Minitaur - make attack reset on every key press

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Kirk Markarian

Minitaur - make attack reset on every key press

Post by Kirk Markarian » Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 am

Is there a way to do this? I tried to find it on the Minitaur editing software, but what I thought would do that, didn't.

EMwhite

Re: Minitaur - make attack reset on every key press

Post by EMwhite » Tue May 28, 2013 3:45 pm

In the editor (under the hood settings) within "Trigger" section is a switch. You'll want it on EG Reset to re-trigger the envelope on every key.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Tue May 28, 2013 10:32 pm

EMwhite wrote:In the editor (under the hood settings) within "Trigger" section is a switch. You'll want it on EG Reset to re-trigger the envelope on every key.
Thanks for answering me!

That's the thing that I tried and it didn't work. I tried that and I also turned off the sustain. Does length of release affect the attack? What I mean is - does the attack not reset until the release is off? That would make sense, but kinda ruins the pad effect.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't use the editor nor USB, but sometimes Din-Midi. The CC number to switch trigger mode is 73. Programmed from my Akai Max 49, it does work as planned. Try to program a button or slider on your controller and see if it works for you. See if the editor sends the proper CC and value. (read manual).

Make sure you have the very latest firmware version installed (2.0.4)

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 am

Portamental wrote:I don't use the editor nor USB, but sometimes Din-Midi. The CC number to switch trigger mode is 73. Programmed from my Akai Max 49, it does work as planned. Try to program a button or slider on your controller and see if it works for you. See if the editor sends the proper CC and value. (read manual).

Make sure you have the very latest firmware version installed (2.0.4)
I'm gonna try this - I'm up to date on the firmware, so I'll give the CC# 73 a shot - I don't have the ability to program it directly on the keyboard of the Alesis Q25, but I believe it can be assigned in the editor as part of a preset. Cool! Thanks for the tip!

ISE500

Post by ISE500 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:53 am

I am interested in this too, is there a chance to programm the under the hood features like OSC sync on the alesis q25? did not figure it out yet

till

Post by till » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 am

All good vintage analog synthesizers used analog envelopes. And these envelopes were at the sustain or release phase when a new note was triggering the envelopes. And so they started the attack from the current point. They did not cut of the envelope of the note played before and then started the attack from zero.
Some newer digital and especially softsynths that claim to be programmed to reproduce certain vintage synths got this wrong, as it is way harder to do in software without the attack starting from zero.

Cutting the envelope to zero just to start the envelope of the next note at zero might cause a audible click in the audio due to the needed sharp volume change. This click is easier to hear on low frequency sounds and on the VCA envelope.

See here for some technical details about sharp envelopes producing clicks (here based on Waldorf synth and their fast envelopes):
http://faq.waldorfian.info/faqausgabe.p ... +in+theory

And it has to be a very fast envelope cutoff in order to start the new note without adding latency.
So there is a good reason for the envelopes not to start at zero on every new note.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

grenert

Post by grenert » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 am

Till, that is an interesting point you make. Do you know if the Minitaur retrigger starts the attack from the current level or resets to zero before retrigger? I've had to deal with envelope clicking problems before on a Korg Monotribe.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

till

Post by till » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:02 pm

grenert wrote:... Do you know if the Minitaur retrigger starts the attack from the current level or resets to zero before retrigger? ...
It starts, as a good analog behaving synth, from the current level of the envelope. I can't think of a Moog doing it the other way (resetting the envelope level to zero first).

But you can use the Under The Hood settings for the EG Retrigger Mode selection to change this:
- Legato On: single trigger mode (a new trigger of the envelope only happens if no key was held before) without resetting the envelope level to zero (original vintage Moog and other synth style)
- Legato Off: multiple trigger mode (every new key will retrigger the envelope) without resetting the envelope level to zero
- EG Reset: multiple trigger mode (every new key will retrigger the envelope) an resetting the envelope level to zero (does not behave like most analog synth)

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

grenert

Post by grenert » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:36 pm

till wrote: - EG Reset: multiple trigger mode (every new key will retrigger the envelope) an resetting the envelope level to zero (does not behave like most analog synth)
Interesting! Maybe sometimes the click sounds good on some patches... :lol:
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

till

Post by till » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Sometime some newbie hardware users just won't to get the same bad things as they are used to from certain bad done freeware soft-synths. :lol:

Sequence: