Sub Phatty, no oscillator 2 as modulation source?

Everything Sub.
anselmi

Sub Phatty, no oscillator 2 as modulation source?

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 am

hi, I was part of this forum but not in an active way and this is my first post alair, so hello everybody!

as the thread´s title say I wonder if oscillator 2 is indeed removed from modulation sources in the sub p

I hope not because it´s the key for lot of worderful sounds in the slim phatty...I got one (and a minitaur) and was thinking about sell it to get the sub p but the lack of this feature really killed the deal...

Amos: is such a feature planned to be implemented in a OS/firmware upgrade? maybe using shift + one of the LFO´s waveforms position...

I love the new 3-bus modulation routing with attenuators on them and this would be even greater to use with oscillator 2 as the modulator
this are some of the sounds I got and love using this feature...and I know the new LFO is fast, but is not the same since it doesn´t track the keyboard

http://soundcloud.com/anselmi/moog-patches-2

the other new features are a really good (and expected) upgrade from the existant ones, like the individual wave modulation and the expanded envelope set

marty

Re: Sub Phatty, no oscillator 2 as modulation source?

Post by marty » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:21 am

The Sub Phatty's LFO will track keyboard pitch at up to 2:1.

(See page 29 in the manual.)

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 am

anselmi wrote:and I know the new LFO is fast, but is not the same since it doesn´t track the keyboard
quoting (and correcting) myself :roll:

I just saw the LFO tracking option so it could be a partial solution if the LFO goes very high in rate
the declared max frequency is 1KHz, hat is nice for an LFO but not even close to a full-range oscillator and it will be a limitation to get some lovely FM sounds that are easy to achieve in the other phattys using oscillator 2 as the modulator

also I like the kind sounds that you got by feedbacking modulations with oscillator 2 as source of wave modulation that target itself

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 am

marty wrote:The Sub Phatty's LFO will track keyboard pitch at up to 2:1.

(See page 29 in the manual.)
yeah, notices it and posted but thsi forum is very slow at refreshing...or my newbie status is :lol:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 am

Hey Anselmi!!

It's nice to see you over here :)

I think the LFO can go fast AND track the keyboard as Marty's just said. You should definitely see the manual, especially the hidden features as this may be one.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 am

P.29 indeed states:

LFO KEYBOARD TRACKING AMOUNT
To specify how much the LFO rate tracks the keyboard
pitch, enter Shift mode and press the BANK 2 and
PATCH 4 buttons. Pressing the low C key sets keyboard
tracking to zero, meaning key pitch will have no effect
on LFO rate. Pressing higher keys sets a proportionally
greater amount of keyboard tracking; the middle C on
the keyboard sets 1:1 LFO pitch tracking, meaning the
LFO rate will double when the key pitch doubles. The
high C key sets 2:1 LFO pitch tracking, meaning that the
LFO rate will change by four times for every octave of
pitch change

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 pm

hi stiiiiiiive! don´´t know you was here too! :D

yeah, I noticed the LFO tracking just after posted the first one but as a new member I think my post are somewhat filtered to avoid spam and trolling

I think at some time they will be posted all at once

see you here and at EU!

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:04 pm

anyway, I wonder if the LFO can be pushed over the declared 1KHz limit when it tracks the keyboard

some of my best FM sounds are from using oscillator 2 in high frequency settings, maybe 2 o 3 octaves over oscillator 1

also is missing the lovely sounds that you got when feedback modulation oscillator 2 as both source and destination (wave modulation)

Mr. Amos, is it possible or I´m just daydreaming?

monokit

Post by monokit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 am

anselmi, if you can wait a few days i can demo that for you, once my sub phatty arrived.

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 pm

monokit wrote:anselmi, if you can wait a few days i can demo that for you, once my sub phatty arrived.
thanks a lot monokit! I´ll be waiting for it! please use this thread so I could find it easy :D

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 pm

If you set LFO KB-tracking to the max, it appears to me like you indeed-CAN max out the LFO's rate.

But I'm no expert, so I'll let someone with more experience get the final word on this.

T

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes of course! No SubP yet. ;)

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 am

twelsch42 wrote:If you set LFO KB-tracking to the max, it appears to me like you indeed-CAN max out the LFO's rate
this would be great...like using an audio oscillator indeed, maybe better since you can free both oscillators for other duties

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 am

I'm afraid I wasn't clear. At a certain point the LFO's rate (via keyboard tracking) seems to max out and stop. This seems to be about middle-C (+1 octave) when keyboard-tracking is set to max (high-C). I don't think this is what people are looking for.

I'm a little worried I'm still not being clear.

T

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am

twelsch42 wrote:I'm afraid I wasn't clear. At a certain point the LFO's rate (via keyboard tracking) seems to max out and stop. This seems to be about middle-C (+1 octave) when keyboard-tracking is set to max (high-C). I don't think this is what people are looking for.

I'm a little worried I'm still not being clear.

T
ohhhhh...OK, now I got it... :(

bad news then...now I just have to hope moog decide to include oscillator 2 as a modulation source in a future upgrade...anyway I don´t know if it´s possible or you need a hardware mod to make it happens