EHX pedal based analog sequencer

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
turnstyle

Re: EHX pedal based analog sequencer

Post by turnstyle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Vaskula

Post by Vaskula » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:00 pm

I just got the 8 Step and am trying to use it with my Minitaur but the signal is passing through unaffected. I can't get the 8 Step to do anything with the Minitaur signal whatsoever. Is this because of the gate issue? Is there anything I can do or should I return it and save for a Doepfer Dark Time?
Please help!!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:13 am

What parameter are you trying to sequence with it?

Try triggering notes with midi (external sequencer or keyboard) and using the step 8 to modulate the filter. The minitaur only responds to CV from 0 to +5V; so, moving the sliders below the mid line will not do anything. Also, make sure the depth on the step 8 is turned up (zero depth will produce 0V on all steps regardless the slider position).

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 am

This video is disturbing!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 am

Vaskula wrote:I just got the 8 Step and am trying to use it with my Minitaur but the signal is passing through unaffected. I can't get the 8 Step to do anything with the Minitaur signal whatsoever. Is this because of the gate issue? Is there anything I can do or should I return it and save for a Doepfer Dark Time?
Please help!!
If by gate issue, you mean that 8 step does not have a gate out. Then you are correct.

But that doesn't mean that you cany use it. You'll need to actuate the gate and hold it, and this can be done by holding a midi key or using the dummy plug method published elsewhere.

You won't be able to craft the timbre because the Env generator will not trigger but you can run midi clock in then sync the minitaur LFO to midi clock and have it pulse in time with the stepping.

The minitaur LFO is a sine/tri wave so not the best, but it's something.

One other somewhat unorthodox solution is to pump a hard hitting bass drum sound into gate. Ideally, have your drum machine send midi clock.

Don't give up!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Jay944

Post by Jay944 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:15 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Jay944 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 am

droner wrote:I'm really looking for a low(ish) cost single unit that will run note sequences while I'm turning knobs, etc. "On the Run" type stuff. I have a simple setup (voyager os, 351, mxr delay) and will hopefully add a ring mod soon.
Droner, as described in the dedicated topic, here is what you can do with your Old School, her VX and the EHX 8SP:
stiiiiiiive wrote:The Emwhite's GATE OUT mod is something I'll consider soon enough. For now, I can use the VX-351 LFO out to send the signaI simultaneously into the 8SP's CV input for sync purpose and in the Voyager's ENV TRIG input. That does the job brilliantly.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Sooo...

I had a session yesterday with the EHX 8SP controlling the pitch of my LP, which was feeding the previous for MIDI clock.
I kind of bugged the thing: Tap Divide LEDs all lit, but no way to cycle the setting. I lived with it for a session, and decided to consult the manual again later.

Tonight, I've done so and I found nothing explaining that. I did not even find why holding teh Tap Divide button would lit two over three MODE LEDs...
Anyway, I had to Factory reset in order to attempt to reproduce that weird behavior. It seems the MIDI CC#29 sets the tap divide parameter... and makes the box bug: I could see all kinds of characters on the display when turning the MODE encoder, sometimes going with not less weird sounds.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?