Presets, save the bank, and it works. Next time I open the bank, the names are there.

Some selector knobs don’t seem to work in the editor. I can’t change the Glide Type, LFO Range, Wave Mod Destination, or Gate Source. The only ones that work, from those type of knobs, are the ones in the Sub Phatty front panel: i.e. LFO Source, Oscillator Octave, etc.

I’m using the Editor on an iMac running OS X 10.8.3.

ul303

Post by ul303 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 am

Not sure if this is a bug but presets are saved as 1-1.syx to 4-4.syx so you are limited to 16 presets per folder otherwise drag and drop of presets from one folder to another one will overwrite all the presets but the latest 1-1 to 4-4 ones!